Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
20210604_232208.jpg

This is a unique knife that is extremely comfortable to use. Anyone else have one?

From the website:

This is the Original Design that started it all. It is our D.H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife which has been in production since 1957....

Grohmann and D.H. Russell teamed up to design a truly Canadian outdoor knife and through trial and testing with hunters and trappers came up with this first design in the line. By our last count, our knives have been copied by more than 16 different companies over the years that have come and gone, ours is still the only one in production after 50 years.

View attachment 405720

This is a unique knife that is extremely comfortable to use. Anyone else have one?

From the website:

This is the Original Design that started it all. It is our D.H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife which has been in production since 1957....

Grohmann and D.H. Russell teamed up to design a truly Canadian outdoor knife and through trial and testing with hunters and trappers came up with this first design in the line. By our last count, our knives have been copied by more than 16 different companies over the years that have come and gone, ours is still the only one in production after 50 years.
Hi Pheroze,
I have a couple, and enjoy them very much. Yours is their standard size, which makes for an excellent tool for processing deer. I have that one and the larger version, found at a garage sale a few years ago. The sheath was mouldy, too far gone, and the knife was a little rough. I sent the knife to them to recondition and it came back shiny and razor sharp. I also bought a new sheath, the kind with a sharpening rod included. Makes for a nice set.
Oh, and their trout and bird knives are ideal for small game. I brought a couple along as gifts for the gamekeepers on a hunt for high pheasant in England. They were very pleased for the gesture.

I have the #1, the bird and trout. And, somewhere on a hill near a beaver dam, west of Thunder Bay, I believe there is my #4 lying by a log, waiting for me to return to find it. I just got the #1 in the clearance section. The imperfection is miniscule. I think it's my favourite actually.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.28.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.28.21 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 203
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.28.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.28.28 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.28.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.28.33 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
View attachment 405720

From the website:

@Pheroze
I have had one for years my first Canadian belt knife was one made by cold steel. It is a great little knife but the I got the Grohman made belt knife and it is a different kettle of fish. You can get it in either carbon steel or stainless with different grinds.
Mine is a carbon steel flat grind and is a beautiful knife, easy to sharpen, holds an edge well and very comfortable to use.
Bob.
20200614_105504.jpg

I've had a #1 for close to 20 years now and it shows little sign of slowing down. Early on I painted the beautiful rosewood yellow because I nearly lost it in the leaves while dressing a deer. Last year I sanded it down to apply another coat. Great size for just about everything.
1623094908918.png

I like the #2 "trout and bird" with the svelte blade. Both are great all around camping and hunting knives.

@Pheroze - Now you have me looking at a #4...:rolleyes:

I like the feel and ease of use of this #1 design. Good for almost anything in the outdoors and useful in the kitchen too. Used one for many years. If I was buying another I'd choose the flat grind for the finer edge and ease of sharpening. I use the Grohmann "Large Skinner" a lot for skinning bigger game like moose and elk. Wonderful ergonomic design, easy to use, and Strong/durable. I toured the factory once, it was fascinating that they use Walrus leather as a strop for the final edge finish.

I've used them for 40+ years. The bird & trout is my favorite. You may come across one of my old ones in Africa. They are very popular with folks there.

I have had one for about 50 years and it is still my go to deer hunting knife. Mine is carbon steel and what I like is you can carry a small sharpening steel, use the knife for a while, work it a few strokes on the steel, and go back to work with an excellent edge. It really only take a few seconds if you use the steel as soon as you detect any loss of edge. It does not stay sharp as long as some of the super hard steels of today but the edge can be easily maintained in the field using the process above. You are pretty much SOL if you dull a really hard steel edge in the field.. I sharpen my hard steel knives before the hunt and leave them in camp for skinning and quartering the animals.

I also have the bird hunter and larger version but to date have not used them extensively in the field.

I prefer a Nessmuk or a Loveless Bully, but I like my Canadian knife.

Cold Steel makes a version for about $20, we have several.

My dad had one for years, he has since given up hunting and gave all his items to me, which in turn i gave that very knife to my son to use.
I always liked it but never trusted the sheath to keep it there

A classic design like the Nessmuk, both great hunter´s knives.

I like the feel and ease of use of this #1 design. Good for almost anything in the outdoors and useful in the kitchen too. Used one for many years. If I was buying another I'd choose the flat grind for the finer edge and ease of sharpening. I use the Grohmann "Large Skinner" a lot for skinning bigger game like moose and elk. Wonderful ergonomic design, easy to use, and Strong/durable. I toured the factory once, it was fascinating that they use Walrus leather as a strop for the final edge finish.
@Longwalker
The flat grind carbon steel blade is easy to sharpen and holds a beautiful edge for a long time. That's why I chose it for mine. After a lot of use it may not still shine like the stainless model but I love the patina it develops over time.
Bob.

I prefer a Nessmuk or a Loveless Bully, but I like my Canadian knife.

Cold Steel makes a version for about $20, we have several.
@Muskox.
The cold steel version is good value for money but can't hold a candle to the Grohman. I have both.
Bob

If you have access to a Herter's catalog they had their own copy of the number 1. From the catalog pictures Herter's did not expend excessive time refining the shape of the handle but the usual Herter hyperbole in the description makes for good reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!