Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
Finally got my skulls from Africa. Was planning to screw picture hangers into the skulls and epoxying but after picking up my Kudu I started to question what works for deer may not work. This lead to looking at the simple skull hookers as I prefer the look of skull floating bare on wall so can’t see how it’s mounted. Are they the best option? Have wildabeast, 2 kudu, impala, and some springbuck. One skull hooker style for all or???

Also the guest room I put all the skins and skulls in smells “unique” which I assume is from the tanning. What’s best method to eliminate that chemical smell?

I've used Dead On Display for a couple of euros. There is a bracket that fits inside the skull with just a eye bolt coming out to attach to the wall.

Attachments

• Dead On Display European Mount Skull Hanger | Skull Brackets.pdf
    313.2 KB · Views: 73
I prefer a plaque. It is purely a matter of personal taste. The plaque is more traditional and European, but do what pleases you.

kudu.jpg

plaque1.jpg

Wildebeest1.jpg

lester2.jpg

Looks great in the plaque. For some reason I just prefer the skull on drywall look. The fact the wife had me paint the kudu wall black plays a roll in this one also… a black wall in the dining room is a bold choice lol

A m8 x 120mm (metric) coach screw is sufficient for all,large African animals hanging bare on the wall, obviously with enough purchase in the wall and a long enough portion to protrude into the foramen magnum in the back of the scull.

I have some kudu on display like that, but also prefer a wooden plaque. I can make a basic wooden plaque out of African hardwood, often salvaged from old railway sleepers cut into 2”-4” planks by the sawmill, and then finishing them off with the router, but I will give my left you know what to be able to do the beautiful woodcarving that the Europeans or Scandinavians do when they make a plaque, like in the picture above.

I like the naked look too.
20231023_225011.jpg

20231023_225123.jpg

20231023_232030.jpg

20231023_231930.jpg

20231023_231957.jpg

16981182249402847821872411651064.jpg

We have a small taxidermy business and I custom make hangers for each skull. If you have some tools (table saw, chop saw, and electric drill), I can provide instructions.

As you can see, simply hanging skulls against the wall does not always give the best presentation. Most need to be tipped back at some angle. Waterbuck skulls, for example, if mounted flat to the wall have horns sticking almost straight out into the room.

Attachments

• 20231023_225522.jpg
    20231023_225522.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I bought six of the Dead On Display hangars at the Western Hunt Expo earlier this year in SLC, and I am beyond impressed with them. Small local business turning out an awesome product made in the good ol USA!

IMG_2326.jpeg
IMG_2312.jpeg
IMG_2313.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the skull hooker system, I only have a few skulls and the heaviest is probably a wild boar. I like them away from the wall a bit but not sure how they would work on heavy skulls like kudu or gemsbok.

Ordered 2 of the dead on display for the kudus. Will try the skull hookers on smaller critters.

As for the smell… suggestions?

I prefer a plaque. It is purely a matter of personal taste. The plaque is more traditional and European, but do what pleases you.

View attachment 565597
View attachment 565598
View attachment 565599
View attachment 565601
After a wall pedistal mount of my great bull from SA I decided to do a European mount on a teal plaque of my Zim buff next to my lion picture. A cool thing I am doing with my Gemsbok horns is having two stand alone lights made from them which will be awesome!!!

Ordered 2 of the dead on display for the kudus. Will try the skull hookers on smaller critters.

As for the smell… suggestions?
They shouldn’t smell other than a little bleach or peroxide smell that will go away with time I would think. You could try a baking soda soaked rag to wipe them down, but that is better answered by a taxidermist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaitlynJac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt