Hearing protection for upcoming Cape Buffalo hunt

HerbJohnson

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Trip to S.A. for long anticipated Dangerous Game hunt April of 2025 fast approaching. I know one of you can suggest hearing protection that's comfortable, convenient and begs to be used. You know what I mean. That ringing in my ears doesn't want to get any worse. All suggestions welcome and much appreciated.

Trip to S.A. for long anticipated Dangerous Game hunt April of 2025 fast approaching. I know one of you can suggest hearing protection that's comfortable, convenient and begs to be used. You know what I mean. That ringing in my ears doesn't want to get any worse. All suggestions welcome and much appreciated.
Very much interested in hearing ( no pun intended) from experienced members on hearing protection, and usefulness of devices.

Several different posts on this. Search function is your friend.

I have had great success with Axil Xcor. I also have Otopro, non-electronic ear plugs, I like them a lot, but in dangerous situations or if the outfitter is trying to put me on the right animal, I do not hear well enough. The one way I have hunted most is to always have a foam ear plug in my left ear when stalking, then before I shoot I put in the right ear. It's a pretty rare day when I touch off a shot without hearing protection.

Another vote for Axil. Hearing "don't shoot" is equally as important as "shoot". These are a worth while investment.

I just ordered some of the Axil hearing protection ear buds. They are having a half off Memorial Day sale and I decided to give them a try. I’ll report back once I give them a try.

I am using the Peltor LEP-200 for all my hunting, I assume they can be found in the US aswell. Works really well anyway.

I use the custom molded silicone ones that cost about $35 20 years ago. Probably $70. No electronics or anything. Put them in my ears before the closing stalk. I sometimes leave them in my ear but just a little bit off from fully inserted and just pop them in the last little bit when it’s time.

I know people say they don’t like to wear hearing protection because they want to hear what’s going on with dangerous game. That will probably work fine if you are on your last hunt and don’t need to hear properly again.

I have no doubt that the electronic enhancing /canceling technology is better than a simple plug but I haven’t had trouble with the simple ones so I haven’t bothered.

I have TETRA Custom Shield Multi Pursuit, Sordin Supreme Pro-X and several sets of custom molded plugs that have nothing other than silicone in them.

The Sordin work the best for sound amplification when not shooting and being able to hear game, but are also the most bulky.

The TETRA are good. Really good in fact, but I'm not sure they are worth the price after having used the Sordin for hunting turkey and goose.

Custom plugs are always a companion on any trip, if nothing else than a backup or something to keep the airplane noise down.

My next trip may see me using some sort of ear canal plug on something that hangs around my neck. This would keep it light, simple and ready to use at the last moment without being a burden. I will at least bring a few of them to be given to the members of the hunting party. This is what I'm talking about...
1716579105907.png

Last edited:
The best ear pro is a suppressor.

yes, it’s still not technically hearing safe…but it’s good and your ears don’t sweat.

YMMV…cans com with their own issues, but they are nice when it’s time to shoot. Add a mirage cover.

Suppressor is my preference but I also have some Westone silicone non electronic that I use when unsuppressed. Put left ear in and then the right ear just before taking the shot or on final stalk. Not ideal but has worked for me so far.

Set of Axil’s here. they work great.

I've been using Otto NoizeBarrier earplugs for many years now. They have proven reliable and durable. They electronically block out the loud noises and their 'normal' mode can have either a small bit of protection or actually a bit of enhancement for hearing. Even in enhanced mode, they lock down quickly when a firearm is discharged. I strongly recommend spending an extra $15-20 to get foam ear tips though, they do add even more sound suppression.

Have some 3M electronic ones that I bought as a backup to the Otto's, but I haven't had any need to try them yet so they're still in the case.

Another vote for Axils. I have 2 pair, and I ordered a pair each for both of my sons.

They come with something like a dozen pair of inserts - 3 different styles in 3 or 4 different sizes. One of them will fit your ear holes. They're like the inserts you get when you buy earbuds for your cell phone.

Depending on one's budget I'd recommend in-ear custom electronic hearing protection. I have worn them 6-8 hours a day during competitions without any discomfort.

Now, they also amplify sound, so it takes a bit of getting used to in the field.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my post. This is why I became a member. Your input is priceless to my hearing health. Now to choose. Sincerely Appreciative...Herb Johnson

WHAAAT??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn88ynet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning