Flyers

Interesting subject, till now I did not realize this sport still exists!

I didn’t either.

I thoroughly enjoy trap and skeet… and do a little sporting clays as well…

Now I am very interested in yet another shotgun sport!
 
Now I am very interested in yet another shotgun sport!
Be careful. I googled recent internet releases on this sport. You can guess what they look like.
 
Be careful. I googled recent internet releases on this sport. You can guess what they look like.
Careful of what? Yes, the bunny (pigeon) huggers would love to stop it everywhere - just like hunting. As I noted in my post, it is a perfectly legal sport in many states in the US including Texas. Private property rights are also rigorously protected in this state.
 
Last edited:
Careful of what?
I thought of posting movies on YT....or similar platforms.
I agree on all your above comments! (y)

Btw, there is something on YT shooting podcast about it:
 
Have read @Red Leg talk about these shoots before. It is definitely interesting to read about. It is one of those things I would like to try. Why would I like to try? If I were to actually do it my personality would be to jump in with both feet.

I have never met someone who was a master in all shooting sports. Meaning they could go to a pistol match win it. Then go to the 22 match and win it, then fclass, prs, trap,skeet. They are all different skill sets that require a huge amount of honing to be top of that game. Have spent a long time honing my rifle skills at the expense of the others. So for myself, this is very interesting and gives me pause of what that might do to me, haha.
 
[850] Achilles next offered a prize of iron for archery - ten double-edged axes and ten with single eddies: he set up a ship’s mast, some way off upon the sands, and with a fine string tied a pigeon to it by the foot; this was what they were to aim at.

[850] "Whoever," he said, "can hit the pigeon shall have all the axes and take them away with him; he who hits the string without hitting the bird will have taken a worse aim and shall have the single-edged axes."


This is extract from Iliade, by Homer. Shooting pigeon by bow and arrow.
Probably the first written evidence of shooting sports in history.
 
Man before firearms, has been hunting pigeons with falcons for thousands of years. My son and I were in an 1000 year old pigeon tower in Portugal this spring. Mismarked on the historical plaque it said it was for raising pigeons to placate the anti hunting folks. It was obvious that the upper rooms and tower were the release ports and the balconies from which the falconers hunted from. Here is a picture of a ancient tower
IMG_3485.jpeg
 
I am a self confessed addict to this sport and curious how many other like minded individuals there are on here. Pigeons have contributed to a serious reduction in my hunting activities since 2019.
I shot box birds for several years. Tons of fun.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,570,809
Members
169,024
Latest member
OdellBoehm
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top