Getting in shape physically and shooting

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
I live in the foothills and hike a 5 mile loop trail each morning 6 days a week. I hand carry (no sling) a M1 Garand which is pretty close to the weight of my hunting rifle. I also wear a backpack with a 20lb slab of iron inside. If the ground is dry or frozen, then at the end of the hike at the trail head I knock out 50 pushups, then shed the pack, and knock out 50 stomach crunches. If the ground is all sloppy wet, or the snow too deep, then I wait until back at the shack to do those. This routine also helps with my annual elk camp at 6000 ft elevation including a daily 1000 ft climb up to where the big racks live.
I average shooting practice once a week. From December to around April it's mostly fiddling with rifles, scopes, other equipment and all manner of ballistic gack. After that the focus shifts to weekly field practice of off-hand, off-sticks, tree limbs, fence posts, kneeling and sitting. I get all my prone practice from an annual trip to p-dog towns.
Oh, yea - I'm 68.
That’s pretty much how you do it. Best way to be fit for carrying a rifle in the field is to carry a rifle in the field. And the best way to get in shape is to stay in shape. WELL DONE!

One thought: resistance training (weights) is critical as we get older. For a time, aerobic fitness was considered the be-all of fitness. Trouble is, we lose muscle as we age and aerobics doesn’t do much to stop that. Lifting does. Actually, it is entirely possible to build muscle. I watched my mother be unable to get out of a chair for the last few years of her life. It’s pretty common. Put some lean muscle mass in the bank. Your future self will be glad you did.

Last edited:
Don't get Covid bad.... doesn't do great for fitness...

These posts help for sure. I work from home now and I have been running 5 days a week for over a month now. Weights about 3 days a week but just barbells. I was about 315 or more but I have lost some weight. I have until July to get into shape. I started easing into it as I tore my hamstring in May. I guess at 38 Years old I can’t handle racing against my 11 year old without getting injured. Lol
My plan is to start shooting heavy after January. I do have close access to my club where I can shoot,etc.
my goal is to get to 250 by trip date.
Piece of cake. Ever heard of David Goggins?

I keep waiting for one of our AH sponsors to offer a Rickshaw special hunt...

Nothing has come up so I guess I will be starting longer walks soon.

There was a good discussion a few years ago on this very subject

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VetaBirdso

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross