Heym 89B

I looked at a new 500 Nitro 89 B at Safari Outdoors this week while we were in J-Burg . It was a very nice feeling rifle !

I looked at a new 500 Nitro 89 B at Safari Outdoors this week while we were in J-Burg . It was a very nice feeling rifle !
Yes, it is magnificent Dakota, I know it well, it has my fingerprints on it! The 89b in 470 is also very nice, it is cheaper.

Read this thread with interest…I am looking at ordering a Heym 89B in 470NE. I am down to the 89b africa vs the 89b Grossbox. My question is has anyone on here compared the two variants side by side (both in 470) and can tell me in practical/functional terms the difference? I understand the extra weight - generally that’s good - at least that’s my opinion - but does it affect balance and it is slightly wider - does that make any difference? Would appreciate to hear from someone who has used/compared both? One other question is on the breako recoil reducer? Any good?? Thanks.

Hi Rookhawk, thanks for the reply. Im aware one of the key differences is it adds weight. To me that is not all bad! Have you actually handled/shot both? Thanks.

Handled yes, shot, no.

Owning a jumbo frame needlessly is just dumb.

There is a prescribed weight for every double rifle caliber. 10.5lbs for a 450-400, 11bs for a 470NE, 13lbs for a .577, 26lbs for a 4-bore.

Why anyone would pay an extra $10,000 to buy a jumbo frame that is fugly and heavy and then decide to carry a 13lb-14lb 470NE, I have no idea.

I believe there is a difference from the grossbox frame and the jumbo frame. The Grossbox is the larger of the standard box lock frames. It the 470 and the African frame it puts the rifle at 10-10.5 lbs in the grossbox it adds about a Lb to that to put the rifle in the 11lb range. It also adds about $1,000 to the gun US vs the jumbo being a lot more.
I went over this in detail with Chris Sells when I ordered my 89b in 450-400 as there was also two frame sizes I could have gone with on it as well being the standard or smaller size. Standard size put the rifle at 10lbs and the light frame put it at 9lbs it was mention that if I wanted to put a scope on the gun to go with the lighter frame and if I did not go with the larger frame.
My 88b in 500 nitro is on the African frame or standard PH frame and it just over 10lbs if I was going to have a 89b built in 470 or 500 I would probably opt for the larger grossbox frame to put the gun in the 11lb plus I think it also makes the bigger calibers balance better with the weight of the frame in the center of the rifle. Just my opinion. I have felt a few 89b in different calibers and sizes.

I didn't know they could use the "Goss Box" in the 470/500.

In Pics,
The Jumbo 88's look good
The Gross Box 89, idk, looks Clunky imo,

Last edited:
It is my understanding there are three frames.

1.) the small bore frame. This is for 9.3x74r and 375HH flanged. You can order a special order 450-400 on this frame.

2.) the standard frame. Roughly the size of a 20 bore action. This is for 450-400, 450NE, 470NE, and 500NE.

3.) the jumbo frame. This is really for 577 and 600. It can be special ordered for 500NE (and I infer 470NE).

Jumbo 88's "42.000 €" starting point. .500-.600

Gross Box 89's "19.800 €" for .577 &
"17.650 €" for .500

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!