Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
Hello Everyone,
I am flying Ethiopian Airlines November 8th from Dulles Airport to my final destination in Harare Zimbabwe, with a 2 hour layover in Addis Ababa. I know that I will be checking my rifle in with TSA in Dulles for my flight to Addis, and I have do my 4457, so I am wondering if my rifle will need to be checked in/inspected again in Addis. I read several different experiences here on African Hunting but I don't see any information about it on their website.
I am hoping that someone here can fill me in on what to expect when I get there and if I do in fact need to re-check my rifle. If I do have to re-check it, do I have to seek someone out or will someone contact me??
After reading comments here, it seems that some of you were pleased with the airline and service and a few of you are not.
I would especially like to hear from anyone who has traveled recently.
Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated!
PS I am hunting near Bulawayo for a big Leopard, and with some luck I will be posting a Hunting Report!

MMAL

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
I was through ADD in late Sept and again in Oct. When you get off the plane look for a gate agent with your name on a hand held sign. If you don’t see one, find a gate agent and tell them you are traveling with a gun. They will take you to the underground baggage claim ask you to unlock your gun case and check your firearms. You need a copy of the Ethiopian gun application, a copy of the 4457 and a copy of you passport. Remember you have to come back through on the way home as well. Two copies. After that back to gate, through security, not immigration, and to the next gate. It is simple, costs nothing but a little chaotic. Just want to get it done to make sure you and your bags get to the next plane.

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
I was through ADD in late Sept and again in Oct. When you get off the plane look for a gate agent with your name on a hand held sign. If you don’t see one, find a gate agent and tell them you are traveling with a gun. They will take you to the underground baggage claim ask you to unlock your gun case and check your firearms. You need a copy of the Ethiopian gun application, a copy of the 4457 and a copy of you passport. Remember you have to come back through on the way home as well. Two copies. After that back to gate, through security, not immigration, and to the next gate. It is simple, costs nothing but a little chaotic. Just want to get it done to make sure you and your bags get to the next plane.
Thank You for your response!! That doesn't sound too bad LOL.

Do you know where I can find a Ethiopian Gun Application??
I'm so glad that you responded since I had no idea that I needed copy's of my passport and 4457 as well. I wonder what happens to people who aren't prepared?

I have a 2 hour layover so I assume I'm OK?

MMAL

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
BTW - The form below and most of the information, I got from Lori @travelexpress. She and her team were awesome advising and changing my flight three times as the airlines were getting there $^!% together. EA airlines and staff were really nice and I did not have a copy of my 4457, they just went and made a copy for me, just took a little time. Going we had an 1 1/4 layover. They held the plane for me. Not sure they will do that in the future, but then maybe they will get this process a little more organized because right now it seems a little haphazard. They are not a really technical about the form either. On your copy the bag no, agent sign, manager sign and even my signature was not filled out. They just took the form. The key point I will make is that if they are not there to meet you at the gate, raise your hand so to speak and force the issue.

Attachments

• ET Firearm Declaration Form 2.pdf
    265.9 KB · Views: 24

gesch

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sheboygan Rifle and Pistol Club NRA
Hunted
WI, WY, AL, TN, KY, Namibia (x2)
Thanks for this information. I am in contact with Lori at Travel Express for options for my hunt in April 2021. We were scheduled to go in 2020 but were forced to re schedule. Do you have any safety concerns? It seems that this may be one of the few ways to get to Namibia. Thanks for your help. “With many counselors there is wisdom!” By the way I am very impressed with Travel Express and Lori. Brian

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Thank You for your response!! That doesn't sound too bad LOL.

Do you know where I can find a Ethiopian Gun Application??
I'm so glad that you responded since I had no idea that I needed copy's of my passport and 4457 as well. I wonder what happens to people who aren't prepared?

I have a 2 hour layover so I assume I'm OK?
ALWAYS have extra color copies of your passport when traveling internationally. ALWAYS.

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
After everything that has happened this year AND with the election coming on Nov 3rd, it is still hard to believe that I'm going....I told my wife that I will really believe it when I am sitting in camp and I see a Zebra run by;)

I am not crazy about flying Ethiopian but I will do whatever I need to do to be there. Hopefully I won't see a drunk one armed Pilot with a glass eye

Terry Blauwkamp

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Nambia, & South Africa
Did you have to have your ammo box separate, or can it be in the luggage?

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
Just thinking now, and I guess a part#2 to my original question. Yes from Addis I am flying to Harare BUT there is first a stopover in Zambia....do I need to claim and have my rifle inspected again???

Please tell me no;)

MMAL

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
All ammo was in a locked case inside my bag. They never checked the weight or the ammo, either way or in add.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanteIbarr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards