Getting animals back...what's the complete process?

buddy48

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Georgia, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Missouri, South Africa
Ok, I thought I had this figured out but I'm second guessing myself on one part.

1. Kill animal.
2. Skin, flesh, and salt.
3. Transport to taxidermist for dip and pack.
4. Taxidermist dips and packs.
4. Taxidermist ships. Use who they choose?
5. Customs brokerage firm clears shipment thru customs etc in the U.S.; they work with taxidermist.
6. Animals go to The Artistry of Wildlife for mounting. ;)

The one part that isn't clear is the shipping. I assume the taxidermist I use for dip and pack will get a quote on shipping me provide that to me correct?

Just contact Dennis and see who he thinks you should use for DS. There is another thread going on now about your question.

Just contact Dennis and see who he thinks you should use for DS. There is another thread going on now about your question.

I've been in touch with him. He knows who I am using and I have most of it worked out. I just realized tonight I wasn't 100% clear how the shipping part was managed. Kind of important to understand that part huh.

Are you using a importer such as SSI on the forum here or another one?

I used SSI and they knew my dip and pack taxidermist in South Africa and they took care of everything after my trophies were dropped off at the dip and pack company until they reached my taxidermist here in Colorado.

Dennis got me in contact with Micheal Lewis with Coppersmith in Chicago since it is close to him. He could do the same thing as the importer.

My D and P company used SBS Logistics (Pty) Ltd to do the shipping of my trophies their sat in the airport for about a week. I contacted Delta international shipping and they got it on the next day. The person from SBS Logistics (Pty) Ltd told me for several day after it got into Atlanta it was still in SA. I would not recommend them for anything.

Dennis will take care of it for you

4. Taxidermist ships. Use who they choose?
............. I assume the taxidermist I use for dip and pack will get a quote on shipping me provide that to me correct?

There are multiple freight forwarders. Tell them what you are shipping and ask for a quote.
At least compare what is on offer.

The dip/pack place will get you a quote but your free to get your own quotes also. Get the size and weight of crate and then email some guys. I am sure dennis will help get you a quote also. It all depends on how much shopping you want to do for pricing.

Contact Coppersmith, they do a great job

Just as a FYI SSI has a office in Chicago and a number of other cities here in the US. They will have your trophies shipped to the one nearest to your taxidermist or tannery to help with the cost of the ground shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have use coppersmith like dennis does now already. They will get the job done and save you a few bucks over some other services. I used coppersmith in new York and had good luck with them.

Just a slight clarification to your original post.

When the dipped and packed trophies are shipped from Africa, you might actually ship them to the tannery, not the taxidermist. Depends who has the import license and where the tannery and taxidermist are located, relative to each other.

I too have used Coppersmith and they have done a great job each time. Not sure how their prices compare though.

Dave

Sadly, you may have left out a few unforeseen steps. Lets hope these pieces don't happen to you:

-Overpay the taxidermist so they can give a kickback to the outfitter, PH or rancher
-Get billed shipping 2x, once to get it out of African country A, another to get it out of Jo'burg for transport to USA
-Cost to buy new capes to redo work in the states when bad taxidermy shows up from Africa
-Pay for unforeseen additional export control permits and fees not on the initial estimates
-Pay for crating charges not calculated in the dip/pack bill

It's a rough world. Thankfully this forum will set you straight on the steps to take and will help you become an educated consumer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg