Here's what your taxidermist gets to work with

If the issues are tied to higher levels of bacteria, it would stand to reason that there should be some anti-bacterial that one could apply to the skin to help cut down that issue wouldn't it? Or is that not possible or not effective for some reason I am not aware of?

The taxidermist in Namibia soaked my Eland cape in salt brine with Detol overnight.

I hear you @buck wild that is pretty par for the course stuff unfortunately...

African game certainly tests out the finishing skills.

Before & After nyala...

20211018_123121.jpg
20211119_105743.jpg

20211119_105734.jpg

You should get money back or be offered to shoot all of the animals again, at no charge, on a repeat visit.
That’s not reasonable for these skins as they are within acceptable for mounting. Yes the baboon is a little rough. I’m sure if I went back with same outfitter we could work something out on it.
AES, have you had anything mounted from Africa before? Have you seen the skins after tanning? I suspect lots of capes are saved by taxidermist without the customer knowing the initial condition of them unless was was completely ruined.

Great job Tim!!

Thanks @buck wild, these are the very reason my mentor turns away African stuff. So busy with local NA mounts that he does not have time to do African game. Because he is my best bud he said he would teach me taxidermy so I could do my own stuff, that was 30 years ago now, and its my payback, we now have a mutual friend who safaris twice annually. I work for meals at his place and we get all the one guys African stuff done. Seams the easiest African mount is much more intense than the worse NA animals.

I also spend many hrs in the skinning shed when on safari, I know for a fact on some trips that my skins were done right and put in the salt immediately, yet when I open the crate to find many new cuts, bald spots and repairs I often wonder who and where they came from.

I cannot wait and am looking forward to seeing the completed pics of your miracles with those above.

MB

I am waiting on my Cape Buffalo hide and horns to be shipped from Zim. They’ve been at the shipper since last Sep waiting for the government export permit….or so I’ve been told after asking repeatedly. I have no idea what the storage facility is like and what my taxidermist will receive whenever they finally ship. Frustrating.

Well the cuts----see it every day !

The epidermis loss is from it not drying and staying wet to long. Ever pay attention to how long your skins lay in the salt ? Plus most places I've been, its wet used salt. I have a client that said his lion was in the salt 14 days and they never did pick it up and dry it while he was there. With 10 other animal capes on top of it, it will be a problem.

Skins soaked in bactericides only delay the action of the bacteria. Good dry salt does the same thing.

Another cause is the salted skins being dried in the direct sun or they get to hot sitting waiting to be exported. ( that's why its so important to get them shipped out as quick as possible) Salt in some locations is to high in Alkaline. Problem with these last couple deals is that Whom ever tans them must over work the skin to get it to rehydrate for tanning. Thus slipping and epidermis loss etc. Some also fold the skins up while still wet. Its more complex than most would believe.

Remember----salt doesn't penetrate into a skin to magically preserve it. It pulls all the moisture out a skin so as bacteria has no place to live. Wet bad--- dry good. Wet salt isn't good at drying skins. Failure at this drying process causes problems.
In the perfect environment a skin should be heavily salted in new salt for 24 hours than re-salted in new salt and left for 2 to 4 days more, than picked up and hung on drying rack with good air circulation until barely foldable. With no other skins piled on top of it.
Most problems can be narrowed down to skin care in one way or another.

In general wet tans instead of dry tans will produce a better skin for mounting as far as epidermis loss and damaged parts are concerned.

Some are more delicate than others like Hyena, Impala , Nyala, warthog to name a few
20220623_103210.jpg

This baboon from Limpopo is the best I've seen in a while. It almost has 2 full eyelids. But ears only half way turned.

20220623_103315.jpg

Salting skins is one of the most misunderstood process in taxidermy.

Great post Buck Wild !

Last edited:
Cool thread! I'm hoping to avoid some of the trouble by getting mounts done in South Africa. Then ship em home and hang them on the wall. (If they haven't been beat to hell during shipping lol)

Cool thread! I'm hoping to avoid some of the trouble by getting mounts done in South Africa. Then ship em home and hang them on the wall. (If they haven't been beat to hell during shipping lol)
Oh that’s a whole other BUCKET of problems o_O

Great post Outwestidaho. Yeah I’m aware of some of these other things that can cause problems but when over there I just can’t make myself give up half of every hunting day to baby sit things and that’s cuz I even know what I might be looking for. I just leave it for the taxidermy gods to sort out :LOL: then kick myself later.

A now deceased taxidermist I knew, swore that using cornmeal was the secret to great hides.

Great post Outwestidaho. Yeah I’m aware of some of these other things that can cause problems but when over there I just can’t make myself give up half of every hunting day to baby sit things and that’s cuz I even know what I might be looking for. I just leave it for the taxidermy gods to sort out :LOL: then kick myself later.

I agree I'm the same way to a point. It can interfere with your fun for sure.

A now deceased taxidermist I knew, swore that using cornmeal was the secret to great hides.
I know of an outfit in the Limpopo that puts corn meal on Civet, Genet and small greasy things and than goes in dry new salt. It does help a lot.

That of course was Jimmy Derringer and it is for the small, greasy mostly cats as Idaho has listed. It helps soak up the fat/grease before it saturates the hide much like using an absorbent on an oil spill in your driveway. It won’t fix those nasty cuts.
good discussion

I am no taxidermist but I’ve hunted Africa quite a lot. Other that my first giraffe I’ve never had these kind of issues. If I did I would be taking it up with the outfitter and getting another animal to hunt for free. Actually I got my second giraffe for free as the hair slipped so much do the first one.
Don’t tolerate this crap!
Philip

After my 1st Safari, I had all my mounts (8) done in Africa - all came home in satisfactory condition/quality except for my Zebra rug. When shot, my PH told me to photograph the back since their patterns are unique like fingerprints. After weeks admiring and being complimented on the the rug, I remembered my PH’s advice. Lo and behold, I was shipped a different animal. Was really pissed but figured mine was either lost or destroyed so they substituted another hide. I didn’t voice a complaint but it still makes me mad. Still not 100% sure if the Impala is mine - horns look right but the cape seems different. All the others check out. Sorry if unrelated to the thread. Had to vent.

I am no taxidermist but I’ve hunted Africa quite a lot. Other that my first giraffe I’ve never had these kind of issues. If I did I would be taking it up with the outfitter and getting another animal to hunt for free. Actually I got my second giraffe for free as the hair slipped so much do the first one.
Don’t tolerate this crap!
Philip
Do you want inspect all your tanned hides before mounting?

Do you want inspect all your tanned hides before mounting?
No but major hair loss and holes I would be made aware of. Your point on poor quality skin care in Africa is well taken. I am just saying I am going to complain to my outfitter if there are major problems.
Philip

No but major hair loss and holes I would be made aware of. Your point on poor quality skin care in Africa is well taken. I am just saying I am going to complain to my outfitter if there are major problems.
Philip
No hair loss on anything. Baboon holes= check.
Like I said, kiss your taxidermist . I promise some of your skins have looked like these you just never saw them before the MAGIC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg