Hello from Tanzania

Fulvio..I am curious to know your opinion of the .318WR after using it..?

Fulvio

Can the Selous elephant population recover from yet another poaching epidemic? I’m thinking it will be atleast 10 years before elephant hunting is even mentioned again in Selous?

Fulvio

Can the Selous elephant population recover from yet another poaching epidemic? I’m thinking it will be atleast 10 years before elephant hunting is even mentioned again in Selous?
I was going to ask the same thing. I was thinking that maybe with the limited elephant permits in Tanzania it would be better if hunters only targeted 50 to maybe 60 pounders as a max weight. Hopefully, that would preserve the genetics so that when elephant hunting becomes popular again in Tanzania hunters would get to see a much higher population of monster elephants.

I was going to ask the same thing. I was thinking that maybe with the limited elephant permits in Tanzania it would be better if hunters only targeted 50 to maybe 60 pounders as a max weight. Hopefully, that would preserve the genetics so that when elephant hunting becomes popular again in Tanzania hunters would get to see a much higher population of monster elephants.

50 to 60 pounders are a wet dream right now in Selous.

Oh yes, absolutely. My 50 to 60-pound maximum was just an example. My point being is that maybe, at least for the next few years, Tanzania should focus heavily on legal maximums and start encouraging hunts for cull animals at a lower cost.

Fulvio, welcome to the forum. Since you claim that you are not a good story teller, how about sharing some pictures of your hunts. :)

Fulvio..I am curious to know your opinion of the .318WR after using it..?
I used the 318 which belonged to my late father in the early 70's, a caliber at the time revered by some though possibly for the want of something better than the popular 7x57.
The only brand of ammo available was made by Kynoch, came in packs of 10 and also offered the enticing solid bullet though not impressed with the softs which at times would come apart.
Needless to say that even if it was not legal and if the opportunity presented itself, it would still do the job on Buffalo and more.

It has since been "retired" and standing alongside other rifles in the showcase.

Would I take it out in the field again? No, as I prefer the 300 Win Mag.

The Selous has indeed taken a pounding but poachers have also taken a pounding in recent years. I have been reliably informed that more and more elephants are routinely being seen and their behaviour is more relaxed, an indication therefore that they are not being persecuted as before.

Legal elephants have also been seen on my informant's concessions though not on the client's wish list nor licence.

For their numbers to increase it will take time provided the corridors between Mozambique will be kept open - I have heard that large concessions south of the Selous have been singled out for mining of minerals and such activity may be a deterrent for their freedom of movement.

For an elephant to qualify as legal, at least one tusk must be 20kgs/+ or 1.60m/+ in length and for a licence to be issued, the client must first obtain a CITES import permit from their respective country of residence.

To the best of my knowledge Tanzania has never had a fixed quota for elephant as the numbers shot have always been on the low side and definitely not enough to cause any concern.

Fulvio, welcome to the forum. Since you claim that you are not a good story teller, how about sharing some pictures of your hunts. :)
Photos I have but am clueless on (1) how to post them and (2) most have the client in the frame and which I cannot share for obvious reasons.
I will however request my daughter, who is more computer-savvy than her old man, to post for me those that would qualify for public viewing without causing any character assassinations.

The Selous has indeed taken a pounding but poachers have also taken a pounding in recent years. I have been reliably informed that more and more elephants are routinely being seen and their behaviour is more relaxed, an indication therefore that they are not being persecuted as before.

Legal elephants have also been seen on my informant's concessions though not on the client's wish list nor licence.

For their numbers to increase it will take time provided the corridors between Mozambique will be kept open - I have heard that large concessions south of the Selous have been singled out for mining of minerals and such activity may be a deterrent for their freedom of movement.

For an elephant to qualify as legal, at least one tusk must be 20kgs/+ or 1.60m/+ in length and for a licence to be issued, the client must first obtain a CITES import permit from their respective country of residence.

To the best of my knowledge Tanzania has never had a fixed quota for elephant as the numbers shot have always been on the low side and definitely not enough to cause any concern.
What are your opinions on the elephants found in the north of the country? How are they doing compared to the Selous at this moment and is the poaching comparable to the Selous?

Photos I have but am clueless on (1) how to post them and (2) most have the client in the frame and which I cannot share for obvious reasons.
Hi @Fulvio, Just drag and drop any images directly into your posts and they will upload automatically.

What are your opinions on the elephants found in the north of the country? How are they doing compared to the Selous at this moment and is the poaching comparable to the Selous?

Night and day north vs south. In and around Serengeti elephants have increased in the past 20 years and have good age structure. Mike Fell has taken some really nice ones in Maswa in the past couple of years. You can say the same things for elephant numbers in and around Taringire NP. Now realize we are not talking total numbers compared to what used to exist in Selous but increasing numbers with good age structure nonetheless

Thanks Fulvio

I did not imply that poaching has not been brought under control in Selous and I believe that it has probably going back to 2015. Nonetheless they need another 10 years with continued protection in my opinion but it is good to see them settling down and on the increase again

Night and day north vs south. In and around Serengeti elephants have increased in the past 20 years and have good age structure. Mike Fell has taken some really nice ones in Maswa in the past couple of years. You can say the same things for elephant numbers in and around Taringire NP. Now realize we are not talking total numbers compared to what used to exist in Selous but increasing numbers with good age structure nonetheless
Oh wow, I thought Tanzania’s elephants had gone to shit as a whole. Great to hear that they’re doing well up in the north and around a classic safari destination. What’s the biggest elephant harvested by one of Mike Fell’s clients? As of late I mean.

Oh wow, I thought Tanzania’s elephants had gone to shit as a whole. Great to hear that they’re doing well up in the north and around a classic safari destination. What’s the biggest elephant harvested by one of Mike Fell’s clients? As of late I mean.
Oh wow, I thought Tanzania’s elephants had gone to shit as a whole. Great to hear that they’re doing well up in the north and around a classic safari destination. What’s the biggest elephant harvested by one of Mike Fell’s clients? As of late

60 to 90 lbs in 2020 5 bulls I believe

That’s very good to hear. I know people like to say that the days of 100 lb tuskers are over but that’s not entirely a bad thing. 90 pounds is huge and I’d be excited if I took a 60 pounder.

Welcome to AH!

Benvenuto! Looking forward to gleaning from your experience as well.

Welcome to AH and the posting side! This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg