Help - What is in this J Rigby Case

MMAL

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
Can someone help me with what is in this case.

I obviously see the stock, barrel, snap caps.

What are the other four items with screw driver type handles?
The three circular containers?
T - Handle?
Two drawers?
and Oval wood case?
It looks like the panel holding the three "screwdrivers" lifts up, what is under there?

Thank you.
john rigby.png

3 on the left are Rigby pattern turn screws for the different screws(screw drivers)
1 on the right is the handle for the chamber brush
Circular containers would be oil, wood oil and brush/jags
Oval cleaning patches
T bar could be for bore rod but not sure
Draws, brush, chamber brush and jags.
There could be a bore snake in there too

My wild guess anyway

The 4 items with the wooden handles are called “turnscrews”. I would hazard that the 3 round containers are lubricating oil/s,
But an email to Rigby’s would give you a 100% correct answer. They are very approachable.

Thank you gentlemen. I had not planned to contact Rigby knowing that the collective knowledge here would be impressive.

I believe the T-handle is to remove the striker plates where the firing pins are. Presumably to repair/replace a broken firing pins if needed. I have one of those in a case with a 1920s Rigby double and that is what it is for.

I agree with the other items above about the silver bottles for oil/cleaning solvents. Horn handled turnsrews on the left and horn handle cleaning rod handle on the right.

Beautiful rifle and setup. Top quality!

3 on the left are Rigby pattern turn screws for the different screws(screw drivers)
1 on the right is the handle for the chamber brush
Circular containers would be oil, wood oil and brush/jags
Oval cleaning patches
T bar could be for bore rod but not sure
Draws, brush, chamber brush and jags.
There could be a bore snake in there too

My wild guess anyway
Pretty close. The T-wrench is probably to remove the striker plates to replace a firing pin or is a shell extractor - can’t get enough resolution to tell. The black block is made of horn and is used to “fire” the pins against when putting away the gun. The bottle with the small top contains oil and an applicator. One of the other two contains a petroleum paste for lubing the hinge. The third either contains a set of firing pins or some other lube. Somewhere under one of those two covers is a chamber brush (to attach to the handle on the right) and a patching roll. A two-piece rosewood cleaning rod should be under the barrels. And of course those are two quality snap caps.

I covet it.

Last edited:
Reactions: IvW
MMAL, why the interest in the contents of this case? Are you contemplating a purchase or have you already done so? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MMAL, why the interest in the contents of this case? Are you contemplating a purchase or have you already done so? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They are all empty.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!