Gear loadout

Hopefully so. The wife and I are going to the DSC and plan on attending the AH dinner. I look very much forward to getting to talk in person with some guys that have actual boots on the ground experience. Things like the smell of the fire and most certainly the local beer are at the top of my list. I contacted an old army friend of mine today to see if anyone on thier teams was a Shona speaker. All SF guys are trained in a foreign language that coincides with the geographical area that thier team is responsible for. 3rd group in this case for African operations. I want to learn as much of the local stuff as possible. I am particularly excited about getting to see these trackers work thier magic. I hope to learn a lot from them.
@Backyardsniper.
If'n you do your part the trackers won't have much to do but their ability to spot game at distance that the averageeperson would have trouble seeing with binoculars is unreal.
Bob

You wii over pack on your first safari. We all did too. You only need 3 sets of hunting shirts and pants. Layer, layer, layer. Mornings can be cold. Afternoons warm to hot.cotton and light weight wool are your friends.

Treat your clothes with permethrin before you pack. African tick borne illnesses are a real concern. A wide brimmed hat shades your face fron sun and your quarry. Bring sunglasses. Bring a good pair of 8 or 10 power binoculars.

Safari gaiters are worth their weight in gold. Wear one pair of hunting boots and pack a spare. Light wool socks and a liner prevent foot problems. Take a small hunting pack as your personal bag with meds, passport, and all hunting documents. Have several printed copies of passport and U S customs forms.

Add a sense of humor, a modicum of patience, a willingness to learn from your PH and trackers, guns and ammo and you will have the most magical experience any hunter will ever have. YOUR FIRST safari.

Concerning shooting sticks, sure the three legged version look more traditional. And it is still the most used, because they are easier to make in the bush if one finds oneself too far from supplies.

But there are better things out there right now. Just like the micro fleece is better than a heavy woolen coat, a 4 legged stick like the viper flex or the 4StableSticks that I have are vastly superior for plains game.

I mention PG specifically, because for ele and buffalo, I have understood that this hunting is usually at much closer distance, between 10 and 50m. In that case the three legged should be just fine, and even be of an advantage on a moving target.

But the bench rest like stability of a quality 4 legged shooting stick cannot be denied. In fact even AfricanCreations is now offering their version of the same concept, where the rifle is held in the front and in the back, like a bench rest.

Concerning the rest of the gear, I agree with the other more experienced members here. A wide brimmed hat, I like my Tilley. Bino’s with a simple and thin harness, a head light and a camera/good smart phone are the most important pieces of kit. A chap stick was something I also appreciated, which was a surprise as I normally never use one. Clothes you’ll probably have already.

Go check out some of the packing lists I and other members have put on this forum. Or the excellent YT videos of @phillip glass.

Planning and getting the gear is half the fun of a safari!
YES I forgot about chapstick! I would definitely bring that.

Great info guys. I appreciate it. I will certainly check into those 4 legged shooting sticks. I'll take all the extra stability I can get. Those sound very nice.
I’m a big advocate of quad sticks, but I’m not sure they are the best for brush in Zimbabwe. If your shots are going to be less than 100 yards a tripod is the way to go. The quad sticks are more accurate but also take longer to set up for most and many PHs and trackers aren’t familiar with them and can cost you your chance at an animal on a dangerous game hunt. If you want to buy a pair for a future plains game hunt with shots at further distances, you’ll be really impressed but I don’t think your PH will think they are best for your hunt. I like 4 stable sticks, viper flex sticks are great too. If you decide to buy a pair just make sure you get a pair with a flat front rest and not a V. Adjustments with the V put spring tension into the sticks and your shot won’t be as accurate.

I have actually found that 3 legged sticks are more than sturdy enough to shoot from especially if the terrine is not level

If you ask your outfitter for a list he likely already has one prepared. You’ll be surprised how little they’ll suggest you bring but conditions are really predictable unlike a lot of hunting in North America. The weather will be predictable dry and sunny with no rain. Temperatures will be very predictable for the time of year. In a wilderness camp it will definitely be daily laundry. Chapstick and sunscreen is probably more important to me than any other item. Super glue has proven very useful several times too.

Pack light, @WAB has the right idea. Laundry is,or should be, done every day. I would recommend a wide brimmed hat. The African sun is strong. A roll of electrical tape is great for emergencies when you have to wing it a bit.
ViperFlex Sticks are the dogs genitalia, followed by Stable sticks. Quad sticks offer a much more stable shooting platform than the 3 point sticks that PH’s used to use and I’m sure some still do. An antibiotic ointment or some Sudocream can fix a lot of woes.
Camo clothing may not go down to well in some countries and frankly dark toned clothing is more suitable. Remember the S’s ? Scent, shape, silhouette…..
Smartwool or indeed any good wool socks make life more bearable for the feet.
I’ve never found much use for a knife in Africa but a Leatherman is indispensable.

@WAB
I've gone commando since I was 15 so close on 48 years. Can't stand the useless bloody undies or boxer shorts or as some think a g string. Bob
Possibly more information than we needed

I have a file of typed hunting lists I have used all over the world for more than fifty years. They are all subject to modification.. but are all entitled, WHEN IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT OUT

It is so hard to not pack the extra junk. I'm heading out on an Elk hunt in Oct and I know exactly what gear I will need yet I will still bring the stuff that I "might" need
Just remember that your outfitter will have a lot of equipment that he will be happy to let you use such as a rifle cleaning kit. However a Bore Snake is handy to take to the field just in case.

If you go to your outfitters web site I would wager that they have a list of what they suggest for you to bring. I way over packed but one thing that I'll take again is a roll of DucTape. Then just leave it at your outfitters lodge.

dog tick & flea shampoo cheap insurance to prevent tick bite fever.
Don't treat yourself like a dog. Use permethrin on your clothing before you leave and you are good.

1627777497478.png

Pack light, @WAB has the right idea. Laundry is,or should be, done every day. I would recommend a wide brimmed hat. The African sun is strong. A roll of electrical tape is great for emergencies when you have to wing it a bit.
ViperFlex Sticks are the dogs genitalia, followed by Stable sticks. Quad sticks offer a much more stable shooting platform than the 3 point sticks that PH’s used to use and I’m sure some still do. An antibiotic ointment or some Sudocream can fix a lot of woes.
Camo clothing may not go down to well in some countries and frankly dark toned clothing is more suitable. Remember the S’s ? Scent, shape, silhouette…..
Smartwool or indeed any good wool socks make life more bearable for the feet.
I’ve never found much use for a knife in Africa but a Leatherman is indispensable.
The vast majority of PH's outside a few of the lodges in SA use tripod sticks. I have seen and used more bipods than quads (admittedly not real hard - I have yet to be in a camp where any PH employed a quad of any brand).

I personally have no use for them (and yes I own a set) - They are indeed stable, but so is my benchrest and lead sled - I don't take them into the bush either. With a little practice, a tripod will insure superb accuracy as far as your PH will let you take a shot. I have easily killed game to 250 yards off of them in Africa, and right at 300 here in the States (nilgai).

Your PH will likely be very comfortable using a tripod (particularly his own). The last thing I would want to do is incumber him with something new and unnecessary - particularly on my first safari in Africa.

dog tick & flea shampoo cheap insurance to prevent tick bite fever.
You have got to be kidding. o_O Why not go all in and get your vet to just give you a prescription for Bravecto. :unsure:

Yeah I plan to purchase a set of the African creation. Some nice wood three legged sticks and do a whole lot of practice. From my understanding in the Save' it is unlikely that you will have the need to shoot much over 100yds and at that distance most any kind of shooting stick should be fine.

I will probably skip on the flea and tick shampoo but I will say when we were in Iraq we used flea collars around our ankles to keep the sand fleas at bay and it worked pretty well. Probably not the best solution but then again we all carried tampons to plug bullet holes and silly string to locate trip wires. all of those things while unorthodox did work extremely well.

I will probably skip on the flea and tick shampoo but I will say when we were in Iraq we used flea collars around our ankles to keep the sand fleas at bay and it worked pretty well. Probably not the best solution but then again we all carried tampons to plug bullet holes and silly string to locate trip wires. all of those things while unorthodox did work extremely well.
Quite a few vets on here. Won't find many of us using dog care products on African hunts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,