AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, USA, Mexico
Not right now but in the near future I'll be booking a buffalo hunt. My first trip to Africa. Something that's been on my mind for a very long time.

And in doing so, I've been thinking non stop of what rifle I should bring.

I currently have a beautiful older sako magnum Mauser in .375 HH and know this would do the job just fine. But I also have plans of returning after Cape buffalo for a bull elephant. We just built a new house but I have the green light from the wifey for a solo trip to hunt Cape buffalo.

So my thoughts have jumped from three options

My .375HH. Would do well for buff but lacking slightly on the ele.

I have wanted a .404 Jeffery for probably 10 years and it seems a rather popular choice these days. I'd probably try to find a CZ or something and have it worked on locally a bit. $ 3-4K of alittle more maybe

Or a .450 NE double. Probably under 10k budget. Merkel, krieghoff, Sabatti. Always dreamed of owning a double rifle. I shoot SxS shotguns for waterfowl and am fairly proficient with them so the skill would transfer over.

What do you guys think? One hand I'd like to make the memories with one gun but the cost of a double might delay me booking a hunt. I feel a .404 Jeffery might be the best inbetween for my needs.

IMG_1130.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with your dream and get that 404 J. There are many fans here as you know, you will be in good company. And for a bit more you could get a very nice one from AHR.

404 Jeff

If you've got a $3-4K budget for a .404J, I would second Pheroze's advice to give Wayne at AHR a call. The .375 will work both on elk and buff, it certainly has for many in the past and will do so in the future.

Hard to answer your question though for you.

You could have one built on a 375H&H action. I wouldn't use the one you have though...too nice!

it is hard to beat the 375 H&H! great calibre for big game and can take anything you want it to take, elephant is also not an issue.
I also like the .450 N.E as i have one, and its a great calibre! but you will limit yourself to closer shots, about the 50m range.
Its all up to you, but being that you already have the 375 get yourself the 450 as well this way you will have best of both worlds!

Not right now but in the near future I'll be booking a buffalo hunt. My first trip to Africa. Something that's been on my mind for a very long time.

And in doing so, I've been thinking non stop of what rifle I should bring.

I currently have a beautiful older sako magnum Mauser in .375 HH and know this would do the job just fine. But I also have plans of returning after Cape buffalo for a bull elephant. We just built a new house but I have the green light from the wifey for a solo trip to hunt Cape buffalo.

So my thoughts have jumped from three options

My .375HH. Would do well for buff but lacking slightly on the ele.

I have wanted a .404 Jeffery for probably 10 years and it seems a rather popular choice these days. I'd probably try to find a CZ or something and have it worked on locally a bit. $ 3-4K of alittle more maybe

Or a .450 NE double. Probably under 10k budget. Merkel, krieghoff, Sabatti. Always dreamed of owning a double rifle. I shoot SxS shotguns for waterfowl and am fairly proficient with them so the skill would transfer over.

What do you guys think? One hand I'd like to make the memories with one gun but the cost of a double might delay me booking a hunt. I feel a .404 Jeffery might be the best inbetween for my needs.

Maybe you should think about a .416 using 400 grain bullets or I think Woodleigh makes 450 grain.
Maybe you could think about a Sako Brown Bear for fast pointing/snap shooting which maybe very useful if hunting elephant in scrub country.

of your three options i would choose the 450 NE. all of the big 5 should be hunted at close range in order for it to be properly sporting any way.

im not in the 404 Jeffery fan club and very much prefer the 416 RM over it. the 404 uses an odd bullet size which means if you hand load then you are limited to a fairly small selection of bullets. the 416 RM gives you plenty of options including my favorite load of a 300gr Barnes TSX at 2700fps.

-matt

I'd pick the 404J only because you haven't listed the 416Rigby as an option...:D
The 450 double would be nice, but I wouldn't delay a hunt to buy one!

"I shoot SxS shotguns for waterfowl and am fairly proficient with them so the skill would transfer over."

Hmmm? I'd suggest finding someone with a big double and spending some range time before jumping in there.

Also, there are many other good caliber choices in addition to the ones you listed.

I just meant I've handed and shoulder doubles quite a bit so the ergonomics of it would be similar. I know the recoil is on a whole different level.

Though my 10ga SxS shooting 3.5" goose loads isn't what you'd call "for the faint of heart"

As per the calibers, I know there's hundreds out there that would do the job. Sortof a ford,Chevy, dodge thing. Gotta choose one and those are my choices. I've never fancied the .416 Rigby, just personal preference is all.

I know reloading wise a .458 bullet is a lot easier up here. Something to consider for a double too. If I went a double I've always wanted a .450 NE over a .450/400 but wouldn't turn down the right opportunity on a .470 either.

"I shoot SxS shotguns for waterfowl and am fairly proficient with them so the skill would transfer over."

Hmmm? I'd suggest finding someone with a big double and spending some range time before jumping in there.

Also, there are many other good caliber choices in addition to the ones you listed.

.404 !!

I read the replies recommending the double. To be honest for a client coming for a buffalo and maybe an elephant he would be better off with a scoped bolt action. The 404 Jeff is perfect for that and the 375 H&H can deal with the rest.

A double rifle is wanted by all but takes a lot of commitment and practice to become proficient with. If there are multiple buffalo and elephant on the menu, then the double may make sense for a client.

Rather use the rest of the money on more animals.

Last edited:
To be sure, we are all expressing "personal" opinions here. All three have gotten the job done, no question about that. However when it comes to the matter of utility IMHO the 450 would be at the bottom of the heap. Why, simply because if its' limited range. That leaves the 375 H&H and the 404 Jeffery. The most popular bullets for the 375 H&H are 300 Gr. while the common fodder for the 404s are 400 Gr. You are thinking about hunting large animals. To me that means larger bullets, the choice is obvious. Agreeing with me will result in you "socking" away about six grand that will help pay for the buffalo. One added thought is that Dr. Kevin Robertson (author of The Perfect Shot)has stated that a 404 Jeffery shooting a 450 Gr. bullet is optimal for Buffalo.

Ok I’m going say this in short form. If you have wanted a double don’t put a bunch of money into other rifles. I did and should have just gotten the double to begin with. Your 375 will don’t everything you need it to do. That being said several of us on the forum are late comers to th double club and I think to the man we are happy to have a “two pipe”.
If your real desire is the 404 J then go for it and don’t look back.

Thanks guys. Lots to think about and mull over. I think everyone has a good point. I see merit in everyone's opinion and there's more to think about I hadn't considered before.

I like the idea of buying a double and not spending anymore on other rifles. But then I am restricting myself to distances somewhat and like mentioned it might prolong my time to hunting africa.

I've put some feelers out for .404 Jeffery and see what comes back.

I'm about to start a conversion project to get a 404 Jeffery. Several AH members gave me a lot of good advice (@AZDAVE & @PHOENIX PHIL ) on re-barreling options for CZ, Ruger RSM, Winchesters, etc, or having AHR build you one, or buy one from CZ. Phil pointed out that any of the RUM caliber rifles are ideal for conversion, as the 404 Jeff is the parent cartridge to the RUM series. I recently found a Win Mod 70 Super Grade on GB and snatched it up. I plan to send it to Hill Country Rifles and have them do the conversion. The same guy I bought my rifle from has another Win Mod 70 in 300 RUM for sale on GB. Anyone wanting to do a conversion project should jump on it: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/742247319

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 219
The .404 will only recoil slightly more than your .375 H&H and it hits a whole lot harder. Load a 400 - 450 grain soft for buff and get some monolithic solids for ele, and hippo on land, then push them to about 2150-2200 fps and you will be good to go. It will take anything on the planet, not take your arm off (the .450 is wuite a step up from .375), and to boot, you'll have the nostalgia of owning a .404! Its a win-win-win!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosalineCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg