Heathrow your personal experience??

twilly24

AH senior member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about there personal experience with heathrow and guns? Bad or good?
And yes I have contacted Lori with travel express.

Can anyone tell me about there personal experience with heathrow and guns? Bad or good?
And yes I have contacted Lori with travel express.
Happy to.

I have transitted Heathrow at least 5 times over the last eight years, often one way, and more often both ways. I have flown into the older terminal 3, and more recently (April, 2016) into and out of terminal 2. I have always changed carriers in London, but they have always been in the same global alliance.

In each case I checked my guns through to my final destination.

I have never had a single issue with transiting. Never been asked a question, never been asked for papers, or anything else.

In fact, I once had a problem with an agent in Calgary who refused to book my guns through to their final destination, which at that time was Victoria Falls. He would only check them through to JNB. Once in London I spoke to SAA and told them about this, and the agent there took my Air Canada luggage tags, gave me new ones to Vic Falls, and went into the bowels of LHR to find the bags and recheck them to my final destination.

I haven't checked recently, but the EU subsequently imposed an embargo on any guns to Zimbabwe, so this won't work anymore, but that's not LHR.

I had no problem with the transfer at Heathrow with BA, the problems are at check in.

If on BA and business you will have lounge access with BA lounges. If Premium Eco and below and no Silver status no BA lounge access. However, Priority Pass will give give you lounge access to "The Aspire Lounge" which is airside and "Club Millesime" at the Sofitel, which is landslide. There are a ton of shops in T5 to keep you occupied too.

If you are transferring from one terminal to another, that a PITA. Thats a bus transfer.

Last edited:
Good to hear that one can make it through without a lot of hassle!

It was a breeze this spring, checked right through never had to worry about them.

In each case I checked my guns through to my final destination.

I have never had a single issue with transiting. Never been asked a question, never been asked for papers, or anything else.

Ditto.

Did it once and I'll give you the same advice as I was given and followed:

1) Fly on British Airways from beginning to end. With end meaning Johannesburg. If transiting by air from there, then I'd buy a separate ticket for that travel. Do not start in the U.S. on one of BA's partners and then transfer to BA in LHR. That from what I understand can be a HUGE PITA.

2) Fly into and out of LHR. Do not change airports, e.g. Gatwick to Heathrow or vice versa.

3) Get to the airport plenty early at the start of each leg. BA has it's own procedures with guns and the paperwork is a slight hassle becoming more so if you get someone not familiar with it at the check-in counter. Fortunately for me it was a breeze on my way out of Phoenix. A bit more of trouble leaving JNB as strangely enough the lady at check-in was clueless. Friendly and actually hard working as she made the calls needed to get it done.

4) Be prepared to pay a fee at the airport for handling the gun case. I believe it was $75 each way, but call BA or hit their website to confirm.

My own experience was that the paperwork was a bit of a hassle and I also had to call in to their reservations in New York some period of time before my flight to declare the rifles. All of this is because of the extra security measures they go through when handling firearms. But it's not that big of a deal and........the one thing you can be sure of is no one is screwing with those rifles. If somebody did, they know exactly who it was. There is a designated individual who is responsible for seeing the firearms onto the plane and off.

My one trip went smooth as could be expected. No issues of any kind. Would I do it again? Yes I would, I got a great deal on the airfare and it was worth it to me. The only reason I wouldn't do it again is the long layover. Terminal 5 at LHR is as up to date as any, but you can only waste so much time before it gets old. Furthermore 6-7 hours of layover is not enough to be bothered getting a hotel room or go into London. If you're in that predicament, then I'd follow the advice above and pay for lounge access.

Having said all that the convenience of Delta out of Atlanta directly into Jo'burg has its advantages. If I were only saving a couple hundred bucks or less by going another route, I don't think it would be worth it to me. But Delta is proud of that flight and charges quite high for that ticket and furthermore because the flight arrives around 5pm or so in Jo'burg, it's almost certain you'll need to overnight before getting on to your hunting destination. There just isn't any connecting flights leaving that late in the evening. This adds another $100 or so to your cost. So it's not all that difficult to save a fair amount by going other routes.

Fly on British Airways from beginning to end. With end meaning Johannesburg. If transiting by air from there, then I'd buy a separate ticket for that travel. Do not start in the U.S. on one of BA's partners and then transfer to BA in LHR.

Phil, one point here that I think is important. I think your advice - or at least this part of it - only works if your final destination is in South Africa.

If your final destination is outside of South Africa, then you are better to check your guns all of the way through to that destination. If you have to pick up the guns in JNB, even to immediately re-check them on another international flight, you will need to have a SAPS permit. If you don't ever touch your guns in JNB, then you don't need the permit.

At least that's my understanding.

Terminal 5 is the nicest terminal at Heathrow. It is BA only.

If you are in transit for a few hours you can take the tube into central London and see a few things. Apx. 45 minutes to an hour and a half each way, depending on where you want to go and what you want to do. I have scheduled long in transit's before, gone to the west end to see a show and stayed at a hotel over night to rest up. A lot of fun things to do/history to see in London.

Yes you can take the tube into London and its fairly cheap. Or you can take Heathrow Express, straight to Paddington Station, no stops once you leave the airport property. Yes. its more expensive. But so is your time.

I somewhat agree about T5 being the nicest, however I have not been in the new Queens Terminal T2, yes looked at the map, it does not have the stores that T5 does, nor a hotel attached.

Phil, one point here that I think is important. I think your advice - or at least this part of it - only works if your final destination is in South Africa.

If your final destination is outside of South Africa, then you are better to check your guns all of the way through to that destination. If you have to pick up the guns in JNB, even to immediately re-check them on another international flight, you will need to have a SAPS permit. If you don't ever touch your guns in JNB, then you don't need the permit.

At least that's my understanding.

I believe you are correct. I should have been more clear, this was based on the advice I had for my trip to RSA only, not to any other countries.

Terminal 5 is the nicest terminal at Heathrow. It is BA only.

If you are in transit for a few hours you can take the tube into central London and see a few things. Apx. 45 minutes to an hour and a half each way, depending on where you want to go and what you want to do. I have scheduled long in transit's before, gone to the west end to see a show and stayed at a hotel over night to rest up. A lot of fun things to do/history to see in London.

Bob, I would say more than a few hours from what I was told. I asked one of the flight attendant if 6-7 hours was enough time to do this and she gave me an emphatic no due to the time it takes to get through security. It could be done, but just not much time to actually spend sight seeing when it was all said and done.

Bob, I would say more than a few hours from what I was told. I asked one of the flight attendant if 6-7 hours was enough time to do this and she gave me an emphatic no due to the time it takes to get through security. It could be done, but just not much time to actually spend sight seeing when it was all said and done.

"A few hours" was probably too ambiguous. Sorry.

That being said, I wouldn't have a problem going into central London with 7 hours. Figure being back at the airport 2 hours before take off. I have never spent more than 30 minutes going through customs at Heathrow. Usually 5-10 minutes. 1 hour each way in the tube and that leaves 2.5 hours to see Big Ben, Westminster Abby and Buckingham Palace. Or Tower Bridge, Tower of London/Crown Jewels and possibly St. Pauls. Or British Museum of Natural History and see the Kilimanjaro bulls ivory. Also the Victoria and Albert Museum is next door. These would all be very fast trips and you obviously couldn't see everything but it at least allows you to see some things. Obviously if you want to spend time in London, just schedule flights so you are in transit longer. Feel free to call if you want to.

Yes you can take the tube into London and its fairly cheap. Or you can take Heathrow Express, straight to Paddington Station, no stops once you leave the airport property. Yes. its more expensive. But so is your time.

You are correct regarding the express. It is about 20 minutes from Terminal 5. A little quicker from the other terminals. The problem is Padding Station is not real close to most major tourist attractions. With the change to the Yellow line to get to Westminster as an example it will probably take 35 minutes with the Express/Yellow and 45-50 minutes on the Blue with a change to the Green line. The cost is probably about $20 more one way. (I may be a little off on that)

And if you don't want to head into central London, Windsor is just a short cab/uber ride away for those with shorter layovers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.