WildWill

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Will be heading back to South Africa's Limpopo province next summer and am trying to decide on what would be best to focus on. This will only be my second trip I learned a lot on my first trip but am still far from knowledgeable on anything to do with african hunting. One of the things I learned is that certain animals are located more heavily or are of a better quality depending upon regions. I'd like to focus on killing large mature specimens of each animal on my list. With that in mind after seeing the area this year and talking with my PH I've decided to focus on a kudu a my main goal and then a bushbuck. I'd like to add 2-4 more animal's to the list. Here's a list of animals I'd like to kill which screams Limpopo to you?
Giraffe
Klipspringer
Red hartebeest
Common reedbuck
Eland
Gemsbok
Tssebee
Black wildebeest
Springbok
Warthog
Steenbuck
Grey Duiker

I would add a Klippie.

I bet it would take you to a cool area/property/ranch. They seem like a fun tiny to hunt. I bet you would have a good time searching the cliff sides.

I have also seen multiple Limpopo sponsors advertise klipsiringer and the photos provided are of course outstanding specimens.

I saw a group of the little buggers in Namibia and it made me excited. You should do it.

It would be Eland and Gemsbok for me. Just for bang for buck I would be on a warthog as well if I had never hunted one.
Gems aren’t really native to Limpopo and aren’t “bang for your buck” for that reason

$1200bucks in Limpopo vs in Kalahari or Namibia where you can shoot a trophy for $500 bucks.

Gems aren’t really native to Limpopo and aren’t “bang for your buck” for that reason

$1200bucks in Limpopo vs in Kalahari or Namibia where you can shoot a trophy for $500 bucks.
There certainly weren't a ton in the area I hunted and after comparing prices to other provinces they're definitely more expensive in Limpopo. But is the quality of those found in Limpopo above average? If not sounds like gemsbok maybe best saved for another region.

Last edited:
It would be Eland and Gemsbok for me. Just for bang for buck I would be on a warthog as well if I had never hunted one.
Really would like a eland just don't know if Limpopo would be a good choice. It would go well with the kudu and bushbuck sense I already have a Nyala. I want a warthog but am treating it more as a incidental than targeted animal for now.

Kudu and bushbuck definitely, but given the rest of your list I’d go giraffe, warthog, duiker, reedbuck, maybe a klipspringer. I’d take the rest in different areas where they are native or better hunting opportunities are available. I’d save eland, springbok, gemsbok, hartebeest, steenbok for a Namibian hunt. I’d save black wildebeest and springbok for the Karoo in eastern cape. Eland are my favorite animal to hunt but only under certain conditions. Most eland in Limpopo are taken on small game farms and it just isn’t what eland hunting is. I’m assuming you took impala, blue wildebeest and burchell zebra on your first hunt?

There certainly weren't a ton in the area I hunted and after comparing prices to other provinces they're definitely more expensive in Limpopo. But is the quality of those found in Limpopo above average? If not sounds like gemsbok maybe best saved for another region.
Most I’ve seen seem below average to me. Gemsbok generally have much larger horns in areas without brush. I was also told they don’t do well with the ticks in Limpopo.

Red lechwe. They are a beautiful trophy, especially skull mount.
17165842008363797983168910547406.jpg

Hartbeest also make an interesting skull mount.
20240524_170049.jpg

I think you will find bringing back skulls for mounting is fast becoming the only reasonably economical way to import trophies.

If you have not gotten an Impala and Blue Wildebeest go for those. Not sure if these are representative of Limpopo but the Duiker and Steenbok on your list caught my eye. I hunted both lately and they were a lot more fun than I had counted on, challenging. Small, fast moving targets.

Also, Id damn sure go for that warthog if you dont have one. There are plenty of people on AH that have done multiple safaris and have never gotten one, maybe never even had a chance to but upon reflection everyone seems to want one to round out a good collection. Just my two cents.

Red lechwe. They are a beautiful trophy, especially skull mount.
View attachment 608104
Hartbeest also make an interesting skull mount.
View attachment 608106
I think you will find bringing back skulls for mounting is fast becoming the only reasonably economical way to import trophies.
Only did skulls and flat skins on my animals from last trip. Figured I'd rather do another hunt then a bunch of taxidermy.

If you have not gotten an Impala and Blue Wildebeest go for those. Not sure if these are representative of Limpopo but the Duiker and Steenbok on your list caught my eye. I hunted both lately and they were a lot more fun than I had counted on, challenging. Small, fast moving targets.

Also, Id damn sure go for that warthog if you dont have one. There are plenty of people on AH that have done multiple safaris and have never gotten one, maybe never even had a chance to but upon reflection everyone seems to want one to round out a good collection. Just my two cents.
Yes I killed a impala, blue wildebeest, burchell zebra, Nyala, blesbok, and a waterbuck last trip. The only one I'm interested in duplicating would be a waterbuck if it's a 30 incher. I put some effort in to killing a Duiker and Steenbuck but no luck but it was fun and challenging. My friend did kill around a 4 inch Steenbuck on our hunt.

Really would like an eland just don't know if Limpopo would be a good choice. It would go well with the kudu and bushbuck sense I already have a Nyala. I want a warthog but am treating it more as an incidental than targeted animal for now.
Hold out for a big pig! Nice ivory on a pig is a great trophy. Hunt hard for one!

Will be heading back to South Africa's Limpopo province next summer and am trying to decide on what would be best to focus on. This will only be my second trip I learned a lot on my first trip but am still far from knowledgeable on anything to do with african hunting. One of the things I learned is that certain animals are located more heavily or are of a better quality depending upon regions. I'd like to focus on killing large mature specimens of each animal on my list. With that in mind after seeing the area this year and talking with my PH I've decided to focus on a kudu a my main goal and then a bushbuck. I'd like to add 2-4 more animal's to the list. Here's a list of animals I'd like to kill which screams Limpopo to you?
Giraffe
Klipspringer
Red hartebeest
Common reedbuck
Eland
Gemsbok
Tssebee
Black wildebeest
Springbok
Warthog
Steenbuck
Grey Duiker
Have you considered nyala? I believe they are native to the Limpopo, and look.great on the wall. I killed a great one in Zimbabwe in 2022. Not too far from the area where you're going. Maybe the best hunt on your list is the eland. I haven't taken one on my trips, but now I 'm sorry I didn't make a greater effort to take one. We blundered into a big waterbuck first, then didn't want to.spend the money on an eland.

I’m headed to Limpopo in about 2.5 weeks. My list is Blue wildebeest, zebra, impala, warthog, kudu, and bushbuck. I wanted to stick to species that offered high quality in that area. Kudu and bushbuck are the ones I added specifically because of being in Limpopo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelicitasK

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!