Help Shooting Off Sticks

I recently purchased a set of shooting sticks, called Rudolph PH Shooting Sticks. They are basically the similar as the 4StableSticks, but less than half the price. I have not shot with them, but tried them out at home and they feel solid. I will practice with them, and take them with me to Africa next year. :)

View attachment 398191
Hello @PARA45 , small question, when yours fold closed, only front to back (thus creating a bipod) does the back V stick out above the flat rest of the front?

I have found this to be one thing clearly not well designed with the set I have. As when I open it only as a bipod, for a quick shot, the V interferes with a steady rest on the front flat rest.

V.

@VertigoBE, I'll have to look. One thing I noticed is that the back V, closes when you bring the sticks together.

@VertigoBE, I'll have to look. One thing I noticed is that the back V, closes when you bring the sticks together.

No that is not what I meant. You can close in two ways, front-to-back and left-to-right. I mean the first one, so you create a tall bipod.

My bad, now I know what you mean. I'll check when I get home and let you know.

Hello @PARA45 , small question, when yours fold closed, only front to back (thus creating a bipod) does the back V stick out above the flat rest of the front?

I have found this to be one thing clearly not well designed with the set I have. As when I open it only as a bipod, for a quick shot, the V interferes with a steady rest on the front flat rest.

V.

I checked the ones I have, and the "V" does not interfere with the front flat rest. I can take a picture and show you if you need to. I hope this helps.

I checked the ones I have, and the "V" does not interfere with the front flat rest. I can take a picture and show you if you need to. I hope this helps.
A picture would be helpful indeed.

as you can see, for my model, when folded in Bipod or even worse in Monopod config, the back rest interrupts a good placement of the rifle on the front rest:

Monopod:
IMG_3004.jpg

Bipod:
IMG_3003.jpg

Last edited:
@VertigoBE, I couldn't open the attached pictures. Could you please try posting them again? Thank you!

yes sir. I don't believe the ones I have stick out that much. I'll post pictures when I get home.

Here are my shooting sticks, the V is way below the flat part.

sticks.jpg

A picture would be helpful indeed.

as you can see, for my model, when folded in Bipod or even worse in Monopod config, the back rest interrupts a good placement of the rifle on the front rest:

Monopod:
View attachment 398349

Bipod:
View attachment 398350
Maybe you could draw a line on them with a pencil where they interfere when closed (monopod). Then open them up and see if you could live with cutting at the pencil line or if it would't offer enough support. If not, no big deal and wipe off the pencil marks.

I had to cut the tall ends of my BOG-POD saddle to get my crossbow to fit in it without interference. Works just fine for rifle shooting as well and went on safari with us.
1619644582513.png

Have been using a 23 x 35 target to simulate Steenbok etc. Shooting standing off sticksView attachment 249711 at 200m am able to get the entire box on target but not in the vitals. Any tips or techniques for using sticks? 3 weeks to RSA.
One day gave me the best advice shooting off sticks. Today from 100 yards I put my two shots from my DR in 450-400 with Trijicon scope only half an inch from bullseye using my bipod not tripod!!! I square up with only a very slight left foot forward. I let my fore end not my barrel sit in the v. I lock my right leg and slightly bend my left leaning slightly into the sticks while pulling the sticks to me with my left hand. My left hand grips the v not the gun. Best accuracy and I am only using a bipod

I recently purchased a set of shooting sticks, called Rudolph PH Shooting Sticks. They are basically the similar as the 4StableSticks, but less than half the price. I have not shot with them, but tried them out at home and they feel solid. I will practice with them, and take them with me to Africa next year. :)

View attachment 398191
@PARA45 , I got to use these on my safari over the last week and a half with @Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA . I'm buying these when I get home. They are extremely stable in grass or soil, a little tricky on stones. I was able to shoot animals over 400 yards away on these sticks with a Sako 85 in .300 Win Mag. Great purchase on your part.

@Trogon, that's great, and glad to hear from someone who used them out in the field. BTW, the people at Rudolph Optics are wonderful to work with, you will be happy with them.

Thank you to everyone who posted helpful advice on this thread; I am grateful. As I prep for my first trip over, I had one last day at the range today. I have been working with a tripod similar to what my outfitter has for the past 2 months. It has been a learning experience, and I have a long way to go. I went from being happy to be on the cardboard to most of my shots in an 8" circle to all shots in an 8" circle to slowly seeing them tighten. Today was my last day before I leave. I only fired 3 shots. I painted up a side of cardboard to look something like a kudu. It wasn't life size; I measured it at 16" across. I realized after I shot that I should have been aiming further forward, but they pretty much went where I was aiming. I still have a lot to learn... but I am feeling better ahead of leaving. Again, THANK YOU to everyone on this forum who shares so freely from their own knowledge and experience; this is easily my favorite hunting site, because of the people on it.

P1010517.jpg
P1010521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to everyone who posted helpful advice on this thread; I am grateful. As I prep for my first trip over, I had one last day at the range today. I have been working with a tripod similar to what my outfitter has for the past 2 months. It has been a learning experience, and I have a long way to go. I went from being happy to be on the cardboard to most of my shots in an 8" circle to all shots in an 8" circle to slowly seeing them tighten. Today was my last day before I leave. I only fired 3 shots. I painted up a side of cardboard to look something like a kudu. It wasn't life size; I measured it at 16" across. I realized after I shot that I should have been aiming further forward, but they pretty much went where I was aiming. I still have a lot to learn... but I am feeling better ahead of leaving. Again, THANK YOU to everyone on this forum who shares so freely from their own knowledge and experience; this is easily my favorite hunting site, because of the people on it.
Have a great trip, hope you get great animals!

View attachment 401488View attachment 401489
Nice Marlin, by the way!

I have found the PERFECT SHOOTING STICKS !!! I have tried several including the Bi Pod.
The Stable Shooting Sticks are the best I have ever tired. I have no wobble, lightweight and they seem perfect in my shooting. Look and you will buy and by the way I am not associated with these sticks . I am only a satisfied customer.

Use Stable Sticks ( TM )

You will never ever use another "stick"

1622116318498.png
1622116318498.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzannaVal

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg