Reaction score
Website
www.470ne.com
Media
Member of
None
Hunted
too much to remember.
I got a giraffe for a cape mount. Any ideas to do it nice??.

I have never taken a giraffe..................but I have seen a couple of mounts in trophy rooms that looked good. They were a type of pedestal mount that sat on the floor.

Yes I have only seen them that way or an actual shoulder mount. I spoke to a friend of mine last night who is an award winning taxidermist and does a lot of African game. He said that there just are not very many good forms available for giraffe......partly because it is not a common trophy in the great scheme of things and partly because of the gravity issues with that long neck. There are only so many things they can do with an 8 foot long mount.

Sorry I can't be of more help. You may want to check in with your taxidermist and see what he/she has to say.

I'm thinking in a floor cape mount with a non-straight neck and the head looking down. I'll spend any morning in the local zoo taking pictures and any ideas from alive giraffes.

Thanks skyline, I'll show you the mount when ready ;).

If you have a Taxidermist that is daring, and willing to try something different, then have them mount the head for a wall mount, but with the neck in a recurve ... so that the side of the head is facing the viewer, with a slightly downward tilt so the animal's eye is looking down at the viewer as well!

Or, you can have the giraffe's head up as though it were browsing ... on a pedestal.

Another way is to have the animal mounted with the head and neck downward with a small pool of "water" as though it were drinking.

These are all feasible ideas that have been done before.

John B.

I've found some interesting pics. I like the last one.

Thanks to everyone ;)

Attachments

• giraffe1.jpg
    giraffe1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 217
  • giraffe2.jpg
    giraffe2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 347
  • giraffe3.jpg
    giraffe3.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 353
  • giraffe6.jpg
    giraffe6.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 795
  • giraffe8.jpg
    giraffe8.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 263
The last mount is nice, in fact when you're dealing with the Giraffe, it's hard not to have an impressive trophy!

This is a very nice presentation! I like the animal with it's head in the tree tops!

Attachments

• 'AnimalArtistry'Boyce-GiraffePedestal.jpg
    'AnimalArtistry'Boyce-GiraffePedestal.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 202
Mount

I like the pedestal mounts . Put the giraffe on a floor mount that you can wheel it around for different places in the room and have it mounted starting at the base and have it curved around and then looking at you and then have it eating a tall and bushy green plant-real or not and it will give it great character. I like action in all mounts, you have to look at them so you may as well be looking at something with some or a lot of action... :clap:

Hi everybody,

Do you have an idea for the price to make this kind of mount ?

Regards,

Bernard

I would say right around 2500 US would be a reasonable expectation. The price of puttting a vaulted ceiling in your house, so it will fit, might be a little more.

I would say right around 2500 US would be a reasonable expectation. The price of puttting a vaulted ceiling in your house, so it will fit, might be a little more.

There it is.

Ok, thank you.

My taxidermist ask me 8400 $ and I find that 's verry expensive !

Mount Cost

With regards to cost of a Giraffe Ped Mount..

Our cost to have the shoulder cape tanned is $1475.00 includes shipping from tannery..

Any form on the market will cost $850.00 to $1000.00 shipped from supplier..

So I have no idea how any taxidermist could quote a price of $2500.00 ??

At our studio we would start at $6200.00 for the mount and then add to that that the cost of base... So ballpark figure would be $8500.00 for the finished mount delivered to your door and set up by us..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg