For Sale Custom Montana 404 Jeffery

Hi Andrew. Just a thought that you may or may not agree with. If you have another rifle built rather than buying one off the rack, particularly a African style dangerous game rifle, you might consider not having a muzzle brake built onto the rifle. Yes I know it unscrews and you can place a cap on it. But there are a significant number of hunters who would never buy a big bore with a brake on it. And if they did, would likely have it cut off by a smith. Many of us have a belief (right or wrong) that it ruins the lines of what would otherwise be a gorgeous rifle. This obviously only applies if the original owner is trying to sell that rifle in the future. Anyway just a thought so if you have one built in the future, the possibility of a resale increases your number of potential buyers if you decide to get rid of it. Good luck with a sale.
I completely agree with you that it’s not preferred. I don’t think the rifle looks bad at all with the protector on.
This rifle was a factory made Montana 1999 and it already had what is called their flats break. Unfortunately I couldn’t do anything with it so I just had a thread protector made. My next rifle will will be a Heym express and obviously it will not have a break.

No you didn’t miss anything. Its a Montana 1999 action. The action is essentially a modified m70 action. It’s a factory chambering, not a conversion.

I used this action (Montana used to sell the action alone) to build my .500 MDM that accounted for the elephant in my profile picture and others. It is a very strong action, CRF and comes with a 3 position safety to boot. So, the buyer of the rifle would have nothing to worry about in regards to the action.

I completely agree with you that it’s not preferred. I don’t think the rifle looks bad at all with the protector on.
This rifle was a factory made Montana 1999 and it already had what is called their flats break. Unfortunately I couldn’t do anything with it so I just had a thread protector made. My next rifle will will be a Heym express and obviously it will not have a break.
Never heard of a flats break. Learn something new everyday.

If I hadn’t bought a Blaser, I’d be all over this! Beautiful! If it functions and shoots as well as my MRC 375 H&H, it’s going to make someone a great rifle!

L
Hello Andrew, I sent you a private message.
Ron

A bit au contraire here. I personally am very fond of muzzle breaks on heavy rifles. I have several with removal breaks and one, a custom Weatherby that is chambered in 375 H&H with very subtle, barely noticeable slots (I assume) lasered in. I will concede the one in question won't win a beauty contests, but apparently it is removeable. Given that most of these types of rifles see little actual field use, shooting them for fun and games just cuts down on the abuse. You can always remove them for a hunt where the PH might object. Although I am firm believer in the "Golden Rule," i.e., he with the gold rules. In other words, if I am writing the checks, I call the shots (pun intended) within reason, of course.
But I digress.

Regarding a custom gun or bespoke same. I believe the absolutely silliest thing one can do is worry about resale. Do that and you are already comprising the "custom" aspect. If resale is important to you, then maybe a custom gun is a poor choice. If I order or purchase an item I like, it's for me and not for someone else down the line. The money is spent - forget about it. If you plan on dropping 20k plus or whatever on a hunt (or taking the lady on a cruise), the money is gone and only the memories remain, which are what really matter. So, if you dropped another 10k on a custom built rifle for the hunt, does it really made if you could only get 5k for it after the hunt?

Nice rifle! Love the 404. I have a Colorado Buck 505 Gibbs with the huge PH action. Came with a non removable brake and am thinkin of getting it sawed off. The end will have to re Cerakoted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg