What caliber for Dangerous Game?

• .375 H&H

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • .404 Jeffery

Votes: 29 67.4%
  • .450 Nitro Express

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
I'm veering off topic a bit but I’m just curious, it is frequently emphasised to practise a lot with a double to be proficient with it, and while I agree one should practise (and a lot) I fail to see how a double differs from any other type of a gun in that department. I don’t think shooting a double is harder that shooting a bolt action of similar power. Is the apparent difficulty in shooting the gun open sighted? Because if it is causing one grief it’s possible to scope a double or put a red dot type device on it. I’ve seen one on Ivan Carter’s double so no shame in it and anyhow that’s no different from shooting bolt action with irons. If recoil is an issue it will be so on any other action with similarly powered cartridge too. One difference is two triggers versus one though there are single triggered doubles too but while it takes practise to get used to the second trigger so it becomes instinctive it’s not really that dramatic. I suppose living in Europe I see a lot of people hunting with doubles and combination guns, scoped and iron sighted both SxS and O/U in small and medium bores and can’t see that these guns are any harder to shoot than other action types. And while doubles are no 1000m guns any decent one is plenty accurate for hunting at normal ranges.
These comments are generalities, for which there are many exceptions - some of whom are fellow correspondents on this forum. But I believe, from my experience, they are generally true observations.

Most double rifles are double trigger designs - certainly the vast majority of English models and copies are. Unlike Europe, relatively few Americans today have a lot of experience using double triggers. Their instinctive employment, particularly in a high stress situation, takes a lot of practice. If one does not have a double shotgun so equipped, that means a lot of rapid second shot drills with the new double rifle. My experience has been that good intentions are all too soon overcome by recoil and expense. Also, over the last few decades, relatively few Americans spend a lot of time over open sights. Most, however, are superb shots with a chosen caliber and telescopic sights. Compared to what I saw while stationed and hunting in Europe, the American rifleman will also spend much, much more time at the range than will the typical European hunter/shooter. He tends to be absolutely compulsive about accuracy. As a result, transition to a similarly equipped .375 is usually very easy, and he employs it very effectively on dangerous game in Africa. What he likely has almost no experience in is driven game using drillings, double rifles, combination guns and the like - something many Continental hunters are familiar with on driven hunts where boar form part of the bag.

Most doubles can be equipped with at least a red dot type sight, but many shooters don't want to do so because it is not "traditional." (I have been disparaged for scoping my Blaser S2 - a double designed for scope use - by "traditionalists" who argue it is the "improper" use of a double - whatever that means.) Assuming the novice dangerous game hunter intends to use his new double traditionally, that brings us back to square one and the need to be totally comfortable using open sights to take game under field - not range - conditions. Again, such proficiency can absolutely be developed - we did it regularly in the military with young urbanites - but it takes effort, a lot of ammunition, and some mechanism to create field conditions. And most new doubles do not come equipped with a drill sergeant.

I remain convinced, for a first time dangerous game hunt, a hunter should do everything in his power to insure the first shot is exactly where it needs to be. Every successful and proficient deer hunter in this country can do that effectively with a quality scoped .375. That precision is usually not nearly so easily achievable with a relatively unfamiliar rifle action and sights.

Compared to what I saw while stationed and hunting in Europe, the American rifleman will also spend much, much more time at the range than will the typical European hunter/shooter.

Man I know plenty of guys here who shoot a box of ammo or even less annually! Trying to alter that mind set is a workout! Few times while suggesting we should all practise regularly I was laughed at out loud, particularly by the older guys. I was even told regular range attendance was a bad idea cause I would go deaf... These same guys would not wear ear muffs provided for free at the range!

Stick with what is familiar and save the extra money for your next African hunt. .375 H&H is more than capable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!