Help with a Dakota Rifle

MidwestThumper

New member
Joined
Aug 2, 2021
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Media
1
Hello I recently acquired a Dakota 375h&h with a Kahles scope. My question is the guy didn’t have a lot of experience or information about the rifle. It looks like their model 76. But I’m not sure. Does anyone know how to tell the exact model of this gun and possibly the value of it?
8C373253-D2D8-4EDB-8D17-DFACE9072CE7.jpeg
Arms
 
I have never seen a Factory Dakota 76 without any checkering? It should be marked Dakota Arms on the left side ot the reciever with the number 76 below the lettering. Does it have a serial number?
 
I have never seen a Factory Dakota 76 without any checkering? It should be marked Dakota Arms on the left side ot the reciever with the number 76 below the lettering. Does it have a serial number?
I just checked and it has the number 97 below the lettering.
 
Show us a picture of the left side of the receiver, that might help.
 
Doesn't look like the quality of wood Dakota uses either.
 
I just checked and it has the number 97 below the lettering.

There is your answer, it is a Model 97. The owner may have taken it our of the composite stock and put it in that wood, although, that would make little sense to me.

I would tell you to call them, but they are no longer in business.
 
View attachment 416177
Says 97. Any idea what it’s worth?

I would need to think about it a bit, it likely started life as a Model 97 Outfitter. But those generally are in a composite stock and are coated. Here is the receiver looks coated, but the barrel does not. But being a custom gun, it could have easily been ordered different.

They are super rifles, I love mine.
 
I would need to think about it a bit, it likely started life as a Model 97 Outfitter. But those generally are in a composite stock and are coated. Here is the receiver looks coated, but the barrel does not. But being a custom gun, it could have easily been ordered different.

They are super rifles, I love mine.
I really appreciate the help! Let me know when you think of a price.
 
I really appreciate the help! Let me know when you think of a price.

I was wrong, they did have a Model 97 Hunter, it never was the outfitter. I should have known better.


 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.55.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.55.26 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 307
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.55.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.55.28 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 280
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.55.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.55.39 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 266
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.55.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.55.41 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 294
I was wrong, they did have a Model 97 Hunter, it never was the outfitter. I should have known better.


Thank you. I was thinking around that $2000 mark with the scope.
 
Thank you. I was thinking around that $2000 mark with the scope.
It's a round action, much like a Kimber 8400, rather than being built like a Winchester 70 with the flat bottom action and integral recoil lug, such as the model 76 was built.
They were indeed made with some plain jane stocks at times and sold for quite a bit less than the model 76.
 
The Dakota Model 76 is essentially a Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester with more elegant bolt stop, better finish, ETC. As such is a one piece flat bottom action. The Dakota Model 97 is a "lower cost" presentation of the Model 76 features. To reduce cost the model 97 incorporated it is a two piece receiver and the Model 76 control feed bolt. The Model 97 receiver is round and has a separate recoil lug like the Remington 700. The Dakota recoil lug is much ticker than the Remington recoil lug and you can see it between the receiver and barrel.

That being said, I have both a 76 and a 97 in 300 Win. The Model 97 has the factory upgrade AAA walnut stock. I use the 97 as my plains game rifle as it is more accurate than my model 76. In my opinion the Model 97 is an excellent rifle.

DSC00742.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Dakota 76, though I find that it tends to need more work than I would like considering the cost. The 97 is still no slacker so without knowing what you paid, you have a nice rifle on your hands.
 
I've a Dakota 97 in 300 Dakota, H0371, sold by Don and Norma Allen. From the first owner I have some reload information for this rifle, have yet to test it out. The rifle is remarkable for its slick bolt. It's full CRF and 3 pos safety. I like it very much, even next to my 76's.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,041
Members
169,690
Latest member
bussolarenditura
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top