Good Gun Deals This Week

A rigby built on a Parker hale barreled action leaving the PH markings on it? Seems fishy
Not fishy. These were "finished" by Rigby (California) and the seller actually does a solid job explaining what it is. Looks like I butchered my reply above, but this one will be interesting. Would not be surprised at all if someone (uneducated IMHO) gets excited and hits buy it now. If they are happy with it and feel they have a "Rigby" then good for them. Just not for me anywhere near buy it now price. Well, honestly not for me other than at Parker Hale price plus perhaps $1500. Others will assign higher value and that is fine.

Not fishy. These were "finished" by Rigby (California) and the seller actually does a solid job explaining what it is. Looks like I butchered my reply above, but this one will be interesting. Would not be surprised at all if someone (uneducated IMHO) gets excited and hits buy it now. If they are happy with it and feel they have a "Rigby" then good for them. Just not for me anywhere near buy it now price. Well, honestly not for me other than at Parker Hale price plus perhaps $1500. Others will assign higher value and that is fine.
Well the ad says it’s an English made rigby, not one of the famous ones out of California. I wound think that Rigby would leave the Parker Hale name on a rifle they built, and it looks very unassuming for a supposed high end British gun.

And the pictures suck too!

Well the ad says it’s an English made rigby, not one of the famous ones out of California. I wound think that Rigby would leave the Parker Hale name on a rifle they built, and it looks very unassuming for a supposed high end British gun.

Well I be go to hell. You are correct. :). Reading is fundamental. He does say English and London. I may be wrong, but thought this was a California initiative only and was referencing his concession that the rifle was a PH "finished" by Rigby.

And I further agree with you. . . the pictures suck. :)

Pretty low price right now on this Rigby, penny start no reserve.

Other members asked about this rifle. Two scenarios here: 1.) It's fake, 2.) Its trash but real.

It's a $400 Parker Hale gun that was restocked, it has an FN style safety, and is overall very low quality. If its fake, its worthless. If its real, its not much better off.

During the 1970s and 1980s Rigby did some things they aren't very proud of. They made cutrate junky guns on CZ, FN, and PH actions. Fit and finish was unremarkable. I see them at auction in the UK all the time with claw mounts and good German glass in calibers like 270 where they go for $2000ish USD. The gun above is inferior to the garden variety Rigby 1980s abominations.

I don't believe this is a Paso Robles Rigby. Their guns were mediocre to mid-grade guns that had dazzling wood and engraving. You have to remember that Rigby made a legal blunder, they forgot to register their trademark in the USA. An enterprising fellow bought the real Rigby ledgers and then registered the trademark in the USA, creating two John Rigby firms for a period of time. Being legally astute, John Rigby of Paso Robles California was very careful to put their location on every gun to avoid the justified wrath of the valid, legitimate, UK maker still in operations.

I don't believe this is a Paso Robles Rigby. Their guns were mediocre to mid-grade guns that had dazzling wood and engraving. You have to remember that Rigby made a legal blunder, they forgot to register their trademark in the USA. An enterprising fellow bought the real Rigby ledgers and then registered the trademark in the USA, creating two John Rigby firms for a period of time. Being legally astute, John Rigby of Paso Robles California was very careful to put their location on every gun to avoid the justified wrath of the valid, legitimate, UK maker still in operations.
Do you believe it’s a London Rigby though? I’m inclined to think someone slapped a mediocre Alan of walnut on a Parker Hale and engraved Rigby on the floor plate.

The other option is that at that point and time Rigby also took on small jobs including whatever this client wanted done to spruce up his PH and engraved “finished by” on the floor plate but didn’t go as far as making it a true rugby? No SN on the trigger guard seems out of character for them.

Do you believe it’s a London Rigby though? I’m inclined to think someone slapped a mediocre Alan of walnut on a Parker Hale and engraved Rigby on the floor plate.

The other option is that at that point and time Rigby also took on small jobs including whatever this client wanted done to spruce up his PH and engraved “finished by” on the floor plate but didn’t go as far as making it a true rugby? No SN on the trigger guard seems out of character for them.

I think there is a fair chance it was worked over by Rigby in the UK, but I hesitate to even say that because it will only “feed the beast” and some reader will buy this abomination based on that statement. It’s not a good gun. Better, but still terrible Rigbys from the 1970s-1980s exist at the $2k-$3k price point.

Many Parker Hales have their serial number inside the bottom metal on the floor plate, incidentally.

Your theory is to avoid custom rifles to not get burned, but your conclusion is to only buy firearms where you’ll 100% get burned?

Production firearms generally go to zero value over time. Most are pretty junkie from the start. There have been many custom guns sold on this forum for $1000 that would have $6000 replacement costs. There have been $4000 used guns on this forum that have $60,000 replacement costs if ordered bespoke new.

