FN Mauser project

Great job on the stock!

You’re not going to get those potential long shots mentioned earlier in the thread from a 416 Taylor… but I do think it’s a potentially good option for you…

You’d likely need to let the barrel channel out a little bit.. but other than that, your work would be done.

Hand loading using 400 gr projectiles you can get 416 Rigby performance out of it… there is nothing on the planet you can’t hunt…

Or step it down to 350gr projectiles and you’ve got a legitimate 200-250 yard gun that you can tag medium to large PG with effectively..

Loaded ammo for 416T can be challenging.. but Norma does a run or two every year. You can get properly head stamped brass from Norma as well as a few others as well..

Components are easy… 458 WM necks down… lots of 458 WM brass is available. 338 WM necks up.. that’s even easier to find… and Cabelas typically has a couple of boxes of 400gr TSX on the shelf over in Allen any time you need bullets.. Lee dies are usually pretty easy to find as well..

If you have any interest in 416 Taylor, you’re welcome to shoot mine and give it a test drive. I’ve got probably 50 rounds loaded up at the moment… and my Taylor is also built on a Mauser action (Brazilian M98)… I’m local to you… can link up at any of the North or Central DFW ranges…

Last edited:
Great job on the stock!

You’re not going to get those potential long shots mentioned earlier in the thread from a 416 Taylor… but I do think it’s a potentially good option for you…

You’d likely need to let the barrel channel out a little bit.. but other than that, your work would be done.

Hand loading using 400 gr projectiles you can get 416 Rigby performance out of it… there is nothing on the planet you can’t hunt…

Or step it down to 350gr projectiles and you’ve got a legitimate 200-250 yard gun that you can tag medium to large PG with effectively..

Loaded ammo for 416T can be challenging.. but Norma does a run or two every year. You can get properly head stamped brass from Norma as well as a few others as well..

Components are easy… 458 WM necks down… lots of 458 WM brass is available. 338 WM necks up.. that’s even easier to find… and Cabelas typically has a couple of boxes of 400gr TSX on the shelf over in Allen any time you need bullets.. Lee dies are usually pretty easy to find as well..

If you have any interest in 416 Taylor, you’re welcome to shoot mine and give it a test drive. I’ve got probably 50 rounds loaded up at the moment… and my Taylor is also built on a Mauser action (Brazilian M98)… I’m local to you… can link up at any of the North or Central DFW ranges…
Thanks! If this changes caliber at all it will most certainly be a .416T. I already have a barrel picked out. The barrel channel will require minimal modification as the factory barrel is pretty heavy. I’m well set up for handloading and already have a brass supplier (for now).

I built a 416 Taylor about 30 years ago, it started as a Ruger 77 mk1 458 win recoil, was too much for me. so i had it re barreled with a Douglas bbl same contour as original & reused the sights got a Redding die set never had any factory ammo then, made it out of 338 brass & mostly used Taipan 350 grain round nose bullets it thumped any thing you shot with it. like a fool sold it to finance a nother project. Easy to form brass & load for i annealed the cases after necking them up to 416. it fead out of the Ruger mag like it was made for it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg