Guns through Chicago?

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Can anyone relay any experiences of overnighting and departing with firearms from O'hare in Chicago? I'm looking into doing a park and fly in either Glenview or Prospect Heights. I plan on contacting the local PD's tomorrow to make sure there are no local ordinances I need to be aware of. Otherwise rifles will of course be cased and locked. I contacted one of the hotels and they are cool with firearms as long as they're cased and not visible to the public.

Thanks

Can anyone relay any experiences of overnighting and departing with firearms from O'hare in Chicago? I'm looking into doing a park and fly in either Glenview or Prospect Heights. I plan on contacting the local PD's tomorrow to make sure there are no local ordinances I need to be aware of. Otherwise rifles will of course be cased and locked. I contacted one of the hotels and they are cool with firearms as long as they're cased and not visible to the public.

Thanks
Yes, 5 year's ago I used united airlines and was routed through Chicago verse Denver. They lost my gun, ammo And some clothes. By the time it reached Saskatchewan. The day before I was leaving a delivery service delivery service drove three hours to get me my rifle. I left the next day never opened up my tufpak. Never through Chicago ever again.

I fly out of chicago all the time ! no issues ever

Good to know. I even called the local PD just to make sure and they said that as long as you do the common sense things there won't be an issue. That city just makes me nervous when it comes to guns.

I stay at the Lowes at the airport and use their shuttle to/from airport. Parking is covered. Never had an issue with gun cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CJW
It's good to hear that members have transited ORD with no problems. I've flown on Qatar via Dallas and will be flying on Emirates via Houston in August. Both times I could have caught my connection in Chicago (much less airtime), but didn't because of my concerns about the gun situation there. Living in St. Louis, I'm well aware of crazy Illinois gun laws! An aside....when I've gone to gun shows in Illinois (yes, they still have them there) and I ask to check out a gun, the dealer always asks to see my Illinois FOID card. When I tell them I'm a Missourian, they smile and tell me to go ahead and check it out! It's the silliest system ever. Does Illinois think that Missourians are inherently more trustworthy than their own residents?

I stay at the Lowes at the airport and use their shuttle to/from airport. Parking is covered. Never had an issue with gun cases.

I called them yesterday and they apparently have a no firearm policy.

It's good to hear that members have transited ORD with no problems. I've flown on Qatar via Dallas and will be flying on Emirates via Houston in August. Both times I could have caught my connection in Chicago (much less airtime), but didn't because of my concerns about the gun situation there. Living in St. Louis, I'm well aware of crazy Illinois gun laws! An aside....when I've gone to gun shows in Illinois (yes, they still have them there) and I ask to check out a gun, the dealer always asks to see my Illinois FOID card. When I tell them I'm a Missourian, they smile and tell me to go ahead and check it out! It's the silliest system ever. Does Illinois think that Missourians are inherently more trustworthy than their own residents?

Illinois doesn't think anything. They just do senseless things.

Most laws in Illinois originate with the Chicago area politicians in the Statehouse…trying to solve problems in their area that have no need in Downstate life. Their gun laws are assinine…as such most residents of upstate have no idea about firearms or possession of such. Their idea of sport is sitting on their ass watching the Bears, Bulls, or Cubs, Whitesocks, or Blackhawks. Their idea of a participation sport is buying a season ticket. You will never get a reasonable reply regarding a firearm question from 99% of the population north of I 80.

Most laws in Illinois originate with the Chicago area politicians in the Statehouse…trying to solve problems in their area that have no need in Downstate life. Their gun laws are assinine…as such most residents of upstate have no idea about firearms or possession of such. Their idea of sport is sitting on their ass watching the Bears, Bulls, or Cubs, Whitesocks, or Blackhawks. Their idea of a participation sport is buying a season ticket. You will never get a reasonable reply regarding a firearm question from 99% of the population north of I 80.
Much narrower than that, its simply Cook County which Chicago resides and a few outlier towns that Chicago needs their additional tax base from. North of 80, east of 294, with a little bleed over here and there from Chicago secretions. Get an hour northwest, west, southwest or Chicago, back in the good Gadsden land.

As for Ohare and transiting with firearms, no issues with most. IL has regulations (ban) on surpressors so that would be a no-no.

Back in May, I connected AA to Qatar at ORD both ways with no problem at all. The best part was...
I was treated a lot better at ORD than in Washington IAD.

On my way to South Dakota to hunt, I had to spend the night at the terminal, and I had a rifle & shotgun and a dog with me. I found a quiet corner of the terminal so I could sleep, and no one paid any attention to me.

Going thru ORD with a firearm has been simple painless process for me also…just so you don’t get some radical anti upset. Customs, TSA and my experience with Qatar has been excellent.

Much narrower than that, its simply Cook County which Chicago resides and a few outlier towns that Chicago needs their additional tax base from.

I lived in Illinois for 19 years and both of you are spot on, hence my apprehension when it comes to Cook county and firearms. To anybody who is familiar with them it's like mixing oil and water.

Thanks guys.

In June transited through ORD with firearms on the way to Namibia. I flew United from DFW and spent the night at the airport Hilton in Chicago. Got up the next morning and took the shuttle to terminal 5 and checked in with Ethiopian Airlines. No problems going and no problems returning.

I called them yesterday and they apparently have a no firearm policy.
That's good to know but I dont think that information will stop me from staying there in the future. Now, I'll just check in first and then go to the parking garage to get my luggage. With all the travelers coming and going with countless amounts of luggage of various types, colors and sizes, I doubt an overworked and underpaid checkin clerk would give an inconspicuous case a second glance.

That's good to know but I dont think that information will stop me from staying there in the future. Now, I'll just check in first and then go to the parking garage to get my luggage. With all the travelers coming and going with countless amounts of luggage of various types, colors and sizes, I doubt an overworked and underpaid checkin clerk would give an inconspicuous case a second glance.

I have SKB's Tuff Pak style rifle case. I was thinking of wearing my PING hat so anyone who noticed the case would just assume it had golf clubs in it.

Honestly I'm still thinking about staying there. I'm assumimg there are side entrances from the parking garage to avoid the main lobby?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxx532

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.