Goose with an 8 bore

James Adamson

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I had the privilege of shooting a goose with a Tolley double 8 the other morning. A good friend of mine has a fantastic collection of big bore shotguns, mostly Tolleys. I only bagged a single goose but it's always great getting out with an old fowling piece.
Screenshot_20201022-180157_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20201022-180224_Instagram.jpg

Man, that is cool. My dad has an old 8 bore with Damascus barrels and it just stays in the safe.

I used to have a friend ( or rather , a friend of a friend ) based in Great Britain , by the name of Mr. Alan Myers . He used to load custom 8 bore ammunition ( and even 4 bore ammunition ) and actually built countless 8 bore ( and 4 bore ) double barreled shotguns ( as well as a few smoothbore ball guns ) . As of 2018 , he was still quite active . However , the last I had heard of him ; he was diagnosed with cancer and sold all of his equipment .

Reading your post , suddenly reminded me of old Alan .

Sadly, the use of an 8-bore is illegal in the US for waterfowl by federal law and in all states except Wisconisn for turkey and other birds.

I took my 8 Bore Tolley out last year to, was great fun touching off those large BP loads, recoil was smooth to !

My Tolley 8 Bore.JPG

The only 8s I have remaining (other than a double rifle) are a Needham 8 and a Scott8 that also has numbered to the gun 10 bore barrels for ball. A one of a kind gun, maybe. I hunt with the Needham as I have brass shells marked 10-bore!

OP, you shoot trap or skeet ?
Nice shotgun btw.

Those are possibly my favorite waterfowl hunting photos ever.

OP, you shoot trap or skeet ?
Nice shotgun btw.
ok, how cool would that be, showing up at the trap line with an 8 bore...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you