First Safari! Most versatile Plains Game cartridge...

Ah! I did, didn't I? I have a .308 that I absolutely love. You hit the nail on the head with the redundancy, especially since my first couple of trips will be in the bushveld.
You made a great choice picking up a 375 then.
I think any .30cal paired with your new .375 will be a great two gun set up for any safari.

You can always get the superior 30-06 down the road :cool::ROFLMAO:

30-06 with 200gr Nosler Partition, sweet music to my ears. Plus you get to absolutely fall in love with a new superior rifle.

I've personally taken most of my plains game over the years, with a .30-06 Springfield. And yes, I can personally attest that it works great on even kudu and elands (provided that one is using 220Gr bullets). Over the years, I used to employ the 180Gr and 220Gr Remington Core Lokt. Today, I use the Sako Hammerhead in both the same weights. I use the 180Gr bullet for almost all of my plains game and the 220Gr for kudu and eland (and sometimes wildebeest).

Other versatile plains game calibers are definitely the .338 Winchester Magnum and the 9.3x62mm Mauser. They will (in all probability) offer you a greater margin for error on the eland or the kudu.

Hi gents,

I'm new here, and recently booked my first safari (Aug. 2023) and needless to say - I'M STOKED!!

To mark the occasion (and my 30th birthday in July 2022), I'm picking up a new rifle. I'm torn between the below, and would love any thoughts! As an aside, I'll exclusively be hunting PG Kudu and smaller for the next few years until I can afford to dance with buffalo. I'll be hunting in SA.
  • .308 - classic, low recoil, shorter barrels with lighter platforms = maneuverability and comfort
  • .30-06 - I know it's great, but I don't want one
  • .300 Win Mag - flatter trajectory and more energy out to 500 (I do not shoot past 500, and rarely even that). I'm not recoil sensitive, but it's double .308.
  • .373 H&H - It's just Africa, baby!
Any thoughts and feedback on a decision between the three, or particular platforms (other than the usual suspects) that you've had success with would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

I think your last bullet comment says it all.....gotta go 375! That was my reason in bringing a .375 anyway!

... As an aside, I'll exclusively be hunting PG Kudu and smaller for the next few years until I can afford to dance with buffalo. I'll be hunting in SA.
  • .308 - classic, low recoil, shorter barrels with lighter platforms = maneuverability and comfort
  • .30-06 - I know it's great, but I don't want one
  • .300 Win Mag - flatter trajectory and more energy out to 500 (I do not shoot past 500, and rarely even that). I'm not recoil sensitive, but it's double .308.
  • .373 H&H - It's just Africa, baby!
Any and all of listed cartridges will get it done, but remember - it's all about your abilities in the field and the bullet you choose to launch.

Like others have already mentioned, you really ought to begin educating yourself about the 9.3x62mm.

If you handload, then you're golden because as you gain practical field experience you are able to upload and download the ammo to fit the circumstances.

Given those common cartridges, 80% of your practice should be field practice - sticks, off-hand, off knee, etc., and not from behind a bench.

Oh, yea - don't forget to have fun :)

300 win mag will be my choice. Energy helps if you don’t make a perfect shot. If you have a longer shot it’s certainly capable. With a good bullet it will kill about anything

You say kudu or smaller. What happened to wildebeest, zebra and eland? Any chance for one of those and, IMO, it would be 375 HH, no question.

Take only what Africa offers- if the kudu that present themselves are marginal, tight curl things might be a good idea passing them up. If however a broomed horn old blue eland bull pops up, you will be forever thankful for the confidence afforded by a 375HH. :)

Last edited:
All your options will work, but if you want something truly magnificent go with an 8x68S. The cartridge is not all that well known globally, but an absolute hammer on plains game and used frequently throughout Namibia, South Africa's north-western neighbor. 200 gr fly at about 2900 - 3000 ft/s, use a premium bullet and anything eland sized and smaller just drops at the shot. With certain loads you can also reach the required 5400 Joule for DG in Namibia (not saying you should, but you could). Can be loaded up to 250 gr for the big critters.

Loaded question for sure.

Most importantly a caliber you can constantly put in the exact place you need it.
Jerking around a large caliber and shooting something in the ass is stupid.
I have seen a lady shoot a lion with a .243 and with 1 shot the cat was done.
Kudu taken with 6.5 Creedmoor. That .375, 416, 500NE don't mean nothing if you cant
put it where it needs to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg