Help about Spotting Scope

If your going to use this at the range as well as hunting investing in ED glass will be expensive but worthwhile

I use a Leupold spotting scope on a weekly basis. However it is not the cheap one. Mine offers a significant amount of eye relief that is necessary because I wear glasses. The other brands of spotting scopes do not offer much eye relief and consequently they cut down the field of view considerably. I've been using mine since 1987 and have never had any problems.

I'm looking at buying a spotting scope.
Never owned one.
Use for hunting only sparingly.
Mostly at the range 100-400 yards.
Angled or Straight?? please school me on this.

I buy a lot of Leupold.
Don't want to spend more than $500.
Any good scopes to be had for this or less and is one of these Leupold's a good choice?

Leupold SX-1 Ventana Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm Armored Black

Leupold Golden Ring Compact Spotting Scope 15-30x 50mm Shadow Gray

thanks.
Hey there, I’m currently using the Leupold 20-60x80mm Straight SX 1 Ventana. It’s really a nice one with affordable price. But it is not good at low light because of dims at magnification. If you use it at daylight, it must give you its best performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a steiner commander 15x80 tripod mounted binoculars at our lodge on the Zambezi. They are great, have internal compass and ranging reticle. Your eye does not get tired like they do with a spotting scope.

I have a couple of friends who swear by a similar setup...might not work for sheep hunters but would be perfect for elk hunting.

I use a steiner commander 15x80 tripod mounted binoculars at our lodge on the Zambezi. They are great, have internal compass and ranging reticle. Your eye does not get tired like they do with a spotting scope.

I have the angled Vortex Razor with the 65 mm objective for the range and hunting. I also have a pair of Leica 10x42 for game spotting and assessing.

As others have said, by the best glass you can afford.

Hello dude, no doubt that your suggested binocular is good. But can you use it as a spotting scope? Also, I do a little study about this binocular and found that it’s quite heavy. You should use a tripod with it. And you shouldn’t use it for stargazing.

We have the Swarovski spotting scopes, some off 'm have cool features as adaption rings to install a camera/smartphone so you can use'm for digiscoping. The quality of an optical device is mainly based on the quality of the lenses and glass used. The higher the content of Fluor in the glass the better optics can be made. High end brands like Swarovski or Zeiss use glass with the highest level of Fluor available (only 2 sources ww) resulting in top class optics which will outperform the "made in japan" brands . Better view during low light, less blurred edges,... are the result as is the price of coarse :(

WKR,

FRANK

Swarovski spotting scope is also a good scope. I like some of its features. But there is no eyepiece with it. You must purchase an eyepiece separately. However it an outstanding scope. You can use it for hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!