Goose with an 8 bore

James Adamson

AH veteran
Joined
Dec 28, 2019
Messages
138
Reaction score
451
Location
Shetland
Media
60
Hunted
Namibia
I had the privilege of shooting a goose with a Tolley double 8 the other morning. A good friend of mine has a fantastic collection of big bore shotguns, mostly Tolleys. I only bagged a single goose but it's always great getting out with an old fowling piece.
Screenshot_20201022-180157_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20201022-180224_Instagram.jpg
 
Man, that is cool. My dad has an old 8 bore with Damascus barrels and it just stays in the safe.
 
I used to have a friend ( or rather , a friend of a friend ) based in Great Britain , by the name of Mr. Alan Myers . He used to load custom 8 bore ammunition ( and even 4 bore ammunition ) and actually built countless 8 bore ( and 4 bore ) double barreled shotguns ( as well as a few smoothbore ball guns ) . As of 2018 , he was still quite active . However , the last I had heard of him ; he was diagnosed with cancer and sold all of his equipment .

Reading your post , suddenly reminded me of old Alan .
 
Sadly, the use of an 8-bore is illegal in the US for waterfowl by federal law and in all states except Wisconisn for turkey and other birds.
 
I took my 8 Bore Tolley out last year to, was great fun touching off those large BP loads, recoil was smooth to !

My Tolley 8 Bore.JPG
 
The only 8s I have remaining (other than a double rifle) are a Needham 8 and a Scott8 that also has numbered to the gun 10 bore barrels for ball. A one of a kind gun, maybe. I hunt with the Needham as I have brass shells marked 10-bore!
 
OP, you shoot trap or skeet ?
Nice shotgun btw.
 
Those are possibly my favorite waterfowl hunting photos ever.
 
OP, you shoot trap or skeet ?
Nice shotgun btw.
ok, how cool would that be, showing up at the trap line with an 8 bore...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,260
Messages
1,570,089
Members
168,841
Latest member
tn88fund
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top