Getting in shape physically and shooting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date Start date
I live in the foothills and hike a 5 mile loop trail each morning 6 days a week. I hand carry (no sling) a M1 Garand which is pretty close to the weight of my hunting rifle. I also wear a backpack with a 20lb slab of iron inside. If the ground is dry or frozen, then at the end of the hike at the trail head I knock out 50 pushups, then shed the pack, and knock out 50 stomach crunches. If the ground is all sloppy wet, or the snow too deep, then I wait until back at the shack to do those. This routine also helps with my annual elk camp at 6000 ft elevation including a daily 1000 ft climb up to where the big racks live.
I average shooting practice once a week. From December to around April it's mostly fiddling with rifles, scopes, other equipment and all manner of ballistic gack. After that the focus shifts to weekly field practice of off-hand, off-sticks, tree limbs, fence posts, kneeling and sitting. I get all my prone practice from an annual trip to p-dog towns.
Oh, yea - I'm 68.
That’s pretty much how you do it. Best way to be fit for carrying a rifle in the field is to carry a rifle in the field. And the best way to get in shape is to stay in shape. WELL DONE!

One thought: resistance training (weights) is critical as we get older. For a time, aerobic fitness was considered the be-all of fitness. Trouble is, we lose muscle as we age and aerobics doesn’t do much to stop that. Lifting does. Actually, it is entirely possible to build muscle. I watched my mother be unable to get out of a chair for the last few years of her life. It’s pretty common. Put some lean muscle mass in the bank. Your future self will be glad you did.
 
Last edited:
Don't get Covid bad.... doesn't do great for fitness...
 
These posts help for sure. I work from home now and I have been running 5 days a week for over a month now. Weights about 3 days a week but just barbells. I was about 315 or more but I have lost some weight. I have until July to get into shape. I started easing into it as I tore my hamstring in May. I guess at 38 Years old I can’t handle racing against my 11 year old without getting injured. Lol
My plan is to start shooting heavy after January. I do have close access to my club where I can shoot,etc.
my goal is to get to 250 by trip date.
Piece of cake. Ever heard of David Goggins?

 
I keep waiting for one of our AH sponsors to offer a Rickshaw special hunt...

Nothing has come up so I guess I will be starting longer walks soon.
 
There was a good discussion a few years ago on this very subject

 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,185
Members
169,923
Latest member
Krystle556
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top