A new production gun is 30% marketing costs and 20% product liability, 30% distribution and retail margin. The actual gun’s raw materials and labor (plus profit) are the remaining 20%. Thus, the quality and value of a new production gun running $1500 is about $300. Compare that to a $300 custom Mauser sporter, they aren’t even in the same league.
Like pretty much everything else, the future value of a production gun depends on what gun you’re buying. A Winchester model 70 super grade cost about 90 bucks in 1960. In a run-of-the-mill caliber, like a .270, it’s probably worth $800 today. It will fetch several times that in 300 H&H.

All due respect, I do not think so. I have a John Rigby DR which has Paso Robles on it identifying it as CA. This rifle says London and Birmingham which tells me CA had nothing to do with it.

All due respect, I do not think so. I have a John Rigby DR which has Paso Robles on it identifying it as CA. This rifle says London and Birmingham which tells me CA had nothing to do with it.
You’re right. I skimmed this while multitasking on my phone. Going to stop doing that. :). Was just going from memory, not from the photos in detail. Just look at bottom metal. Will look at them later tonight.

Last edited:
You’re right. I skimmed this while multitasking on my phone. Going to stop doing that. :). Was just going from memory, not from the photos in detail. Just look at bottom metal. Will look at them later tonight.
No worries!!!!

Was watching that one as well. Thank you for some of the insight!

It’s a strange gun alright. Has PH sights barrel and action wood is tarted up and someones engraved the bottom plate?
Cant see why Rigby wood not do away with the PH sight? Installing there flip up ones?

It’s a strange gun alright. Has PH sights barrel and action wood is tarted up and someones engraved the bottom plate?
Cant see why Rigby wood not do away with the PH sight? Installing there flip up ones?

Here’s a nearly identical one that was made in 1952. It is in the much more desirable 7x57 / 275 Rigby caliber, and it had a quality optic included. It fetched an astounding 4x its auction estimate of 250GBP, reaching 886GBP plus hammer premium. Somebody clearly was starry eyed by the word Rigby While ignoring the tell tale signs of a very low quality weapon.

Attachments

• HOLTS Auctioneers.pdf
    469.5 KB · Views: 14
An as-new Westley Richards droplock .470 estimated at between $75,000 - 125,000.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...tley-richards-bicentenary-470-ne-double-rifle

Bearing in mind a new one comes in at 'from' $125,000, this would allow you to get your mitts on a rifle for (potentially) less than the cost price and avoid the waiting time.

For the pedants like me, the 'grocer's apostrophe' - 'Locks' is spelled 'Lock's' on the duplicate leather case - is an irritation.

There are also some tanks, anti-tank field pieces, machine guns, and a PIAT (British bazooka) available in the same auction for those who are determined not to be out-gunned by their PH.

Attachments

• Spode Engraved Westley Richards Bicentenary .470 NE Double Rifle | Rock Island Auction.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Hello friends,

Many of you have asked me for advice on gun searches as it's a bit of a hobby for me to "see what is out there" each week. I discussed this with @AfricaHunting.com and he permitted me to create a running post on the Classifieds section.

The purpose of the posts will be to show what interesting guns of good quality and value may be popping up on the Internet each week. My personal guidelines of a "good gun" are as follows:

"That is a quality weapon with soul, character, inherent quality, and can be purchased for what I or others believe is a good value. This may mean a $60,000 gun is being sold for half of that price, hence a good value, or it may mean that it is a heck of a gun for someone with $200-$300 to spare but they don't want to buy plastic junk. Frugality and quality are important factors so hopefully the well-heeled and the working blue-collar man both get something out of the topic."

I invite others with experience to jump in and "kick the tires" if my critiques are off. There are many experts on this forum that will be able to add to the conversation in the hopes that we all get more knowledgeable at appraising the strengths and weaknesses of the guns listed.

A final warning: While I'll try to list guns that are offered on "legitimate" gun sites, a legitimate site is not a guarantee of a legitimate seller. You must always assess the legitimacy of any purchase by determining the feedback rating, methods of payment, and reasonable terms of any advertisement. Caveat emptor.

Regards,

@rookhawk
thanks so much for this

An as-new Westley Richards droplock .470 estimated at between $75,000 - 125,000.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...tley-richards-bicentenary-470-ne-double-rifle

Bearing in mind a new one comes in at 'from' $125,000, this would allow you to get your mitts on a rifle for (potentially) less than the cost price and avoid the waiting time.

For the pedants like me, the 'grocer's apostrophe' - 'Locks' is spelled 'Lock's' on the duplicate leather case - is an irritation.

There are also some tanks, anti-tank field pieces, machine guns, and a PIAT (British bazooka) available in the same auction for those who are determined not to be out-gunned by their PH.

A beautiful piece of art, but at 75000$ I’m not sure it will sell. The guy with that kind of money, can afford new and have it customised to himself.

Let’s see, but I’m betting it will go at 75000$ or below, or not at all.

A beautiful piece of art, but at 75000$ I’m not sure it will sell. The guy with that kind of money, can afford new and have it customised to himself.

Let’s see, but I’m betting it will go at 75000$ or below, or not at all.

Indeed, I was thinking the same. I think $58k-$65k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ValentinMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.