Guide Gun range report

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Voodooracer, Sep 1, 2014.

1. jduckhunter

jduckhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
    Thanks Gizmo, I think most of it is going to get jarred.

gizmo likes this.

2. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Bought a Guide Gun in 416, some months ago. Since then it's been the rifle I reach for, always. For the $$$, and the caliber (read that, "potential"), one could hardly do better.

3. ChrisG

ChrisG BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    I love my .416 Ruger! Haven't bloodied it yet, but it might take a deer this year. I got the Hawkeye African and for the money, it is a well built rifle. The only thing I have against it is the fit and finish of the metal. When I compare it to my 1990's era M77 in 6.5x55, it is downright crude. Cast lines left everywhere, hadly any sanding and polishing... but all that said, I have put around 60 full power loads (400grains at 2,350fps) through it and all I did was remove the muzzle brake, and replace the hard rubber, saucer thick recoil pad and it is so fun to shoot and carry!

CAustin and CTDolan like this.

4. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    image.jpg

@ChrisG
    that rifle will destroy a deer! Look what it did to my Nyala!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2016
    ChrisG likes this.

5. ChrisG

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    That's what my old .30/06 used to do with 150 grain bullets....

6. ChrisG

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    CTDolan likes this.

7. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I'm surprised the bullet didn't simply snick right through, mostly unexpanded. What (bullet/load) were you using?

8. CAustin

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Hornady DGX 400 grain

9. Paparock94

Paparock94 AH Member

I don't think there is such a thing as "overkill"! If you have a rifle you enjoy and can shoot well does it matter if it is in a caliber others may think is over what may be traditional? Some shoot coyotes with a .223 others with a .308 or a 7mm Rem Mag. Hey if you enjoy your time in the field and deplete the deer and calf killer population I say more power to you.

If you enjoy shooting prairie dogs with your .416 Mag; why not! It would seem like great practice to me. I knew a guy in Wyoming that shot squirrels with his .30-06; he didn't like to actually eat squirrels. :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

10. CAustin

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    All true @Paparock94! As long as your not meat hunting have at it! On the other hand the 416 reduces the meat harvest somewhat if you know what I mean!
    I did shoot a raccoon last year with my 45-70 and there wasn't much left of that critter.

11. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Better over-powered than under-powered, I say.

12. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    I like it! I have both .416 & .375 Rugers. Great guns.
    Philip

13. Paparock94

Paparock94 AH Member

Great pics! I have been looking seriously at a Ruger Guide gun and a Ruger Precision Rifle. Two completely different rifles for two completely different worlds of shooting/hunting. Two many wants and two few dollars to accomplish them with. I'm to that point if life and finances I have one more rifle left in me and if I ever get the chance to hunt again it will be with my step-sons and with my grandson ( I have only one of five that cares a fig about me and hunting). I love bears, and have since I tracked my first one to its den when I was a kid and I sure would not mind one last bear hunt.

Clayton likes this.

14. ChrisG

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    I would go with the guide gun first. The Precision Rifle is just a Ruger American Rifle in a fancy chassis. Plus it doesn't come in any of the truly fun calibers! Like the .375s and .416s!

Paparock94 likes this.

15. Paparock94

Paparock94 AH Member

I have always loved big bore rifles though I have not really lived, except for the ten years in spent in Wyoming, where they were all that necessary. I'm turning 67 in a couple of weeks and I got bit by the "Elmer Keith" bug when I was very young. I have hunted with a .375 H&H and a .35 Whelen and almost bought a .458 Winchester Ruger No.1 while I was in Wyoming but went with a Dale Story custom .375 H&H. It was the right choice as that rifle was light, fast, accurate and mild to shoot! The thing that really attracts me to the Ruger Guide gun is the stocks ability to adapt to pull length because I am so tall and the straight style.

I can just see the looks now here in southern California where I am showing up with a .375 Ruger Guide gun at the gun range. The largest gun any of the locals around here I have seen is a .308 Win.. They look at my Original New York custom Ithaca Deerslayer III parkerized fully rifled bull barreled 12 gauge like it has two heads (I guess they have never seen a 73 caliber "rifle" on a shotgun action before, he he). When I walk into a restaurant with my NRA cap and my Sniper Rifle Pin on it I get some dirty looks except from the Marines stationed out at 29 Palmes Marine base. They smile when they see my old "dog tags" I still wear peeking out from under my shirt. I don't know what I would do without the Marines around me out here. They keep me sane.

16. 700xcr

700xcr AH Senior Member

Member of:
    Tri-Cities Metallic Silhouette Association and Richland Rod and Gun Club
    Hunted:
    USA
    This is out of my 375 Ruger Guide Gun.
    3-shot group at 100yds. with 300gr. Nosler Accubond chronographed at 2590fps,
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Pheroze and jduckhunter like this.

17. 700xcr

700xcr AH Senior Member

Member of:
    Tri-Cities Metallic Silhouette Association and Richland Rod and Gun Club
    Hunted:
    USA
    Woodleigh 350gr. PP 3-shot group at 100yds. chronograghed at 2391fps.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Pheroze and jduckhunter like this.

18. jduckhunter

jduckhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
    My daughter borrowed my Guide Gun in 30-06 last week for bear hunt in Ontario. As you can see she made out ok with it and the Speer 165 gr. BTSP proved that that it was up to the task. The bear came into the bait, knocked the bait barrel over and stood on top of it. That proved to be it's undoing as my daughter took the broadside, silhouetted opportunity to place one 165 gr. bullet into the base of it's neck and it exited through the point of the shoulder on the other side. It dropped at the shot and never moved. I'm not sure that's the shot that I would have taken but like they say, all is well that ends well. Oh and after it was all over she says to me " dad by the way I really like that gun". Like father like daughter I guess! HPIM0973.JPG

Vanguard2279 and gizmo like this.

19. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    I'll throw my two cents in too, love my Ruger guide rifle in 375. Killed a beautiful Cape buffalo last week using 300 grain Swift A Frames. Gun handles like a dream in the bush. Agreed don't look pretty but hell who cares it's made to hunt not a display shelf.

IMG_0711.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2017

20. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I am totally smitten with my .416 Ruger Guide Gun. I put a Hogue stock on it (with a full-length bedding block) and couldn't be happier. The rifle is bomb-proof...ready for anything, anywhere, anywhen.

lwaters and larry4831 like this.