AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada (Sask, BC, NWT, Nunavut), US (NY, PA, TX, CO, NE, SD, ID, AK)
I hope that this doesn't qualify as the dumbest question of the week for this forum.

While I don't have a great desire to shoot a giraffe, I am curious. I have been told by a PH that giraffes are very easy to hunt. The story goes that since they don't have many natural predators they aren't very wary. To oversimplify it, you just walk up and shoot one. (I know, it's hunting and things are never THAT simple.)

Is there any truth to that story?

Not sure what PH told you this, and maybe that is his experience or opinion. I personally have found giraffe to be extremely wary. Height giving them excellent vantage points. Many, many safari stalks of mine on various species have been busted by giraffe. In addition, I have successfully hunted one. The shots are not all that tricky, but must be placed well. Finding the right old bull is a challenge. You may see a lot of giraffe, but finding that old male is always a journey. Then the stalk. Then the shot. All the time with the stories of animals taking shots just off the mark, and running for miles, or days, or never seen again. I was fortunate my PH had been very thorough before hand, so when the time came, the wind was right, and the sticks were up, I made a good shot in the neck and he fell like a broken ladder. Then the real work began. All in all, it is a magnificent, worthy adversary, and provided a literal ton of meat for the community. And I am sure the mount will bring back all the fond memories of that adventure.

This was from a hunt a few years ago in Namibia, with my wife and daughter. The property was a 50,000 ac high fenced farm. We dubbed this part of the farm, "Giraffic Park." Maybe they weren't on high alert, since giraffe wasn't on our list.

upload_2019-7-10_18-1-50.png

Giraffes that are never hunted and are only taken pictures of can be tame but once giraffe know they are being hunted believe me they can run and dodge you from walking up on them. All you will hear is the hoofs as they run away. Giraffes get very good at using trees as cover as using the wind and terrain against you. Especially the old bulls that have seen a stalk or two.

my experience is what enysse has just stated--if they are hunted they will be wary!

Get off the truck and track one. Try and get in close for a shot, you’ll know just how challenging they are to hunt.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. As I said in my original post, I don't have an itch to shoot one, but you never know what could happen. I never had a desire to hunt Africa at all. All it took was a short conversation with Craig Boddington at SCI and a few months later I was on my first safari. No I can't get enough of Africa.

Ones that get hunted are def wary took a few stalks to get mine! But i have often noticed on concessions that they are not hunting u can get pretty close to them.

Charles, I have never hunted giraffe. No place to put a mount, nor giant skin. I suspect they are like most other game that if they are hunted often, they learn to disappear.
I saw some magnificent Nyala for example, that would have made fantastic trophies, but they were like your pet dog...didn’t care what was going on. Only interested to eat the feed put out for them. We may have been 15 yards from them, but who wants to shoot something like that!

So you may want to ask your PH, outfitter if they are hunted much.
JME&O

I hunted an old bull last year and found it to be a challenging hunt. Stalking an animal that’s looks down is tough. But more than that shot placement is critical on giraffe. It was a fun hunt and over a 1000 lbs of meat delivered to a local school. Complete flat skin rug should be here in a couple months don’t know which couch to throw away.

Their height gives them an advantage in being able to see you in thick cover from a distance too far to reasonably shoot. When they start walking, you have to run to keep up. When tracking them, their enormous prints gives a sense of awe of their size.
You will feed a lot of people if you take one.

If , and I mean if I actually do get to Africa , I want to hunt giraffe . I’ve read enough shot placement isn’t straight forward behind the shoulder like the some of these animals. As mentioned , finding an old one is also tough as they will know you are hunting them once you put some pressure on them. I see giraffes up there with a kudu as an iconic African animal.

My experience was a bit different - in our stalk was not far and we didn’t have to chase after the giraffe. We knew the area the giraffe would be from hunting zebra a few days earlier and stopped to watch the herd of about 8-10 feeding. It was truly amazing to watch such a unique animal in its own wild environment.

The giraffe were not pressured with hunting and I believe the cattle ranchers/farmers/villagers who lived and worked in the area made a difference. The giraffe weren’t running off as they were somewhat used to the presence of a human. Kinda similar to a whitetail here in IN out in a cattle pasture.

We stalked in towards the giraffe in the bush, but when we got too close for comfort, they busted out into the open holding up and stopping about 60 yds from us. We closed the gap a bit before my dad dropped the ol bull where he stood.

The shot placement I found to be unique as well, such as @Mark haynes suggested. The two days leading up to the hunt, our guide constantly went over shot placements with us. Only to have the bull not provide a nice side neck shot as he just stared us down. Just below the chin had to do and the 300 win mag dropped him.

It was the cap stone of our trip and find myself thinking of it more than some of the other hunts. I’d highly recommend hunting giraffe if the opportunity presents itself.

- Sycamore59

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross