Handmade or Custom knives in Johannesburg or Windhoek???

Dee S

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana, Northern Cape, Alberta, Natal, Zambia
I've been wanting to buy, on my next trip to Namibia with a layover in Jo'burg, a handmade/custom knife for myself. The post created by one of our members where he walked us through his process of making his own knives has only fueled that desire. What an awesome talent he has and those are some incredible looking knives.
My question is, does anyone know of a place in either Jo'burg or Windhoek that sells knives? I'm not talking about 'mass' produced knives such as Gerber or Buck. I want it to be made in Africa and from materials found in Africa. My first choice would probably be a folding lock blade, with a second choice being a skinning knife.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Ive always like Arno Bernard knives... They are made a few hours south of Jo'berg.. but Im betting there is a shop somewhere in Jo'berg that sells their stuff..

Or.. if you dont mind making the purchase in the US.. they always have a nice booth at DSC.. you could come up to Dallas from San Antonio in January and pick something out from their booth..

https://arnobernard.com/

@africansportingceations carries a full line of A.B. I believe they are the only US source of these knives. Check out their website, great company to do business with.

Had this knife made by Andre Shoeman, the scales were from the tusks of one of my warthogs
IMG_20190807_170827.jpeg

First, let me say what a beautiful knife that is 'cis' Where did you have it made?

I would be happy with one like that.

And I will check out the info posted on the knife makers. I don't know if I'll make the DSC show in 2020, but if I do and I haven't already bought one is Africa, I will surely check out their booth.

I sent Andre a message of Facebook. Loved his knives he has posted on there.

Last edited:
+1 for @African Sporting Creations
I bought and Arno Bernard knife from them. The knife is excellent quality. It went to Africa and back and has been appreciated during last NA hunting season. The sheath is also very well made.

There is a number of knife makers this side, I can give you some names, order and collect when you are here.

Ask Mr Google... there are quite a few in S.A.
I have GTS it, several times. Haven't found any that I've liked so far, but I do like what Andre is making and hopefully I will get a positive response back from him soon. For those wondering about 'GTS', it short for Google That Sh*t

There is a number of knife makers this side, I can give you some names, order and collect when you are here.
Mauser78, feel free to PM me with any info that you have. I'll have a full day in Jo'burg and would like to visit a store or two for some shopping, knife being on the list. African curios, jewelry, gifts, etc., for family and friends.

Two knives made for my son and me by Lombard knives in Polokwane. He has a website and is on Facebook
Awesome quality and decent price. Walnut and African black wood scales.

69F12344-811A-4D4C-87C8-B54159D54A28.jpeg

I've been researching, aka GTS, for both Namibia and RSA for custom knife makers and have been in contact with at least one thus far. I have sent messages to a couple of others. I don't really want to order one online, I'd rather meet the maker and actually see/hold the knives that he has for sale. I might even choose the maker and then see if he will use a part of an animal from my hunt, whether it's a tusk, a bone, or a horn.
I sure appreciate the pictures and contact information you guys are posting.

Safari Oudoors usually has a large selection of hand made knives from local knife makers.

where can i buy this knife?
Good day sir, Andre Shoeman custom knives. I'm not on Facebook anymore but he does have a Facebook page. He made the knife to my specs using my warthog ivory.

I have bought Arno Bernard knives from Knives Ship Free website based out of the Upper Penninsula many times.

They are good quality knives, but I still prefer Tim Olt knives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg