For Sale As New Blaser R8 .375 H&H Standard Barrel With Iron Sights & Magazine Insert $999

One Day...

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Europe, America, Canada, Africa
Hello;
I have decided to use a Blaser R8 .375 H&H "semi-weight" barrel.
I am selling my Blaser R8 .375 H&H "standard" barrel: 17 mm diameter at muzzle, 25.5" overall length.
I bought the barrel factory new in November 2020.
I have shot exactly 18 rounds (factory loads 300 gr Federal Nosler NP and Barnes TSX) through the barrel, after giving it a thorough cleaning/degreasing coming from the factory.
The barrel has never been hunted and never went to the field. It is as new with zero ding, dent, scratch, blemish, etc.
The .375 H&H magazine insert is included.
Blaser factory iron sights are included.
Price $999 + $30 shipping (lower 48 States).
US Postal Service money order.
No FFL required
Please PM me if interested.

R8 .375 H&H standard barrel & insert.jpg

R8 .375 H&H standard barrel.jpg

Last edited:
Folks, if you need a .375 this is the one to get. If I didn't have this exact one already, it would be sold. Great price too.

Folks, if you need a .375 this is the one to get. If I didn't have this exact one already, it would be sold. Great price too.

dido

this truly is “one barrel to rule them all”

In response to several PM asking the same question, I can take payment through PayPal (friends) or US Postal Service Money Order.
The first person to commit (and preferably PayPal the payment) will get it :)
Thx
P

Exactly

With scope, mount, sling, ammunition and an alloy receiver it makes up into a rifle of around nine lbs which is, to my mind, just about ideal for a .375.

Last edited:
dido
this truly is “one barrel to rule them all”
Exactly
With scope, mount, sling, ammunition and an alloy receiver it makes up into a rifle of around nine lbs which is, to my mind, just about ideal for a .375.

I totally agree.

My scale says 9.5 lbs. exactly for the standard .375 H&H barrel and Leica 2.5-10x42 scope, which makes it about 9 lbs. with a lighter Leupold 3-9x40 or 1-5x24 scope:

1612665504426.png

Now, where it becomes interesting in my case, is that:

The .257 Wby standard barrel has the same contour as the .375 H&H standard barrel but a much smaller bore. Therefore, the .257 Wby barrel weighs more, at 3 lbs. 6 oz. Also, the scope on my .257 Wby barrel is a bigger Zeiss 4-16x50 with BDC ballistic turret that weighs more than the scope on my .375 barrel, at 1 lb. 7 oz.
As a result, when barreled with the .257 Wby barrel and its scope, my R8 weighs 10 lbs. 2 oz., which I find quite nice to carry, and even better to shoot super accurately ;)

Changing the standard 2 lbs. 15 oz. .375 H&H barrel for the semi-weight 3 lbs. 10 oz. .375 H&H barrel will bring my .375 H&H configuration to 10 lbs. 3 oz., i.e. essentially the same weight as my .257 Wby configuration.

I see a strong rationale getting all my R8 hunting configurations at essentially the same weight (the .300 Wby configuration with also a Zeiss 4-16x50 with BDC weighs 10 lbs. even, a tad less than the .257 Wby configuration because the .300 bore is larger).
Not to mention that the semi weight barrel will further tame the already very acceptable .375 H&H recoil on the R8 :)

Last edited:
Good data, and something to think about for me.

@One Day... i think I asked this before, do you find the pelican 1700 the ideal case for the R8, or would you suggest a different size. I’d like to try and get 2 R8’s in the same case.

I am blissfully preparing for a July hunt and assuming the best.

I fit a R8 with 2 barrels and a Krieghoff double .470 in my Pelican 1700, so I would expect zero issue fitting 2 R8 and 3 barrels. The scopes need to go in your suitcase or carry-on though...

Pelican 1700 with Krieghoff .470 + Blaser R8 & 2 barrels.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!

Which foam to you have in that case?

My long term goal with an R8 is to have a small enough package that it can just sneak into the family vehicle every time we leave town for the countryside (without an askance look from my spouse).

I bought military grade high density foam on eBay, that I cut to fit with a sharp kitchen knife. The factory Pelican foam is too soft to maintain heavy components in tight place...

1612669036135.png

You can make the foam a two layer setup and fit much more in. Below is my 1750.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are you going to buy a new semiweight receiver? Or have yours opened up?
Well.........................

I am on record for saying that a $4,500 R8 steel receiver (including 16 oz. kickstop) is highway robbery and taking advantage of perceived-wealthy, Africa-going clients, because there is nothing from a cost of production perspective that justifies the steel receiver stock to be priced 3x times the price of the alloy receiver stock. I stick to my point and refuse to be taken advantage of. Call it misplaced pride...

I hesitated long and hard getting one for $2,500 when EuroOptics was discounting them 45% to reduce their stock in 2019/2020, but I was not ready for a Blaser purchase at the time because there was too much information about the Blaser components I had not researched yet at the time. I then regretted not doing it once I knew enough about the R8 configurations...

I have kept a sharp eye out since and just bought one last week on Gun Broker. It is technically used, but it is as-new (one trip to the range), coming from a fellow who wanted a 22 mm channel for a match barrel, but who found the steel receiver stock too heavy. It was priced below the EuroOptics discounted price, at a price I was willing to pay :)

I will take out the 16 oz. kickstop for now. This will give me a .375 H&H a tad on the heavy side around 11 lbs. with Leica ER i 2.5-10x42 BDC or Leica Magnus i 1-6.3x24 scope ( which does not bother me at all: I can't tell another 1 lb. or not when the rifle is slung on my shoulder) but it will also make it delightful to shoot ( I have always shot better rifles with a little heft) with lower perceived recoil (hence better accuracy). My scoped CZs DG rifles were typically hovering around 11 lbs. and I just loved them that way, so this is not new territory for me :)

The recent post "Disappointed in my .404" comes to mind: give me the choice between 1.5 lb. more and unpleasant recoil... I know we do not all see things the same way, and it is fine: to each our own. I personally choose 15% additional weight = 15% less free recoil...

There might be a .458 Lott barrel in my future, in which case the 16 oz. kickstop will be re-installed.

I will likely keep the alloy receiver stock, with / without the 12 oz. kickstop installed, for a comparatively lighter .257 Wby / .300 Wby Western US configuration...

You can make the foam a two layer setup and fit much more in. Below is my 1750.
Superb set up!

I had seen it before and almost copied you :)

What made me go for the 1700 in the end is the fact that the 1750 exceeds the cumulated 62" linear allowed by the airlines. They have started charging excess-size fees for it... In my case (3 to 4 flights from Arizona to African destinations, plus return flights) this will quickly add up to $800. I can think of better ways to spend $800...

I guess that I could do the multi layers set up in the 1700, and put the scopes in it too, but I prefer to have a full layer of protection under and over the layer that contains the parts. I already had one fine rifle destroyed during airport handling, so I play it safe now...

Last edited:
Well.........................

I am on record for saying that a $4,500 R8 steel receiver (including 16 oz. kickstop) is highway robbery and taking advantage of perceived-wealthy, Africa-going clients, because there is nothing from a cost of production perspective that justifies the steel receiver stock to be priced 3x times the price of the alloy receiver stock. I stick to my point and refuse to be taken advantage of. Call it misplaced pride...

I hesitated long and hard getting one for $2,500 when EuroOptics was discounting them 45% to reduce their stock in 2019/2020, but I was not ready for a Blaser purchase at the time because there was too much information about the Blaser components I had not researched yet at the time. I then regretted not doing it once I knew enough about the R8 configurations...

I have kept a sharp eye out since and just bought one last week on Gun Broker. It is technically used, but it is as-new (one trip to the range), coming from a fellow who wanted a 22 mm channel for a match barrel, but who found the steel receiver stock too heavy. It was priced below the EuroOptics discounted price, at a price I was willing to pay :)

I will take out the 16 oz. kickstop for now. This will give me a .375 H&H a tad on the heavy side around 11 lbs. with Leica ER i 2.5-10x42 BDC or Leica Magnus i 1-6.3x24 scope ( which does not bother me at all: I can't tell another 1 lb. or not when the rifle is slung on my shoulder) but it will also make it delightful to shoot ( I have always shot better rifles with a little heft) with lower perceived recoil (hence better accuracy). My scoped CZs DG rifles were typically hovering around 11 lbs. and I just loved them that way, so this is not new territory for me :)

The recent post "Disappointed in my .404" comes to mind: give me the choice between 1.5 lb. more and unpleasant recoil... I know we do not all see things the same way, and it is fine: to each our own. I personally choose 15% additional weight = 15% less free recoil...

There might be a .458 Lott barrel in my future, in which case the 16 oz. kickstop will be re-installed.

I will likely keep the alloy receiver stock, with / without the 12 oz. kickstop installed, for a comparatively lighter .257 Wby / .300 Wby Western US configuration...

Superb set up!

I had seen it before and almost copied you :)

What made me go for the 1700 in the end is the fact that the 1750 exceeds the cumulated 62" linear allowed by the airlines. They have started charging excess-size fees for it... In my case (3 to 4 flights from Arizona to African destinations, plus return flights) this will quickly add up to $800. I can think of better ways to spend $800...

I guess that I could do the multi layers set up in the 1700, and put the scopes in it too, but I prefer to have a full layer of protection under and over the layer that contains the parts. I already had one fine rifle destroyed during airport handling, so I play it safe now...
Yes. I saw that very stock receiver for sale on GB myself. It was definitely a good deal. Not sure what you paid for it, but last I saw it was at $1650.00 or so.

That’s interesting, up until now I was not aware the 1750 exceeded the standard luggage limit. I've only flown it a few times within Australia and few times between Europe and Oz and the dimensions were never questioned. There was always so much excitement amongst the airport staff that the focus must have been on other things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg