Heym 89b 450/400

Beautiful rifle, I think I’m going to have to buy a gross of keyboards as I keep ruining mine from drooling on them.

Kevin,
Sounds like you have the real deal in the accuracy department, congratulations.
For what it’s worth and I know you fretted over it but the effort and cost you went through to get the dot sight and mount exactly right was well worth it. looks really good as well !!!

JP
Thank you JP.

I have to second that. I am not a fan of red dots on doubles. Too often they stick up in the air like some weird appendage. Yours is mounted extremely well, and does not detract from the aesthetics at all. Well done!
Thanks WAB.

Please can anyone let me know actual velocity of factory ammo even if it isn't fired from a Heym?
Sorry I'm late to the party, but six Hornady factory DGX fired from my 24" barrelled Jeffery boxlock averaged 1998 fps, with a high of 2033 and a low of 1967. They had not yet achieved convergence at 50m distance.

But it sounds like you have already found your best handload.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but six Hornady factory DGX fired from my 24" barrelled Jeffery boxlock averaged 1998 fps, with a high of 2033 and a low of 1967. They had not yet achieved convergence at 50m distance.

But it sounds like you have already found your best handload.
Thank you Troubleshooter, yes I think the sweet spot for me is 2015fps.

Kevin I have to say, the proportions 'c that frame on your 450/400 make the 89B .. the Gross Box on the 500 throws me off a bit. Just my opinion. Sorry has no bearing on the thread or the 89, with all due respect.

Sorry for the late reply Kevin, I've only just noticed your question. My Merkel 140AE 450-400 3" with 60 cm barrel (approx. 23.5") shooting Hornady factory loads averages between 2000 fps ( at 5°c) and 2080 fps. (at 30°C) AND there is a consistent difference of about 20 fps between the right and left barrels. Shoots good consistent groups from both barrels despite that difference in velocity on hot or cold days.
Glad you found a load that regulates well. Happy Hunting!

I see Hornady quotes 2050 fps out of a 24" test barrel. So what might be reasonable out of my 26" Heym barrel, 2080fps?

Congrats on having a 26" barrel. I think you're spot on, 30fps every two inches is the rubric I always use.

Sorry for the late reply Kevin, I've only just noticed your question. My Merkel 140AE 450-400 3" with 60 cm barrel (approx. 23.5") shooting Hornady factory loads averages between 2000 fps ( at 5°c) and 2080 fps. (at 30°C) AND there is a consistent difference of about 20 fps between the right and left barrels. Shoots good consistent groups from both barrels despite that difference in velocity on hot or cold days.
Glad you found a load that regulates well. Happy Hunting!
Thank you @Longwalker, appreciated.

Excellent. That’s the Heym mount?

Kevin, love that Heym of yours nice piece of wood as well.
Regulated for 75m is superb!!!
Now to stock up on powder and bullets while you have the load and there is stock.

Love that rifle and almost positive I have settled on the caliber as the best suited, well rounded for a double rifle that will see far more plains game annually than buffalo or elephant. Called Chris today to talk about timing... seeing yours Kevin only fuels the fire!

Love that rifle and almost positive I have settled on the caliber as the best suited, well rounded for a double rifle that will see far more plains game annually than buffalo or elephant. Called Chris today to talk about timing... seeing yours Kevin only fuels the fire!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.46.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.46.41 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.46.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.46.42 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 68

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.