Goose with an 8 bore

James Adamson

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I had the privilege of shooting a goose with a Tolley double 8 the other morning. A good friend of mine has a fantastic collection of big bore shotguns, mostly Tolleys. I only bagged a single goose but it's always great getting out with an old fowling piece.
Screenshot_20201022-180157_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20201022-180224_Instagram.jpg

Man, that is cool. My dad has an old 8 bore with Damascus barrels and it just stays in the safe.

I used to have a friend ( or rather , a friend of a friend ) based in Great Britain , by the name of Mr. Alan Myers . He used to load custom 8 bore ammunition ( and even 4 bore ammunition ) and actually built countless 8 bore ( and 4 bore ) double barreled shotguns ( as well as a few smoothbore ball guns ) . As of 2018 , he was still quite active . However , the last I had heard of him ; he was diagnosed with cancer and sold all of his equipment .

Reading your post , suddenly reminded me of old Alan .

Sadly, the use of an 8-bore is illegal in the US for waterfowl by federal law and in all states except Wisconisn for turkey and other birds.

I took my 8 Bore Tolley out last year to, was great fun touching off those large BP loads, recoil was smooth to !

My Tolley 8 Bore.JPG

The only 8s I have remaining (other than a double rifle) are a Needham 8 and a Scott8 that also has numbered to the gun 10 bore barrels for ball. A one of a kind gun, maybe. I hunt with the Needham as I have brass shells marked 10-bore!

OP, you shoot trap or skeet ?
Nice shotgun btw.

Those are possibly my favorite waterfowl hunting photos ever.

OP, you shoot trap or skeet ?
Nice shotgun btw.
ok, how cool would that be, showing up at the trap line with an 8 bore...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross