Lifetime bronze benefactor
Platinum supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I just cannot handle the power of my brand new 470 NE Rhino Express. I have found a 450-400 that will reduce my recoil by 40% I am buying. On a rest gun shoots incredible from 50 yards for which it is regulated. The Barns bullets shoot awesome through it with great accuracy from both barrels with both landing within an inch from each other at 50 yards. Includes new Rhino Express case with regulation paper. The following is what I paid: 6 boxes 20 CT of Barnes TSX 500 grain bullets cost Midway $900.00. Set of RCBS dies $200, Gun $11,200 (see Rizzini Page to confirm). Total cost $12,300.00. I am selling for $10,300 firm plus you pay shipping. I am including RIzzini pictures also showing their gun detail with current price for your review. Yes it is from their site but gun no different given only 3 months old. My gun is the coin version shown.

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 11.01.30 AM.png

Attachments

• Rizzini 470 NE.pdf
    350.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be able to handle a 9 pound 470 off the bench, either.

Add a decelerator, a mercury tube, and shoot off a standing "bench" and I think you'll see and feel a world of difference?

Unless you've already pulled the trigger on the 450-400...in that case, ignore me!

Unable to view the photo(s)?

I would not be able to handle a 9 pound 470 off the bench, either.

Add a decelerator, a mercury tube, and shoot off a standing "bench" and I think you'll see and feel a world of difference?

Unless you've already pulled the trigger on the 450-400...in that case, ignore me!
This is excellent advice and I agree with tarbe; keep the 470 and have fun!

I also found that 48gr of AA5744 with a 500gr bullet was totally comfortable to shoot and hit close enough to point of aim at 25 yards to provide great familiarization/practice.

Velocity of this load was 1,560 fps average in my rifle.

I used 49.5gr of the same powder as well, but did not chronograph them.

For every day shooting handload some lower velocity, Use the factory high velocity for hunting Dangerous game, replace the recoil pad with a kick ease or similar install a couple of mercury tubes and you will do fine. I rarely shoot ammo near factory specs except when using it for a hunting situation and even then I will be slighly reduced. I don't need the abuse nor does the gun and the animal surely will not and believe it or not slower velocity penetrates deeper since the nose of the bullet will not expand hindering penetration

For every day shooting handload some lower velocity, Use the factory high velocity for hunting Dangerous game, replace the recoil pad with a kick ease or similar install a couple of mercury tubes and you will do fine. I rarely shoot ammo near factory specs except when using it for a hunting situation and even then I will be slighly reduced. I don't need the abuse nor does the gun and the animal surely will not and believe it or not slower velocity penetrates deeper since the nose of the bullet will not expand hindering penetration

You can hardly call 470 ammunition high velocity....and it's a double so chances are it will shoot badly with downloaded ammunition....tarbe seems to have lucked out...shoot standing with sticks ....should be not too bad then...it is light but I like light rifles...am allergic to carrying heavy things....as said try having a recoil reducer fitted...and not mercury ones as airlines dont like mercury...and from.what I understand you cant get them made with mercurynow anyway...hopefully it wont mess up balance....

...and not mercury ones as airlines dont like mercury...
I actually had a Dead Mule in my 470. I tend to use "mercury" as a generic term because they were so dominant in the market for so long.

When I say high velocity that is contingent on the velocity of a factory load. I shoot a 500NE and I shoot reduced loads all the time, mainly at 50 Yards or less because I personally feel they are short range useful. I did see a gent shoot an antelope at 300 yards with a scope mounted 375 don't recall if it was a H&H or a rimmed version. If I did not see it I would not have believed it. When I shoot a reduced load I keep in mind the where each barrel hits, then adjust the POA for the other barrel
. I did not know mercury was not allowed on aircraft...what do they take your gun apart? I always shoot standing up, I had my double doubled on 2 occasions with factory load, first time both barrels at the same time the second time a delayed double near the peak of recoil with Hornady DGS, the range I belong to has 1" steel plates at various ranges, I hit the one at 5 yards, the plate stopped it and had a crater I describe as a poached egg.

I actually had a Dead Mule in my 470. I tend to use "mercury" as a generic term because they were so dominant in the market for so long.

Sorry to op ...but are they good...looking for one for my 500 jeff as with the synthetic stock on it ..its bit over 9lbs...wood one it 10lbs or so and fine...not bad to shoot but jumps up ...so looking to sort recoil reducer that's not heavy as balance is good...and then ask a nice person to bring it out for me this year... :E Big Grin:

When I say high velocity that is contingent on the velocity of a factory load. I shoot a 500NE and I shoot reduced loads all the time, mainly at 50 Yards or less because I personally feel they are short range useful. I did see a gent shoot an antelope at 300 yards with a scope mounted 375 don't recall if it was a H&H or a rimmed version. If I did not see it I would not have believed it. When I shoot a reduced load I keep in mind the where each barrel hits, then adjust the POA for the other barrel
. I did not know mercury was not allowed on aircraft...what do they take your gun apart? I always shoot standing up, I had my double doubled on 2 occasions with factory load, first time both barrels at the same time the second time a delayed double near the peak of recoil with Hornady DGS, the range I belong to has 1" steel plates at various ranges, I hit the one at 5 yards, the plate stopped it and had a crater I describe as a poached egg.

Sounds a bit complicated remembering where the shot goes...then it also not going to work well if you hunting and you screw up because you are thinking maybe subconsciously of where it's going to shoot...presume it doubled as you hit other trigger during recoil...or must be an issue with the rifle...

If you ever encounter a zim impala you just may be under gunned with a 470! I will only hunt impala(black faced death) with a 500 minimum now! Glad i am still here to tell the story!
@DaveL @John Sharp @tarbe

nice looking rifle though, good luck on the sale!

Classic, classic, classic... and sad... but easily fixable...

And therein lays the demonstration, if any was ever needed, that:

1) Rifles in this power class should weigh 10.5 to 11 lbs. for most of us mere mortals, which is what they have been made to weigh, and for good reason, for close to 100 years.

2) Rifles in this power class should be shot from the old British standing bench.

So, how do we fix this? Quite simple:

1)
I would advise against anything mercury these days - these are technically not allowed on airplanes anymore, but reducers that add dynamic effect to mass are more effective that simple lead weights. Consider installing a Blaser 16 ounce tungsten powder "kickstop" in the stock. It will bring the rifle to 10 lbs. 9 oz. where it should have been to begin with, and will significantly reduce felt recoil. Any reasonably careful man can do this, but just to be on the safe side, have a qualified stock-smith do it to avoid adding insult to injury :rolleyes:

2) Only glutton-for-punishment folks shoot rifles in this power class from the classic American bench. At the very least, shoot from a high table and low stool so that the back is straight and allowed to roll back with recoil, as opposed to hunched down on the stock, or better, consider shooting standing from the (tripod) sticks to allow the entire body to roll back with recoil. Good technique on the sticks will provide close to benchrest steadiness, and in any case enough steadiness for 50 yards open sights shooting.

3) Consider trying the above #1 and #2 before selling the rifle, while keeping in mind that many/most golden age and modern PHs who made a name hunting elephants (among the modern ones, Buzz Charlton comes to mind because I just read his book and saw his videos where he shows quite convincingly that a .40 is a great killer but a poor stopper; or Wayne Van Den Bergh of Nyamazana Safaris with whom I will be hunting elephant this coming August and who swears by his .458 Lott) will tell you that the 450-400 is a great caliber but it is no .450 / .470 / .500 when the chips are down and an infuriated "Zambesi Lady" elephant cow is coming...

Rare Breed, dear friend, do not walk away yet, your trouble is easy to fix :) and you are not the first one learning to shoot a double either ;)

Last edited:
I just cannot handle the power of my brand new 470 NE Rhino Express. I have found a 450-400 that will reduce my recoil by 40% I am buying. On a rest gun shoots incredible from 50 yards for which it is regulated. The Barns bullets shoot awesome through it with great accuracy from both barrels with both landing within an inch from each other at 50 yards. Includes new Rhino Express case with regulation paper. The following is what I paid: 6 boxes 20 CT of Barnes TSX 500 grain bullets cost Midway $900.00. Set of RCBS dies $200, Gun $11,200 (see Rizzini Page to confirm). Total cost $12,300.00. I am selling for $10,300 firm plus you pay shipping. I am including RIzzini pictures also showing their gun detail with current price for your review. Yes it is from their site but gun no different given only 3 months old. My gun is the coin version shown.

View attachment 393265
before you sell this gun do a couple of things. as @TOBY458 said shoot this rifle standing up and leaning into it. Obtain and use a Pachmayr slip on recoil reduction pad. You may well change your mind. As an owner of a 470 NE I will tell you it’s not a gun you take to the range and fire 50 rounds In a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross