Grohmann #1 - weird but very useful

I prefer a Nessmuk or a Loveless Bully, but I like my Canadian knife.

Cold Steel makes a version for about $20, we have several.
@Muskox

20210609_122605.jpg

Top Grohman flat grind
Bottom Cold Steel copy.
Bob

Hi Guys, the Grohmann #1 attracted my attention. Certainly weird or odd, but most definitely useful. I have been using an original for many years. Easy in the hand, and deft with cutting.
I recently had the good fortune to undertake a knife making course with master knife maker, Adam Parker. I elected to make a version of the #1. The result was a slightly larger knife, in 64 layer, ladder Damascus with a flat grind. Handle is stabilised Gidgee. I elected to disregard two small flaws in the forging and leave them in.
Very happy with the result, but have not managed to test it on any game.
The original on the left was lost in bush, and then found two months later when I was back tracking again! The RBK4 is used mainly as a camp knife and is also a handy blade
IMG_6971.JPG
IMG_6973.JPG

Hi Guys, the Grohmann #1 attracted my attention. Certainly weird or odd, but most definitely useful. I have been using an original for many years. Easy in the hand, and deft with cutting.
I recently had the good fortune to undertake a knife making course with master knife maker, Adam Parker. I elected to make a version of the #1. The result was a slightly larger knife, in 64 layer, ladder Damascus with a flat grind. Handle is stabilised Gidgee. I elected to disregard two small flaws in the forging and leave them in.
The original on the left was lost in bush, and then found two months later when I was back tracking again! The RBK4 is used mainly as a camp knife and is also a handy bladeView attachment 407010View attachment 407011
@Rule404
Beautiful work. If it cuts and holds an edge a good as it look you will be a happy vegemite.
I hope it lives up to your expectations.
Bob

The original on the left was lost in bush, and then found two months later when I was back tracking again! The RBK4 is used mainly as a camp knife and is also a handy bladeView attachment 407010View attachment 407011
Stunning! Really nicely done

The clearance model #1 with rosewood handles I ordered arrived today, look forward to deer season in autumn to give it some use. Hopefully sooner on ruffled grouse and woodcock in October. Seemingly handles well, if field trials are good I'll order a larger skinner for next season. Hard to believe this is a "seconds " knife. Thank you Canadians for a good-looking knife!

The clearance model #1 with rosewood handles I ordered arrived today, look forward to deer season in autumn to give it some use. Hopefully sooner on ruffled grouse and woodcock in October. Seemingly handles well, if field trials are good I'll order a larger skinner for next season. Hard to believe this is a "seconds " knife. Thank you Canadians for a good-looking knife!
May it serve you well for many years! Let us know your thoughts after you get to use it in the field!

I was inspired also. Just added two genuine Grohmann knives to my working collection:

#2 Trout and Bird, Stainless /Flat grind /Rosewood, and a
#3 Carbon / Flat grind / Buffalo horn to my long time duo,

Original #1 Stainless / Regular / Rosewood and
#100 large skinner Stainless Rosewood.

I'm looking forward to using the new pair as much as I have the old ones.
All four feel good in the hand and are versatile, but excel at slightly different jobs. The slip style sheaths on a loose belt loop are one of the great features of these knives. Secure, safe, and very quick and easy to use, and don't get in the way. Its a better sheath design than the #100 was equipped with.

Attachments

• DEF34359-FA9A-4AE0-8E38-81A189A4EC3A_1_201_a.jpeg
    DEF34359-FA9A-4AE0-8E38-81A189A4EC3A_1_201_a.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 92

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois