Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Shawn.54, I saw this sight in one of the posts re. your 404 Jeffery threads. I suggested that you thread it now, so you could install an insert at a later time if you wanted to. The tang moves the rear sight even closer to the eye, that is why I was wondering if you ever considered it. Most guys would do just what you're doing. Tang sights are more a thing of the past and are normally used on less powerful rifles. On second thought maybe suggesting them was a "bum" idea.

Last edited:

ZG47

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA, NZMSC
Hunted
New Zealand
Shawn.54, have you ever thought of using a "tang" site on your 404? Many years ago I purchased a rifle second hand that had a tang sight on it. There was a removable insert in it, I removed the insert and after some range testing and a white tail hunt never put it back.

Tang sights were reportedly tried ( and discontinued) on heavy recoiling rifles, due to a propensity to take out the shooter's eye. This is why tang sights that lock into position are recommended for non-blackpowder centrefire loads and when using self defence loads in light rifles like the Model 94 trapper in .44 Magnum.

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
How many thousandths thick will the cerakote coating be?

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
That is a great looking sight Shaun. One reason to thread the aperture is that it will help to disrupt any possibility of shine strike. I really like the ones I have had and those I still have. A very quick and accurate sighting system and being bridge mounted on the heavier rifles it gives the longest sighting plain and negates any possibility of recoil danger that a bolt mounted or more particularly a tang mounted sight might promote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khjwrgiowr01

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.