Guide Gun range report

Hey congrats! Looks like garlic stuffed venison is on the menu!!!
Thanks Gizmo, I think most of it is going to get jarred.

I love my .416 Ruger! Haven't bloodied it yet, but it might take a deer this year. I got the Hawkeye African and for the money, it is a well built rifle. The only thing I have against it is the fit and finish of the metal. When I compare it to my 1990's era M77 in 6.5x55, it is downright crude. Cast lines left everywhere, hadly any sanding and polishing... but all that said, I have put around 60 full power loads (400grains at 2,350fps) through it and all I did was remove the muzzle brake, and replace the hard rubber, saucer thick recoil pad and it is so fun to shoot and carry!

image.jpg

@ChrisG
that rifle will destroy a deer! Look what it did to my Nyala!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hornady DGX 400 grain

Overkill is underrated.(y)

I don't think there is such a thing as "overkill"! If you have a rifle you enjoy and can shoot well does it matter if it is in a caliber others may think is over what may be traditional? Some shoot coyotes with a .223 others with a .308 or a 7mm Rem Mag. Hey if you enjoy your time in the field and deplete the deer and calf killer population I say more power to you.

If you enjoy shooting prairie dogs with your .416 Mag; why not! It would seem like great practice to me. I knew a guy in Wyoming that shot squirrels with his .30-06; he didn't like to actually eat squirrels. :D

Last edited:
I don't think there is such a thing as "overkill"! If you have a rifle you enjoy and can shoot well does it matter if it is in a caliber others may think is over what may be traditional? Some shoot coyotes with a .223 others with a .308 or a 7mm Rem Mag. Hey if you enjoy your time in the field and deplete the deer and calf killer population I say more power to you.

If you enjoy shooting prairie dogs with your .416 Mag; why not! It would seem like great practice to me. I knew a guy in Wyoming that shot squirrels with his .30-06; he didn't like to actually eat squirrels. :D

All true @Paparock94! As long as your not meat hunting have at it! On the other hand the 416 reduces the meat harvest somewhat if you know what I mean!
I did shoot a raccoon last year with my 45-70 and there wasn't much left of that critter.

I like it! I have both .416 & .375 Rugers. Great guns.
Philip

Great pics! I have been looking seriously at a Ruger Guide gun and a Ruger Precision Rifle. Two completely different rifles for two completely different worlds of shooting/hunting. Two many wants and two few dollars to accomplish them with. I'm to that point if life and finances I have one more rifle left in me and if I ever get the chance to hunt again it will be with my step-sons and with my grandson ( I have only one of five that cares a fig about me and hunting). I love bears, and have since I tracked my first one to its den when I was a kid and I sure would not mind one last bear hunt.

Great pics! I have been looking seriously at a Ruger Guide gun and a Ruger Precision Rifle. Two completely different rifles for two completely different worlds of shooting/hunting. Two many wants and two few dollars to accomplish them with. I'm to that point if life and finances I have one more rifle left in me and if I ever get the chance to hunt again it will be with my step-sons and with my grandson ( I have only one of five that cares a fig about me and hunting). I love bears, and have since I tracked my first one to its den when I was a kid and I sure would not mind one last bear hunt.
I would go with the guide gun first. The Precision Rifle is just a Ruger American Rifle in a fancy chassis. Plus it doesn't come in any of the truly fun calibers! Like the .375s and .416s!

I would go with the guide gun first. The Precision Rifle is just a Ruger American Rifle in a fancy chassis. Plus it doesn't come in any of the truly fun calibers! Like the .375s and .416s!

I have always loved big bore rifles though I have not really lived, except for the ten years in spent in Wyoming, where they were all that necessary. I'm turning 67 in a couple of weeks and I got bit by the "Elmer Keith" bug when I was very young. I have hunted with a .375 H&H and a .35 Whelen and almost bought a .458 Winchester Ruger No.1 while I was in Wyoming but went with a Dale Story custom .375 H&H. It was the right choice as that rifle was light, fast, accurate and mild to shoot! The thing that really attracts me to the Ruger Guide gun is the stocks ability to adapt to pull length because I am so tall and the straight style.

I can just see the looks now here in southern California where I am showing up with a .375 Ruger Guide gun at the gun range. The largest gun any of the locals around here I have seen is a .308 Win.. They look at my Original New York custom Ithaca Deerslayer III parkerized fully rifled bull barreled 12 gauge like it has two heads (I guess they have never seen a 73 caliber "rifle" on a shotgun action before, he he). When I walk into a restaurant with my NRA cap and my Sniper Rifle Pin on it I get some dirty looks except from the Marines stationed out at 29 Palmes Marine base. They smile when they see my old "dog tags" I still wear peeking out from under my shirt. I don't know what I would do without the Marines around me out here. They keep me sane.

This is out of my 375 Ruger Guide Gun.
3-shot group at 100yds. with 300gr. Nosler Accubond chronographed at 2590fps,

Attachments

• KIMG0013_zpslb6tsyvn.jpg
    KIMG0013_zpslb6tsyvn.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 177
Woodleigh 350gr. PP 3-shot group at 100yds. chronograghed at 2391fps.

Attachments

• KIMG0014_zps7oemn5hp.jpg
    KIMG0014_zps7oemn5hp.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 189
My daughter borrowed my Guide Gun in 30-06 last week for bear hunt in Ontario. As you can see she made out ok with it and the Speer 165 gr. BTSP proved that that it was up to the task. The bear came into the bait, knocked the bait barrel over and stood on top of it. That proved to be it's undoing as my daughter took the broadside, silhouetted opportunity to place one 165 gr. bullet into the base of it's neck and it exited through the point of the shoulder on the other side. It dropped at the shot and never moved. I'm not sure that's the shot that I would have taken but like they say, all is well that ends well. Oh and after it was all over she says to me " dad by the way I really like that gun". Like father like daughter I guess!
HPIM0973.JPG

I'll throw my two cents in too, love my Ruger guide rifle in 375. Killed a beautiful Cape buffalo last week using 300 grain Swift A Frames. Gun handles like a dream in the bush. Agreed don't look pretty but hell who cares it's made to hunt not a display shelf.

IMG_0711.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am totally smitten with my .416 Ruger Guide Gun. I put a Hogue stock on it (with a full-length bedding block) and couldn't be happier. The rifle is bomb-proof...ready for anything, anywhere, anywhen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg