Ghost ring / peep sight integral with scope base?

Russ-F

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (UK); Scottish Gamekeepers Association; English XX (Bisley); Sportsman’s Association; BASC.
Are there any peep sights integral with bases currently available similar to the Brockman sight/base?

I’m looking for a means of having a ghost ring on a Montana 1999 action (.375 H&H) that’s compatible with a low mounted scope.

One which rose up from the scope base like the Brockman or tilted up like some BRNO’s had would be ideal - other ideas welcome.

B55F5FB2-FC78-497F-AC76-C77DE74EBA84.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That really is a neat & very well made adaptation.

Is there any kind of spring used to keep it upright after you’ve lifted it?

Regards
Russell

Hi Russell,
Talley makes a peep that goes into the rear base if a detachable would work for you. Another option is to get ahold of Wayne at AHR in Montana. He has a guy that installs a pop up peep as on the BRNO ZZK. I know that they will do it to a CZ 550 but not sure if there is enough meat on a Model 70 style action to do it on your Montana Rifle.

There is an aperture you can put on when you remove Talley QD scope rings, but it has two downsides:

1.) it’s one more thing to carry

2.) they only have windage adjustments so you’ll need to adjust your front sight to regulate it.

E76BAF02-724C-4199-85AC-411D3FE5E68E.jpeg
4CA62ECB-2FD6-4810-9BC7-411CA17FA62A.jpeg
99361085-C7F9-4C04-AAD8-5E7079702CEE.jpeg

Reactions: JLF
Bullthrower & Rookhawk,
Thanks for the responses. The Talley is a neat solution & one I may have to adopt but as you mention it is one more thing to carry or more likely - forget.

I’m surprised a flip upsight similar to the one shown above by GuttormG isn’t commercially produced.

Regards
Russell

There is an aperture you can put on when you remove Talley QD scope rings, but it has two downsides:

1.) it’s one more thing to carry

2.) they only have windage adjustments so you’ll need to adjust your front sight to regulate it.

View attachment 356919 View attachment 356920 View attachment 356921
The simple solution is one that I have for my own rifle with the Talley bases and aperture sight on my 6.5x57. Make cartridge holder with a small pocket for the aperture and a scope bag where you can carry a few rounds as well as the scope. It can sit down one side of the day bag when not needed for the scope.
DSCN0024 (2).JPG
DSCN0026 (2).JPG
Photo3158.jpg
Photo3160.jpg
Photo0937.jpg
Photo0938.jpg

The simple solution is one that I have for my own rifle with the Talley bases and aperture sight on my 6.5x57. Make cartridge holder with a small pocket for the aperture and a scope bag where you can carry a few rounds as well as the scope. It can sit down one side of the day bag when not needed for the scope.View attachment 360533View attachment 360534View attachment 360535View attachment 360536View attachment 360537View attachment 360538

the cool kid way to do it historically was to have a hinged grip cap or hinged butt plate containing your aperture and extra peeps.

the cool kid way to do it historically was to have a hinged grip cap or hinged butt plate containing your aperture and extra peeps.
Yes but I was never the cool kid and I got to make another couple of piece of gear to go with it this way, (y)(y).

Hello,

I like the old Redfield peep sight that was an option. Screwed in the rear of their scope bases. It can be attached to other rear bases as well. A folding non-obstructive little gem, very well designed.
I bought a base (for a Browning BLR...) with it, only for the sight. By the way, if any of you have an use for that one piece base, less the peep sight, let me know. It is one of the steel machined Redfield bases.

CF

Clodo,
Thanks for that.

I’ve contacted a seller on eBay to see if they’ll post to the UK.

Regards
Russell

The problem with the red field is greater than the problem with the Talley.

both lack elevation adjustments so you must regulate a front sight. That’s expensive or skilled work.

the greater issue with the red field is you must bring tools to remove your scope and when removed, you must sight in the scope again as it is held by windage screws. At least the Talley is QD scope that returns to zero +/- 1 MOA.

That is a slick setup! I’ve not seen that before.

Hi rookhawk,

The little Redfield peep sight do have elevation adjustment. And lateral adjustment as well. Not a lot range of adjustment but good enough.
And can be attached to almost any rear scope mount base. I use mine in a Warne Weaver type rear base with quick detachable rings. A neat combination!

Best

CF

Hi rookhawk,

The little Redfield peep sight do have elevation adjustment. And lateral adjustment as well. Not a lot range of adjustment but good enough.
And can be attached to almost any rear scope mount base. I use mine in a Warne Weaver type rear base with quick detachable rings. A neat combination!

Best

CF

the pictures shown all have windage screws to hold the rear scope ring. How do you use a QD system with the mount alone, no windage screws? Have a picture?

the pictures shown all have windage screws to hold the rear scope ring. How do you use a QD system with the mount alone, no windage screws? Have a picture?
The Redfield sight itself has both horizontal & vertical slots for a limited amount of adjustment.

3F83EC52-D200-431D-95CF-6D38AF02A39C.jpeg

I’ve just ordered one. I’ll attach it to the rear of a Weaver style base. In my case the QD rings go straight on the weaver base.

Hi rookhawk,

I am not speaking about the scope mount (base, or bases, and rings). I mention the Redfield base because Redfield was the only brand I knew who offered the option of this peep sight attached to the rear part of the rear base. I took the peep sight off the Redfield base and use it in a Warne base, basically a Weaver system.
By the way, there is, or was, a little lever to replace one of the windage screws of the Redfield rear base, to convert the system in a quick detachable one to remove the scope without the need of a screwdriver.
If I remember well the brand was Pilkyngton,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg