Gorgeous Custom Bowie

This is my Biggest Bowie..15" Blade and 3/8 Thick of D2 Steel...Crown Stag wirh Brass Blade Catcher..I think it weighs a good 4-5pds! Took a whole cow to make the sheath! [emoji13][emoji1783]
(To put in perspective its size look at last photo with a Big Horn Armory 500 Lever)[emoji33][emoji1783]
Screenshot_20230205-095427_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230205-095445_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230205-095855_Gallery.jpg
 
You all might be interested in a book, Mark Zalesky from Knife Magazine has written/published with amazing pictures of original Bowie type knives, "A Sure Defense: the Bowie Knife in America". Through him I have been fortunate to handle/trace/measure/pattern many of those original "Bowie" knives including a documented James Black coffin handle bowie and a Samuel Bell blade.
James Black of Washington, Arkansas was the probable maker of the Bowie #1 model, the large blade below with the angled handle. Samuel Bell was a jeweler/maker in Knoxville, TN and San Antonio, TX in the first half of the 19th Century who made amazing intricate gentleman's knives.
As several posters have already stated the original Bowies were large, heavy blades, I have seen them as thick as a 1/2" spine. They were for a specific cutting edge up style of fighting. My personal favorite has always been the Searles-Fowler Bowie (Right side, third from the bottom) made for Rezin Bowie to give as a gift.

I really like that New Zealand blade, you can definitely see the Gold Rush era, California spear point bowie influence in it. Neat carving on the handle.

 
I’ve been rewatching the movie “The Alamo” (the one with Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Quaid, not John Wayne) and it made me think of this thread. @VertigoBE you should check out the Belgian knife makers Samuel Lurquin and Claude Bouchonville. They make some big stuff.

I may buy a Bowie or big fighter myself. For the heck of it. Although that Randall 1-7 in the classifieds is tempting me..
 
For your viewing pleasure:
 
Since this old thread about Bowie Knives got resurrected from a few years ago, I thought I would take the opportunity to give a nod of thanks to my favorite knife maker, Lin Rhea, who made my last hunting knife for me. It's always interesting to go sit in the forge & watch a skilled craftsman. He does good work:

ah_lin_rhea_bowie-jpg.653401


AH_Lin_Rhea_Bowie1.png


AH_Lin_Rhea_Bowie2.jpg


AH_Lin_Rhea_Bowie3.png
 
I’ve been rewatching the movie “The Alamo” (the one with Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Quaid, not John Wayne) and it made me think of this thread. @VertigoBE you should check out the Belgian knife makers Samuel Lurquin and Claude Bouchonville. They make some big stuff.

I may buy a Bowie or big fighter myself. For the heck of it. Although that Randall 1-7 in the classifieds is tempting me..
Randall was a 1-6. I just snoozed and lost. Just sold for a great price
 
Just reread this thread, one thing is for sure @SAFARIKIDD had some cool shit! He was a good guy!
 
Yes I miss reading his posts on Big Stuff !

When I travel to countries I can’t have a firearm in it is nice to have a couple of Knives at least, a Big one & a few smaller ones.

Lynn Thompson (& crew) of Cold Steel was a regular at our camps for many years, I have several of his knives, I always wanted a Trail Master, Lynn gave me one & his personal Laredo Bowie one year, fantastic knives, just a little on the heavy side when travelling & more so when working.

IMG_0065.jpeg


Ended up carrying every where a OSI, still large but it’s a bit more manageable in real life.

IMG_0066.jpeg


Makes you feel better, till you’re in a country where every body carry’s a Machete & knows how to use them, bit of blade envy !

Then I wished I had my Gurkha Kukri, still be out numbered but getting close.

IMG_0069.jpeg
 
Yes I miss reading his posts on Big Stuff !

When I travel to countries I can’t have a firearm in it is nice to have a couple of Knives at least, a Big one & a few smaller ones.

Lynn Thompson (& crew) of Cold Steel was a regular at our camps for many years, I have several of his knives, I always wanted a Trail Master, Lynn gave me one & his personal Laredo Bowie one year, fantastic knives, just a little on the heavy side when travelling & more so when working.

View attachment 694340

Ended up carrying every where a OSI, still large but it’s a bit more manageable in real life.

View attachment 694342

Makes you feel better, till you’re in a country where every body carry’s a Machete & knows how to use them, bit of blade envy !

Then I wished I had my Gurkha Kukri, still be out numbered but getting close.

View attachment 694347
Nice. Sub hilts are cool
 
Not a Bowie but I just like this thread. Just got this in. Not the most practical but practical is boring sometimes
IMG_3358.jpeg

 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,298
Messages
1,572,010
Members
169,474
Latest member
AubreyWyan
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top