Help with Scope choice for Dangerous Game rifle

I’d recommend looking at the 1-8 x 24 LPO scopes, illuminated reticle. Fast acquisition at 1x but can zoom in for those 200 + yard shots at 5-8x. Yes, they are a “combat” type scope but will work well for hunting as well. Always been an open sight guy, but been looking at the LPO scopes a lot and have to say they really are a good option...only problem is the good ones are pricey, $1200 and up. When I build or order a big bore, this is the direction I’ll go, along with the iron sights :)
The LPO scopes can be limiting in mounting options on a magnum bolt gun. They tend to be drained for use with rails which I would not have on a classic safari rifle. I agree on the optics quality, they can be quite good.
For a 1-8 power scope Swaro makes the Z8i 1-8x24.
I know they are not in the same price bracket as the Leupold or NF, but when you are hunting DG...are you really worried about money?

For a 1-8 power scope Swaro makes the Z8i 1-8x24.
I know they are not in the same price bracket as the Leupold or NF, but when you are hunting DG...are you really worried about money?

Price isn’t a problem, for DG want the best I can get. One time expenditure i’ll have for the rest of my time on this rock

Price isn’t a problem, for DG want the best I can get. One time expenditure i’ll have for the rest of my time on this rock
If you are looking at the Swaro check out the 4A-IF reticle...it's pretty sweet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.00.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.00.43 PM.png
    959.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.00.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.00.45 PM.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 93
Check one of these out...dual reticle, first and second plane.....but PRICEY. Watching for when someone is clearing these out some day at a big discount (y)

https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/new-products/1-8x24-pm-ii-shortdot-dual-cc.html
Nice, but not a fan of that style of reticle for hunting, although the MDR isn't too bad.
Looks more like a 3-gun AR style scope.

Either way, Swaro or S&B...you are not going wrong with this kind of glass.
Let me know if you happen into a deal on one of them.

I'll be making a scope purchase this upcoming winter, leaning heavily toward the Swaro.

Nice, but not a fan of that style of reticle for hunting, although the MDR isn't too bad.
Looks more like a 3-gun AR style scope.

Either way, Swaro or S&B...you are not going wrong with this kind of glass.
Let me know if you happen into a deal on one of them.

I'll be making a scope purchase this upcoming winter, leaning heavily toward the Swaro.

Definitely more of a tac style scope but have been reading where this style is being used for hunting more and more....got to look at one recently and it was really slick.

I have the Leupold VX6HD 1-6 illuminated and the Swarovski Z8i 1-8 with the circle-dot illuminated reticle. I may be an outlier, but I think the optical clarity is equivalent.

I prefer the Swarovski reticle for rapid acquisition. Note that the user can select "no illumination", "illuminated dot", or "illuminated circle-dot", giving a great deal of flexibility in the reticle. The Leupold is lighter, and does not offer the illuminated circle option.

For a pure DG rifle, the 8x upper end of the Swarovski isn't needed, but is excellent for a 375 or other longer range rifle. You could buy the Z8i and swap it from rifle to rifle and never need another scope. For DG use, you'll be walking around with the scope on 1x.

Both have true 1 power. This gives an uninterrupted field of view at the boundary between scope-edge and outside-the-scope areas. I like this feature so well that I require it.

You can't beat the Leupold for the dollar. The Swarovski is preferable for its "feel". The Leupold is absolutely adequate and a pleasure to have. Either will serve you very well. I think the Swarovski Z6i is well worth investigating, but have never seen one.

I paid $2600 for the Swarovski and $1050 for the Leupold through my rifle makers, in 2021.

If you have too-short eye relief, I've found that a Picatinny rail mount affords a little more front-to-back adjustment. It may interfere with access to the magazine.

I have a Swaro Z6i, 1-6X24. I like the iluminated dot. My scope has the extended eye relief (an extra inch). I don't really need the EE, but I bought it thinking I would use it on the Mannlicher, which has a rather unique scope mount requirement. I like it a lot. The EE would be very helpful on a DG rifle.

I have a Swaro Z6i, 1-6X24. I like the iluminated dot. My scope has the extended eye relief (an extra inch). I don't really need the EE, but I bought it thinking I would use it on the Mannlicher, which has a rather unique scope mount requirement. I like it a lot. The EE would be very helpful on a DG rifle.
That's good information - I was unaware of EE's availability. I'll remember it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg