Gear you couldn’t hunt without

Ammo, forgot it once. Realised while getting my gear out the car after a 4 hour drive... Ruined my day.
A friend and I drove for two days and then flew into the mountains for 45 minutes for a caribou hunt, where he found he had forgotten his clip....

In Africa as in America you do not carry a rifle in the bush while doing certain tasks. Example in our hunting concession while surveying for road building I will cross several times through National Parks land where I would be shot! I find that it makes much more sense to stay away from dangerous game than have to shoot one for my "error". Yes my little piece of mutton cloth, string & hardwood ash may not look "manly" to someone like your self, but it does help me to make it through another day, oh I keep my PH license.

binocs, toilet paper (guns and ammo goes without saying, how else are you going to hunt? with a bow?? ) ;)

A friend and I drove for two days and then flew into the mountains for 45 minutes for a caribou hunt, where he found he had forgotten his clip....

What was he shooting? A Garand? :D Seriously though, if you have a detachable magazine, it should be inserted in the rifle before you close the case. Ask me how I know this.

What was he shooting? A Garand? :D Seriously though, if you have a detachable magazine, it should be inserted in the rifle before you close the case. Ask me how I know this.
He had a Tikka 300 WSM. I am pretty sure it won't happen to him again... is 'clip' the wrong terminology?

Rifle etc., knife, flash light, rain gear, fire starter, some food and water (in a pack) and some cordage.

@Rick Cox Definitely. A clip is a metal frame that goes into the magazine with the cartridges and drops out (or in updated 88 rifles, flies out the top) as the last round is chambered. A charger (also known as a stripper clip) stays outside the magazine when the cartridges are fed in (or stripped), e.g. when loading a Mauser 93/95/96/98 rifle, a Short Magazine Lee Enfield or the majority of Mauser 'broomhandle' pistols. A detachable magazine is exactly that.

Correct usage is especially important when you consider that carriage of a loaded magazine in a motor vehicle on a public highway (or when arriving at or departing from a live firing range) could be illegal whereas chargers and clips tend to be exempt from legislation/regulation and ... no, I have no idea why Savage Arms took the ludicrous step of referring to their detachable magazines as clips!

Last edited:
The Blonde ....forgot her once
20049157_10211827372472660_278213793_o.jpg

Lots of good stuff above, for swamp buffalo...knee pads. That dry mud is a killer on a long crawl. CB

In Africa as in America you do not carry a rifle in the bush while doing certain tasks. Example in our hunting concession while surveying for road building I will cross several times through National Parks land where I would be shot! I find that it makes much more sense to stay away from dangerous game than have to shoot one for my "error". Yes my little piece of mutton cloth, string & hardwood ash may not look "manly" to someone like your self, but it does help me to make it through another day, oh I keep my PH license.

Mlibizi, I take it you were slightly offended by my sarcasm and admittedly your initial post about if I didn't know what an ash bag was it should disqualify me from hunting dangerous game and inferred, at least with you. I apologize if I have slighted you and assure you, I would be a client you would appreciate and want back as a repeat customer, dangerous game included (if I win the lotto maybe I can do some day ).

@Rick Cox Definitely. A clip is a metal frame that goes into the magazine with the cartridges and drops out (or in updated 88 rifles, flies out the top) as the last round is chambered. A charger (also known as a stripper clip) stays outside the magazine when the cartridges are fed in (or stripped), e.g. when loading a Mauser 93/95/96/98 rifle, a Short Magazine Lee Enfield or the majority of Mauser 'broomhandle' pistols. A detachable magazine is exactly that.

Correct usage is especially important when you consider that carriage of a loaded magazine in a motor vehicle on a public highway (or when arriving at or departing from a live firing range) could be illegal whereas chargers and clips tend to be exempt from legislation/regulation and ... no, I have no idea why Savage Arms took the ludicrous step of referring to their detachable magazines as clips!
Well there you have it. I am going to have to retrain everyone I know that has a rifle with "detachable magazine".

Preparation H

I hate to hunt without a sling. I'm not a fan of "African Carry" and hand carrying a 9 pound rifle all day gets old quick.

For similar reasons this is why one of my rifles is a Ruger No1, 2 are built on Mauser actions and the Browning A bolt has the magazine permanently attached.

For similar reasons this is why one of my rifles is a Ruger No1, 2 are built on Mauser actions and the Browning A bolt has the magazine permanently attached.
Yeah, it gave me a new appreciation of integral magazines. Single shot is great if it is a Ruger#1, but if you can drop a round through the action, well, I guess it builds character.

Well there you have it. I am going to have to retrain everyone I know that has a rifle with "detachable magazine".

R. Lee Ermey did a short sequence about correct terminology, in an episode of his show. Same message but possibly more entertaining than my answer! :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 8.09.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 8.09.21 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
GPS. I got lost up north once and the setting sun is a good stimulus to remember it!

Well when you hunt oz buffalo on the Northern Territory I strongly suggest a gps.
Good idea Pheroze!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikoans2

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you