Hello from E Washington

Hello Gunner, welcome to AH and good luck with your trip.

Hello Gunner4blue,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I salute you for your diligent rifle practice.
That very thing would save quite a few lost opportunities and prevent so many sad faces around countless camp fires.
You are a smart man.

Anyway, your rifles are just right for Africa.
I like both the .30-06 with the original Hornady, old fashioned 180 to 220 gr round nose softs and the .375 H&H with 300 gr round nose softs.
I have used all the above in both Africa and Alaska, with perfect satisfaction.

I don’t know what scopes if any, you have on your rifles.
Today’s trend in big game hunting is toward clownishly huge front lenses and way over-powered magnification scopes.
They’re also often festooned with gadgetry and gimmicks (mil-dot reticules, spirit oil leveling gauge, battery powered range finders, illuminated reticules, some with an extra feature to select multi colors, over-sized, external target turrets / adjustment knobs and it never ends).
I’m way out of style these days.
However, the old saying, If it works, don’t fix it” applies heavily in my life, including specific sporting goods I have been enjoying perfect success with all along.

On my hard recoiling .458 Lott, I use only iron sights.
Admittedly I’ve never shot anything with the Lott except paper targets.
But if I was to hunt with it, I would not scope it, for fear of cutting my face with the scope, during this rifle’s “sporty recoil”.

Anyway, my favorite hunting rifle of all time is my old Brno Model 602 Magnum, caliber .375 H&H.
On this splendid rifle, I have installed a sadly out of production, Zeiss 4x scope, in Alaskan Arms lever rings.
If I had to spend my last years with but one rifle, this Brno would be the one.
And if someone tried to put a huge and fancy clown scope on it, they’d have to endure the embarrassment of getting punched out by a wrinkled up old prune.

Anyway bullets ya, the original Hornady DGS bullet was reportedly too soft for much over about 2,000 - 2,100 fps.
Today’s version of that bullet has the core bonded to the jacket.
As such, it is now enjoying a very good and well deserved great reputation, even at higher velocities.

I do not know what velocity you’re getting from your .375 caliber / 300 gr bullet hand load.
However, anywhere between 2,400 and 2,550 fps will likely work well for your buffalo.
Myself and others no doubt, are looking forward to your triumphant return and your subsequent Hunt Report.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Velo, I'm using a Leopold vx3 1.5x5 w/German #4 reticle on the .375. I have a 3x9 Ziess on the '06.
I'm getting avg 2558fps from the 300gr .375 loads and 2770 from the .30 180gr.
Gonna go practice -200 yds off sticks today w/'06 and some off hand 50yd w\.375.... Just in case.

Mekaniks, I'll be hunting plains game with Shabalala Safaris and Buffalo with Africa Maximum Safaris.
Very good(y)

Looking forward to the hunt report when you get back

Velo, I'm using a Leopold vx3 1.5x5 w/German #4 reticle on the .375. I have a 3x9 Ziess on the '06.
I'm getting avg 2558fps from the 300gr .375 loads and 2770 from the .30 180gr.
Gonna go practice -200 yds off sticks today w/'06 and some off hand 50yd w\.375.... Just in case.
Good scopes.
Now with your diligent practice, your first trip to Africa should be a perfect success.

New member here, but I have been gleaning info off this forum for a while. I'm an avid shooter and big game hunter, though recent years I have been mainly persuing upland birds. I'll be travelling to Africa -SA for the first time, this fall, staying 2weeks. Something I've wanted to do since I picked up a P H Capstick book in '76. I'll be hunting Plains game, hoping for a good Kudu and zebra, along with impala and a couple others. The following week I'm after Buffalo.

I have a mod 70 featherweight in.30-06 W/ a 3x9 Zeiss, using 180gr Hdy interlocks over 57gr H4350 that gives me excellent accuracy. For Buffalo I have a Whitworth .375H&H topped with a VXIII 1.5x5 Leopold that shoots very well with 300gr Hdy DGS and DGX over 69.5gr RL15 at same point of aim. Shooting
practice weekly, various position & sticks, dry fire at game pics daily.

I am super excited about this trip & read so much info on prep on this site. So thanks to all you experienced African hunters. I'll give a report when I get back in October. Throw any advice this way and Wish me luck!
Welcome to AH....and congratulations on going on your first safari. Now you will be addicted like the rest of us. Enjoy every second and take lots of pictures. Happy Adventures. Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.