Harry Selby-good old times

From the number of posts you can see that modern Africa hunters in camouflage suits with hearing protection on their sensitive ears are hardly interested nowadays in this sort of report.
I think you have the point.
In my circle of hunting friends, there is only few who have been to Africa, or are interested to go to Safari sometime in the future.
Of those few, none of them is interested in history, or African library, or books.

Yesterday I stumbled upon this video on YT, who mentions some of the greatest names of safari history and culture.
I, (the dinosaur) have almost all of those names on the shelf in my study. I am passionately collecting African library for almost 10 years now.

I wanted to share the video on this forum, but @Foxi was faster to post it here.
Not many are interested, I am afraid.

I enjoyed the video.

That looks like Joe Coggan next to Harry. Joe is a great man and an extremely formidable white hunter in his own right.

Mark out experiences are identical. My hunting buddies look at me like I’m from Mars if I suggest they come to Africa with me. Luckily I stopped waiting for them years ago and have ventured myself multiple times. My thirst/love for Africa was fordge as a youngster reading all the great African authors. My African Hunting library is one of my most cherished possessions!!

I dont wait for anybody! No problem traveling alone for me. Alien from Mars is good comparison!
my African library I cherish almost as my gun collection!

I have 78 books in my African hunting library.

I enjoyed the video. I hunted with Mark Selby, Harry’s son a couple of long safaris. We had lunch with Harry once in Maun, as I recall. Have met Joe Coogan a few times over the years. All good memories

I dont wait for anybody! No problem traveling alone for me. Alien from Mars is good comparison!
my African library I cherish almost as my gun collection!
Mark, if I had waited for my friends to get all the desire, time, money and permission from their wives, I wouldn't have been in Africa today.

Wonderful video, great folks from a great time.

Wonderful video, great folks from a great time.
The stories and experiences from a past time in Africa, of capable men are important.
We only have a bit of history, thankfully some captured in video, the rest in print.
Books I have and read again and again.
Mr. Selby shooting dove with a double at 80+ years old was fun to watch.

I was born 50 years too late.

I enjoyed the video. I hunted with Mark Selby, Harry’s son a couple of long safaris. We had lunch with Harry once in Maun, as I recall. Have met Joe Coogan a few times over the years. All good memories

Very cool. Who was Mark hunting with at that time? Safari South? Or maybe TGTS?

Very cool. Who was Mark hunting with at that time? Safari South? Or maybe TGTS?
As I recall, Tanzania Game Trackers once. Second outfit I can’t recall

Harry, well his signature in my 458 WM stock, will hunt elephant with me in the Caprivi July ‘25.

I was writing a paper, under duress at the Army War College, on the Mau-Mau rebellion and needed a source who’d been there. The staff at Man Magnum Magazine gave me Harry Selby’s email address and he was kind enough to correspond with me. Afterward he inscribed a book for me and included some
signatures at my request, one of which is now in the 458. What a legendary man and a gentleman in the very best sense of the word.

IMG_6010.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaDias2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life