Greetings From the Eastern Slopes of the Canadian Rockies!!!

tyee43

Reaction score
Member of
SCI, RMEF Life Member, Boone & Crockett Life Member, Rowland Ward
Hello All!

I'm a newbie to the Forum, but hope to have many African stories to share in future...

I'm a long-time big game hunter (bear, elk, moose, deer, cougar, sheep and antelope) throughout Alberta and Saskatchewan, Canada, but my "African dream" looks like it is finally going to become a reality!

I'm down to two outfitters - Alberta Hunting Safaris (Ronald Rabie) southwest of Windhoek, Namibia or Lucca African Safaris (Eldre Hattingh), Limpopo RSA.

I'm going for two weeks of hunting and another week for travel days and sightseeing in May, 2011. I want to hunt free ranging game as much as possible and avoid high fences as much as possible.

Primary animals which I hope for are Greater Kudu and Gemsbok, with Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Hartmann's Mountain Zebra and Duiker not far behind. If the opportunity presented itself, Leopard, Springbuck, Warthog, Eland and Blesbuck are also on my list. I'd love to hunt Bushbuck, but they are not available with Alberta Hunting Safaris. I also realize that Leopard is not realistic when I'm not prepared on this first trip to hunt from a blind over bait or with dogs...maybe a future trip.

I will be taking my Winchester Model 70 in .338 Win Mag, but would also like to purchase (and will beforehand) a Ruger Mark II Magnum in .416 Rigby, mounted with a Leupold VX-7. I know the latter gun is probably overkill for plains game, but I've always liked the big caliberss, I like the romantic notion of this particular caliber, and want to have a gun that I can later use on cape buffalo and lion.

Any comments which anyone has regarding the "African experience", Namibia generally, RSA generally, these particular outfitters, travel, clothing, guns etc. etc. etc. would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I'm sure enjoying Roosevelt, Hemingway, Ruark, Boddington, Flack et al as nightly reading!

Dreaming about Kudu :D,

tyee43
Cochrane, Alberta Canada

Welcome to AH tyee43! You will find the site a good resource for your upcoming safari...

Welcome, lots of great guys on this forum!

Ever listen to Peter Sarstedt's song - Hemingway? It will get you in the mood!

Mark

Welcome! Glad you joined the forum. There is a lot of great hunting and beautiful country up your way, but I'm sure you'll love the diversity and great hunting over in Africa.

Greetings from a fellow Canuck. I lived in AB for twelve years, two years the first time (Ft. Mc.) and then years the second time (Peace country). Have friends down your way.

If you are planning on going to Africa you will not find a better site than this.

Welcome to the website, ask any questions you want too. My comments are about the animals. Bushbuck can be the devil to hunt. And I doubt you can hunt them there in Namibia where you are wanting to go...they are a beautiful antelope and I would not want you to miss out on one. The eland can be easy to hunt or a real chore depending on a number of factors. Blesbuck are usually plentiful. Warthogs have a way of disappearing when I'm a round...more of luck than anything...being in the right place at the right time. The rest of the animals are just a matter of hunting and finding a good one. But it all depends on the territory you are hunting.

tyee43 - welcome to the site! - I've learned that if you have questions, you just need to put them out there. There's plenty of experienced folks that are more than willing to provide help, information and advice.

good luck!

"African experience"

tyee43
3 August 2009

I have hunted twice with Lucca Safari's. It was and is probably the best time I have had in my life for several reasons. I took two of my children (19 & 21) on the first safari and all three (13) on the second. I had my favorite rifles, 470 NE and an Empire 375 H&H. If buffalo in not on the list I would not take any rifle but my 375. All my ammo was lost on the 1st trip and I had to buy replacements in Pretoria. At the largest hunting store in town they 270, 3006, one box of 338, my son's rifle, 375 and two boxes of 470.

We had the privilege of getting to know Eldre Hattining, a real true Professional Hunter. Eldre graduated from Stellenboch and played rugby. His parents live in Jefferys Baye in the East Cape and are wonderful people

I collected everything I dreamed of from bush pig to eland. The eland was shot at 253 yards, measured with a range finder, and weigthed over 2,000 pounds. My 375 was zeroed at 100 meters and I held about 10 inches high and made a perfect one shot kill thru the shoulder. The additional animals were under 150 yards. We collected most of the spiral horns in South Africa. We shot two cape buffalo in Otterscluff and the rest in the Northern Cape. We were especially blessed by the character and integrity with Eldre. His staff reflected the qualities we found in his skill and leadership.

My son shot the bush pig when Eldre said to shoot it. It was the middle of the day. Apparently quite rare. My daughter shot a record book bush buck shortly after taking a great gemsbok. I shot a sable early on morning and coming down the mountain a great mountain reedbok.

All the time we were met with the African Experince. The next trip will be with Eldre to Botswana for a tusker. I might pass you in the airport in 2011.

Good hunting.

Ps. Sightseeing is great in SA. Don't miss Cape Town and then back to the Eastern Cape. Try to visit Stellenboch University outside of Cape Town.

Alan Westfall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg