Handmade or Custom knives in Johannesburg or Windhoek???

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia
I've been wanting to buy, on my next trip to Namibia with a layover in Jo'burg, a handmade/custom knife for myself. The post created by one of our members where he walked us through his process of making his own knives has only fueled that desire. What an awesome talent he has and those are some incredible looking knives.
My question is, does anyone know of a place in either Jo'burg or Windhoek that sells knives? I'm not talking about 'mass' produced knives such as Gerber or Buck. I want it to be made in Africa and from materials found in Africa. My first choice would probably be a folding lock blade, with a second choice being a skinning knife.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Ive always like Arno Bernard knives... They are made a few hours south of Jo'berg.. but Im betting there is a shop somewhere in Jo'berg that sells their stuff..

Or.. if you dont mind making the purchase in the US.. they always have a nice booth at DSC.. you could come up to Dallas from San Antonio in January and pick something out from their booth..

https://arnobernard.com/

TByrd

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
DSC, Trout Unlimited
@africansportingceations carries a full line of A.B. I believe they are the only US source of these knives. Check out their website, great company to do business with.

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Had this knife made by Andre Shoeman, the scales were from the tusks of one of my warthogs
IMG_20190807_170827.jpeg

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
First, let me say what a beautiful knife that is 'cis' Where did you have it made?

I would be happy with one like that.

And I will check out the info posted on the knife makers. I don't know if I'll make the DSC show in 2020, but if I do and I haven't already bought one is Africa, I will surely check out their booth.

I sent Andre a message of Facebook. Loved his knives he has posted on there.

Last edited:

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
+1 for @African Sporting Creations
I bought and Arno Bernard knife from them. The knife is excellent quality. It went to Africa and back and has been appreciated during last NA hunting season. The sheath is also very well made.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Mauser78

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
AFA Archers
There is a number of knife makers this side, I can give you some names, order and collect when you are here.

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Ask Mr Google... there are quite a few in S.A.
I have GTS it, several times. Haven't found any that I've liked so far, but I do like what Andre is making and hopefully I will get a positive response back from him soon. For those wondering about 'GTS', it short for Google That Sh*t

There is a number of knife makers this side, I can give you some names, order and collect when you are here.
Mauser78, feel free to PM me with any info that you have. I'll have a full day in Jo'burg and would like to visit a store or two for some shopping, knife being on the list. African curios, jewelry, gifts, etc., for family and friends.

Alchemist

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NSA , SA Wingshooters
Two knives made for my son and me by Lombard knives in Polokwane. He has a website and is on Facebook
Awesome quality and decent price. Walnut and African black wood scales.

69F12344-811A-4D4C-87C8-B54159D54A28.jpeg

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I've been researching, aka GTS, for both Namibia and RSA for custom knife makers and have been in contact with at least one thus far. I have sent messages to a couple of others. I don't really want to order one online, I'd rather meet the maker and actually see/hold the knives that he has for sale. I might even choose the maker and then see if he will use a part of an animal from my hunt, whether it's a tusk, a bone, or a horn.
I sure appreciate the pictures and contact information you guys are posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBuff7459

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...