Hello Everybody

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard Professor Mawla. I was on vacation when you joined which is why I haven't welcomed you sooner. Kawshik, Poton, Capt. Newaz and PS have all been exciting contributors to AH. Having already read some of your posts I know that you are "cut from the same cloth." I'm looking forward to reading about your previous as well as current exploits.

Welcome aboard Professor Mawla. I was on vacation when you joined which is why I haven't welcomed you sooner. Kawshik, Poton, Capt. Newaz and PS have all been exciting contributors to AH. Having already read some of your posts I know that you are "cut from the same cloth." I'm looking forward to reading about your previous as well as current exploits.
@Shootist43
Firstly , I hope that you enjoyed a good and safe vacation . It is my pleasure to be here and to make your acquaintance . I certainly hope that you find something enjoyable in my writings .

Hello Professor Mawla,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

From what I have read, the original / 1950’s vintage ammunition in the .458 Winchester Magnum, had some problems.
However, evidently when loaded with today’s modern ammunition, it has developed into an excellent cartridge for large, dangerous animals.

For a short time, I once owned a Heym double rifle, Model 88B, in .458 Winchester.
Unfortunately, did not get a chance to hunt with it because, I needed the money more than the rifle and had to sell it.

As others have already said, I too look forward to your hunting stories.
Thank you for joining.

Kind Regards,
Paul (Velo Dog)
@Velo Dog
Thank you very much . Heym makes really good quality rifles . Normally , the .458 WM is not a suitable calibre for a double rifle ( since it is a rimmed high pressure calibre which was originally designed for magazine rifles ) . At the time when I published my book , I trialed a few double rifles in .458 WM calibre . One was a Holland & Holland sidelock ejector . One was an Auguste Francotte sidelock ejector . One was a Dumoulin over under . One was a Heym Model 88B boxlock ejector . Interestingly enough , only the Heym did not experience any extraction issues at all .
What brand of ammunition was your Heym Model 88B regulated for ? The sample which I trialed , was regulated for Federal Trophy Bonded Bear claw and Sledgehammer Solid 500 grain ammunition .

Oh , and here is my personal .458 WM .
2234E424-4864-4EB6-A580-F3A3469FF398.jpeg

Custom built by Flaig’s in Millvale , Pennsylvania on a Winchester Enfield 1917 action with a Douglas Premium barrel and a French walnut stock . It was built in 1973 .

@Velo Dog
Thank you very much . Heym makes really good quality rifles . Normally , the .458 WM is not a suitable calibre for a double rifle ( since it is a rimmed high pressure calibre which was originally designed for magazine rifles ) . At the time when I published my book , I trialed a few double rifles in .458 WM calibre . One was a Holland & Holland sidelock ejector . One was an Auguste Francotte sidelock ejector . One was a Dumoulin over under . One was a Heym Model 88B boxlock ejector . Interestingly enough , only the Heym did not experience any extraction issues at all .
What brand of ammunition was your Heym Model 88B regulated for ? The sample which I trialed , was regulated for Federal Trophy Bonded Bear claw and Sledgehammer Solid 500 grain ammunition .

Oh , and here is my personal .458 WM .
View attachment 363849
Custom built by Flaig’s in Millvale , Pennsylvania on a Winchester Enfield 1917 action with a Douglas Premium barrel and a French walnut stock . It was built in 1973 .

Dear Professor,

I like the looks of your .458 and I have always thought the M1917 Enfield was a wonderful foundation on which to build a large bore hunting rifle.

Yes, I feel that the Heym 88B Model is a lot of rifle for the money.
They are not cheap to buy but way cheaper than many other maker’s double that, as you discovered are not necessarily as reliable as the good old German engineered, heavy duty 88B is.

My Heym 88B was, according to the factory paperwork, regulated for Remington factory loaded ammunition with 500 grain solids (“full metal jacket”).
Hated to sell it but wanted to go hunting in Africa again and so, money from the rifle pretty much paid for my most recent Namibian safari (August 2017).

Kind Regards,
Paul.

Hello ,
My name is Professor Anayeth Mawla . I am based in Bangladesh and a close friend of Major Poton Khan , whom I understand is a forum member here . I am a hunter , a former war time serviceman ( conscription based ) and an author . I teach Environmental Management to high school children , for a living . I have hunted in Bangladesh , Europe , Australia and the United States . I do dream on going on an African Safari on either 2022 or 2023 for a mixed bag hunt . My dream African game to bag include ( but are not limited to) a hippopotamus , blue wildebeest , gemsbok , klipspringer , forest duiker , spurwing geese , guinea fowl and crested francolin .

I own three arms ( till now , anyway ) , which I am extremely fond of :
* A .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum )
* A 12 bore
* A .22 LR ( Long Rifle )

Aside from hunting for the pot ( intertwined with recreation) , I have also taken the following dangerous game :
- 18 cheetah baagh leopards ( all marauders )
- A Royal Bengal tiger ( a marauder )
- An Asiatic elephant ( a rogue )
- Wild boar ( too many to count )
Nothing worth bragging about , but these experiences certainly were unforgettable to me .

I began hunting in 1972 and I have authored two books till now . One deals with our Bangladesh Liberation War and the negative effects of conscripting children into service . The other deals with hunting . Below is my book , which details my hunting experiences between 1972 and 1982 .
View attachment 362954
It is titled “ Jokhon Shikari Chilam “ ( When I Hunted Dangerous Game ) and I initially tried to have it published it in 1994 . However , the book finally saw publication in 1999 . Recently , my close friends ( Including Major Poton Khan Sir ) have influenced me to have an English translation of the book published for international hunters . Hopefully , this should be out by January ( if not sooner ) .

I joined this forum mainly to learn from much more experienced hunters than myself . But also to share a few of my hunting stories , as well . Nothing too exciting . But maybe , they might interest some people .

Regards ,
Professor Anayet Mawla

PS : English is not my first language . So please pardon any grammatical errors . I will try to improve my fluency , over time .
Welcome professor Iook forward to reading your articles. You are fortunate to have a friend in major Kahn. Friend Poton is an avid writer. Maybe the 1 of you could persuade panther shooter and friend Rahm to write more as well.
Bob Nelson.

Welcome to the best hunting site on the web.

Welcome to AH Professor Mawla! Nice to have you on the posting side, looking forward to reading your posts.

Welcome to AH @Professor Mawla! Glad you found us and joined our community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg