Help me make my list

If you hunt a sable in an area with predators and poachers they are a very different animal than on a game farm
I'm not sure why sable I see on a "game farm" are significantly less wary than the other animals I'm hunting there. But it seems I'm not the only one on this forum noticing this. Kudu, impala, springbuck, and zebra on the same property are skittish as can be but sable are not. Far from it. They are a spectacular mounted trophy but the one I shot and those I have seen were quite approachable. For anyone who wants a spectacular trophy that is a challenging hunt, kudu is tops. Hands down.

I think Waterbuck might be one of the most underrated and under appreciated trophies. I too didn’t have one on my list for my first hunt but after seeing several while bushbuck hunting along the Limpopo River they were quickly added
They can be challenging to hunt given their preference for thick cover. They are a large animal and therefore require some space for a shoulder/pedestal mount. Skulls mounted are similar in appearance to lechwe but they require significant tilting, otherwise the horns are sticking out into the room.
20240525_111709.jpg

Note the missing teeth and glue reside on that skull. The African taxidermist boiled the skull till teeth fell out and then attempted to transplant some from another animal, probably cattle teeth. A real mess to clean up. Idiots. That was strike two with those clowns. I published strike one on here some time ago. Needless to say they didn't get a chance for strike three.

Save buff and sable for Moz. You are on the right path!
I see this advice often but rarely do I see someone follow through and get to Moz or Zim later. By then the rates have gone up. There is nothing wrong with finding a big ranch in SA and taking buff and sable. Some of the best genetics in Africa for buff and sable are in SA. This wasn't the case years ago but it's definitely true today. The ranchers have done a great job managing the genetics and it's the cheapest place to get a good buff and sable. Yes there are fences around the perimeter but you will not see much of that and maybe only on the entry/exit of property. There are also fences in Zim in some places. Don't be afraid to look at SA for buff and sable. That's an outdated topic that has improved tremendously. I took DG in SA and Zim last year and will be back to SA 2x this year for DG. Find a good place with a good PH and you will have a good time.

Animals around camp/lodge tend to be less skittish and more acclimated to people. Any hunt in Kruger is a good example of that and the ranger points to the buff or ele and says go shoot it...not my idea of hunting. My experience with sable in SA have been just the opposite. They were very skittish and spooky whereas the roan would stand around and look at you. I've been in remote parts of Zim and had big sable stand and look at me on a wide open hillside. I think they were curious. No hard and fast rules on these topics.

They can be challenging to hunt given their preference for thick cover. They are a large animal and therefore require some space for a shoulder/pedestal mount. Skulls mounted are similar in appearance to lechwe but they require significant tilting, otherwise the horns are sticking out into the room.
View attachment 608214
Note the missing teeth and glue reside on that skull. The African taxidermist boiled the skull till teeth fell out and then attempted to transplant some from another animal, probably cattle teeth. A real mess to clean up. Idiots. That was strike two with those clowns. I published strike one on here some time ago. Needless to say they didn't get a chance for strike three.
Not sure why you felt the need to quote/explain display of taxidermy, their habits, and your over boiling to me. 7 African Safaris, with 9 different outfitters, across multiple countries has given me a pretty basic understanding and allowed me to agree with the OP’s statement about how seeing them can quickly ad them to a hunters list who might’ve overlooked them from photos and someone else’s taxidermy.

If it was me, I’d add an Eland and Nyala. Both are found in many areas of Limpopo. Eland quality can be excellent, upper 30” range. Nyala, while generally not as large as can be found in Zululand, can be good quality. I shot an old, heavy Nyala with Ernest Dyason’s Spear Safaris that went just under 27”.

Hunted Limpopo three times, Common Reedbuck and Black Wildebeest are nor native to the Province, Tsessebe,.....maybe you can find them in some farms.

There are huge Cape Elands, just find the right outfitter.

Warthogs, yes, I hunted a few there.

Going to limpopo region in June 26, my package is blue wildebeest, springbok, blesbok and 1 management animal but I will be adding on a gemsbok for sure but will also leave room in the budget for either a kudu, red hartebeest or zebra (basically whatever the bush provides) but also leaving room for future safaris in zimbabwe and tanzania where I am sure I'll collect some fine species to complete my list

Not sure why you felt the need to quote/explain display of taxidermy, their habits, and your over boiling to me. 7 African Safaris, with 9 different outfitters, across multiple countries has given me a pretty basic understanding and allowed me to agree with the OP’s statement about how seeing them can quickly ad them to a hunters list who might’ve overlooked them from photos and someone else’s taxidermy.
Not sure what's your problem. The OP is looking for suggestions on which animals to pick for his next trophy quest. I think it's a good idea to let him know how some trophies display when he's making his choice. Waterbuck and lechwe horns look somewhat similar standing in the wild but they don't set on the wall the same. If I had a choice, I would choose lechwe because they are prettier, in my mind anyway, the skulls mount better, and they don't stink. Waterbuck have an awful skunky odor and yes it was noticeable on my skull until I removed the prehorn stuff near the bases. If deciding to go with waterbuck and only a skull, I definitely would not let the taxidermist there mount it to a plaque or the horns will stick out into the room. Probably okay if he lives in a castle with fifteen foot ceiling but a waterbuck skull mounted flat to the wall can be obtrusive in a normal home. I suggest having a local taxidermist on this side do something with the skull similar to pronghorn euro setup.

So, if he decides to put waterbuck on his list, and they are certainly a worthy critter in my experience, he should know what he's in for re display options. Hope that helps him.

Am
I see this advice often but rarely do I see someone follow through and get to Moz or Zim later. By then the rates have gone up. There is nothing wrong with finding a big ranch in SA and taking buff and sable. Some of the best genetics in Africa for buff and sable are in SA. This wasn't the case years ago but it's definitely true today. The ranchers have done a great job managing the genetics and it's the cheapest place to get a good buff and sable. Yes there are fences around the perimeter but you will not see much of that and maybe only on the entry/exit of property. There are also fences in Zim in some places. Don't be afraid to look at SA for buff and sable. That's an outdated topic that has improved tremendously. I took DG in SA and Zim last year and will be back to SA 2x this year for DG. Find a good place with a good PH and you will have a good time.
Amen. Thanks for posting this

Not sure what's your problem. The OP is looking for suggestions on which animals to pick for his next trophy quest. I think it's a good idea to let him know how some trophies display when he's making his choice. Waterbuck and lechwe horns look somewhat similar standing in the wild but they don't set on the wall the same. If I had a choice, I would choose lechwe because they are prettier, in my mind anyway, the skulls mount better, and they don't stink. Waterbuck have an awful skunky odor and yes it was noticeable on my skull until I removed the prehorn stuff near the bases. If deciding to go with waterbuck and only a skull, I definitely would not let the taxidermist there mount it to a plaque or the horns will stick out into the room. Probably okay if he lives in a castle with fifteen foot ceiling but a waterbuck skull mounted flat to the wall can be obtrusive in a normal home. I suggest having a local taxidermist on this side do something with the skull similar to pronghorn euro setup.

So, if he decides to put waterbuck on his list, and they are certainly a worthy critter in my experience, he should know what he's in for re display options. Hope that helps him.
You quoted my post which was a direct reply to the OP’s post about how he’s already shot a Waterbuck. The OP stated that animal wasn’t on his list but after seeing one while hunting it was a must add. He also stated he didn’t want another unless it’s over 30 inches

If it was me, I’d add an Eland and Nyala. Both are found in many areas of Limpopo. Eland quality can be excellent, upper 30” range. Nyala, while generally not as large as can be found in Zululand, can be good quality. I shot an old, heavy Nyala with Ernest Dyason’s Spear Safaris that went just under 27”.
A 30" nyala was taken already this season in Limpopo...I was going to focus on finding him this season but he is down. There aren't many that big around.

I appreciate all the input guys. Still got some time before making a final decision but I think I've got a good plan. Main goal will be a nice kudu and bushbuck then a giraffe and klipspringer with any quality warthog, steenbuck, and grey Duiker being targets of opportunity. Sent a email to my PH to see what his thoughts on the Klipspringer are. I know he has a abundance of the other 3 but never saw a klipi on our hunt we also never targeted one.

I appreciate all the input guys. Still got some time before making a final decision but I think I've got a good plan. Main goal will be a nice kudu and bushbuck then a giraffe and klipspringer with any quality warthog, steenbuck, and grey Duiker being targets of opportunity. Sent a email to my PH to see what his thoughts on the Klipspringer are. I know he has an abundance of the other 3 but never saw a klipi on our hunt we also never targeted one.
He might have access to another area with Klipspringer. This is where telling him they’re on your list well in advance helps so he can coordinate and make plans to hunt somewhere with them.

100% correct and another factor is that depending on your list, the PH will have to get a permit in advance. That's why we do all this planning in advance. Somethings can be taken in the moment because you like them and there is quota on it. Somethings can only be taken with advance paperwork in place. I'm going for another croc and a grysbok this summer...both require advance permits.

100% correct and another factor is that depending on your list, the PH will have to get a permit in advance. That's why we do all this planning in advance. Somethings can be taken in the moment because you like them and there is quota on it. Somethings can only be taken with advance paperwork in place. I'm going for another croc and a grysbok this summer...both require advance permits.
Exactly. Grey Duiker are not one that require a permit, Blue Duiker on the other hand are a CITES II animal, and are strictly regulated, requiring special permit, etc. Letting your PH know ahead allows him to make the best game plan possible for your hunt. Best of luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68ok9

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!