Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Has anyone got one of these that you can report back upon? Any problems or second thoughts? I am thinking about it, probably in my favourite 375 H&H flanged magnum or 450/400. I would want the lighter framed model.

Has anyone got one of these that you can report back upon? Any problems or second thoughts? I am thinking about it, probably in my favourite 375 H&H flanged magnum or 450/400. I would want the lighter framed model.

@matt85 has one I believe.

I have a 89B and an 88B both in 450NE. The actual mechanisms are essentially identical with the aft end of the 88B receiver trimmed off "flat" on the 89B. This allows the stock to be trimmer on the 89B and eliminates the corners that project so far back on the 88B action. The differences in the89B receiver required the cocking indicators that are on the 88B to be omitted on the 89B. There are also subtle differences such as a lower profile "English" safety on the 89B.

I have the lighter frame on the 88B and heavy frame on the 89B as I shoot it a fair amount. I figured out that as I get older (75 right now) I can hire a gun bearer for a reasonable amount if I decide it is too heavy to carry. That being said, the barrel contour on the 89B carries the weigh towards the action end to obtain the English balance. For me that seems to make the 89B handle a bit better and feel lighter in the swing..

The stock is he other significant difference. The difference in profile of the stocks is easily discerned but was is not as obvious is the impact of the more open grip on the 89B vs. the 88B. The 88B, as well as the Merkel I had before the 88B; beat my middle finger to death impacting the trigger guard on recoil. It was really painful, created a bruise after just a few shots, and I could find no way of gripping that avoided the damage. The more open grip on the 89B does not cause this problem, at least for me. I should note this painful situation on the 88B can be easily mitigated with one of he rubber trigger guard pads that are advertised for double barrel shotguns.

To date I have no reliability issues with either rifle and have been happy with the Heym doubles.

I have a 89B and an 88B both in 450NE. The actual mechanisms are essentially identical with the aft end of the 88B receiver trimmed off "flat" on the 89B. This allows the stock to be trimmer on the 89B and eliminates the corners that project so far back on the 88B action. The differences in the89B receiver required the cocking indicators that are on the 88B to be omitted on the 89B. There are also subtle differences such as a lower profile "English" safety on the 89B.

I have the lighter frame on the 88B and heavy frame on the 89B as I shoot it a fair amount. I figured out that as I get older (75 right now) I can hire a gun bearer for a reasonable amount if I decide it is too heavy to carry. That being said, the barrel contour on the 89B carries the weigh towards the action end to obtain the English balance. For me that seems to make the 89B handle a bit better and feel lighter in the swing..

The stock is he other significant difference. The difference in profile of the stocks is easily discerned but was is not as obvious is the impact of the more open grip on the 89B vs. the 88B. The 88B, as well as the Merkel I had before the 88B; beat my middle finger to death impacting the trigger guard on recoil. It was really painful, created a bruise after just a few shots, and I could find no way of gripping that avoided the damage. The more open grip on the 89B does not cause this problem, at least for me. I should note this painful situation on the 88B can be easily mitigated with one of he rubber trigger guard pads that are advertised for double barrel shotguns.

To date I have no reliability issues with either rifle and have been happy with the Heym doubles.
Thank you so much The Engineer for this great report. It seems from what I have gleaned, and listening to Heym's president talk on the development of the 89B that this is probably one of the best doubles available, including the high end London makers.
Any chance of some photos? Especially the stock. Will you be taking your Heym to Africa any time soon?

Thank you so much The Engineer for this great report. It seems from what I have gleaned, and listening to Heym's president talk on the development of the 89B that this is probably one of the best doubles available, including the high end London makers.
Any chance of some photos? Especially the stock. Will you be taking your Heym to Africa any time soon?

Good Morning. Here is my 89B in 450/400.
IMG_3970.png

A friend of mine has the older model 88B in 450/400.
Beautiful gun to handle and mild to shoot. It is also very accurate with Hornady factory ammo and Woodleigh handloads. The gun was originally regulated for the Hornady factory loads from the factory. I did not find it uncomfortable to shoot, or found it belted my fingers even from a rest at the rifle range working up loads. We are both 6 foot plus tall guys with larger hands so maybe that helps. Regarding the quality my friend has a few other double guns from other manufacturers and this is a favourite due to the overall quality and accuracy of the gun. I can't comment on the differences between the models as @The Engineer has as I have only handled and used this one. The length of grip looks a bit longer on the 89B that @Lowdi posted above.
I don't have many photo's of it except the ones from when it first arrived on the floor of the gun room. This is the standard wood grade that it came with from the factory.

1607319511480.jpeg

1607319534926.jpeg

1607319585236.jpeg

1607319767590.jpeg

Oh Lowdi, you very lucky person. From the red recoil pad, through the nicely figured stock, the nice plain action, To the classic calibre, that is PERFECT! What have you shot with it? Where are you based? Do you have a buff in your plans?

A friend of mine has the older model 88B in 450/400.
Beautiful gun to handle and mild to shoot. It is also very accurate with Hornady factory ammo and Woodleigh handloads. The gun was originally regulated for the Hornady factory loads from the factory. I did not find it uncomfortable to shoot, or found it belted my fingers even from a rest at the rifle range working up loads. We are both 6 foot plus tall guys with larger hands so maybe that helps. Regarding the quality my friend has a few other double guns from other manufacturers and this is a favourite due to the overall quality and accuracy of the gun. I can't comment on the differences between the models as @The Engineer has as I have only handled and used this one. The length of grip looks a bit longer on the 89B that @Lowdi posted above.
I don't have many photo's of it except the ones from when it first arrived on the floor of the gun room. This is the standard wood grade that it came with from the factory.

View attachment 378515

View attachment 378516

View attachment 378517

View attachment 378518
Thanks GeoffB. The 88 looks to be wonderful too, great platform for the 89.

Oh Lowdi, you very lucky person. From the red recoil pad, through the nicely figured stock, the nice plain action, To the classic calibre, that is PERFECT! What have you shot with it? Where are you based? Do you have a buff in your plans?
Forgot to mention the pancake cheek piece too, extreme class. Did it come with scope mounts? I am not sure I would fit a scope anyway, the instinctive accuracy of a properly fitting double over safari sights is so correct.

Dear Kevin,

Thanks I am based in Germany not far from the factory. The pictures were made when we piked the rifle up in Gleichamberg. I have shot it twice and it has a very smooth recoil. I can directly compare it to my 88 in .375 H&H and .470 NE. They are all regulated to same ammunition. So it easy to compare. At the moment we are planning for August 21 our next buffalo hunt.

The 89 didn’t come with scope mount. I do have on on the 88 .375H&H but you should tell them when you order it. Then they do regulate it with scope. I will use open sights and maybe an Aimpoint red dot or something similar for the 89.

Last edited:
Dear Kevin,

Thanks I am based in Germany not far from the factory. The pictures were made when we piked the rifle up in Gleichamberg. I have shot it twice and it has a very smooth recoil. I can directly compare it to my 88 in .375 H&H and .470 NE. They are all regulated to same ammunition. So it easy to compare. At the moment we are planning for August 21 our next buffalo hunt.

The 89 didn’t come with scope mount. I do have on on the 88 .375H&H but you should tell them when you order it. Then they do regulate it with scope. I will use open sights and maybe an Aimpoint red dot or something similar for the 89.
I have made my mind up, somehow I will get an 89B in 450/400, just like yours. Whare will you hunt in 2021 Lowdi?

Dear Dale,

We are unsure about the area at the moment. Last time in 2017 we hunted in the Umbabat Game Reserve Mpumalanga South Africa. Before this we hunted in Balule Nature Reserve. Both were nice and I think the chances are high to do it again in that regions.

Kevin,
Before you make up your mind finally, take a look at the Chapuis doubles. Champlin Arms has a couple on their website and gives them very high marks and William Larkin Moore in Phoenix is a dealer in Chapuis and always has a few in inventory on their website. I have the Chapuis in 375 H&H and love it.

Following this thread closely. Got a Heym express .404J recently and I’d love to add a Heym double to my battery. Was never sure of the differences between the 88 and 89, thanks for all the info above!

Kevin,
Before you make up your mind finally, take a look at the Chapuis doubles. Champlin Arms has a couple on their website and gives them very high marks and William Larkin Moore in Phoenix is a dealer in Chapuis and always has a few in inventory on their website. I have the Chapuis in 375 H&H and love it.
Thanks Chashardy, I did indeed look at a couple Chapuis in Johannesburg and they are good guns. I particularly liked the 9.3x74R. I am very fond of the lockup design of the Heym though, being the Greener crossbolt.

I have a Chapuis 30-06 double and it is well made and finished. To me it is not quite as well finished as the Heym but it is also less expensive and a good bargain. The only problem I have had with it is the right barrel not ejecting the fired (Rimless) case. JJ fixed this rapidly and at little cost but that is also the reason I had JJ covert my 458 Win Heym 88B to 450NE. Extraction/ejection of rimless and belted cases in a double requires some sort of retracting extractor which does not engage the case as robustly as on a rimmed cartridge. That would not be an issue with a 450/400 as it is a rimmed cartridge.

Also, one of the reasons I chose the Heym double for DG is their interrupting sears. I know a PH that had his older double fire when it fell over after being leaned up against a tree. While nothing will prevent an accidental discharge due to an inadvertently pull trigger, the interrupting sears will prevent a jar off due to a fall, dropping the rifle, falling out of the truck rack, etc. To be honest, at this point I do not remember if the Chapuis has interrupting sears or not but that might be consideration.

Thanks Chashardy, I did indeed look at a couple Chapuis in Johannesburg and they are good guns. I particularly liked the 9.3x74R. I am very fond of the lockup design of the Heym though, being the Greener crossbolt.
Hi Kevin, Unless I am mistaken I do not believe the 89b uses the Greener crossbolt. I still hope to get my wife a 89B in .470. She still loves her older 88B in .450-.400. If I still have it I will share a very interesting e-mail with you concerning both models. Nothing negative, just interesting.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross