Gun stock build input requested

I suggest the 270 do you can see and touch the workmanship when you are hunting. You Indicated that you use the 270 mostly do why not restock with this beautiful piece of timber?
I’m biased cos I use the 270 mostly too!

Beautiful fiddleback in that gunstock.

This is an old thread but since I started it, I thought it would be appropriate to resurrect it as I have made a decision. This morning I dropped the Tiger Myrtlewood blank (pictured in the first few photos) off with custom rifle and stock maker Reto Buehler. Reto spent quite a bit of time poking and prodding, and closely examining every inch of that blank. We examined a knot and agreed it could be worked around. He showed some concern with an inclusion that I had dismissed. He then used wire to see how deep it was and rolled the blank over and over. He used a magnifier to correctly ascertain grain flow and laid out how the stock would be cut. I was very happy as he laid it out precisely as I had hoped it could go. This layout avoided the inclusion but still some questions remained about how deep the inclusion would go. Finally, he cut small slices off the stock and found the imperfections were shallow and should not affect the final product. We discussed price, I swallowed hard, trying not to let it show, and agreed to move forward. The downside; his wait list is so long that it will be at least a year before he even touches it again!

While there, I was able to look at several works in progress including several .375 H&H's. They were all gorgeous. He had to mop after I left because of all the slober I left on the workshop floor.

Poking around in old threads looking for something I remembered reading about, and stumbled across this one. How did the stock end up? As you mentioned he had a year wait list, thought maybe that 270 is wearing that beautiful piece of lumber by now. Pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg