First Safari! Most versatile Plains Game cartridge...

Actually, any of the classic, time proven cartridges like 7x57, .270, .308, .30-06, with a proper bullet and good shot placement will be enough for all plainsgame.

But... it´s your choice, so, whatever makes you more comfortable !

Depending on where you intend on hunting in Africa, there is pretty low probability you will ever see a 300+ shot.. and you'll certainly never take a 300+ on any DG..

I personally have never had a 300+ opportunity in Africa.. the longest shot I have ever taken was right at 250 on an impala in 2019.. the vast majority of the shooting I have done in South Africa specifically has been in the 75-120 yard range..

All that said.. if you know you are chasing PG exclusively, the 375 H&H is more than capable enough at 300... I'd just recommend stoking it with projectiles somewhere between 235 - 270gr rather than the traditional 300-350gr you see most people using..

I used 260gr Nosler Partitions on my first trip over (every trip after I have used barnes 300gr TSX)... the 260gr partitions were absolutely devastating on everything hit with them.. and youre getting plenty of velocity and BC to keep the bullet effective at the longer ranges you are talking about (I think Nosler loads them to about 2700 fps?)...

My closest shots have been 4 yards on a bushbuck and 9 yards on a buff. Longest on wounded eland in Mozambique was 525 yards. I’ve shot bushbuck at 800 yards in rolling hills with pretty thick bush and little open patches.

I think you need to be able to shoot 300 yards at a minimum to capitalize on all good opportunities.

There is a lot to be said for the 375, even on a plains game hunt. It’s not as out a place a choice as it may seem…. And you get experience with it now, if you later go buffalo hunting.

If you want one now and one later, and reload, then it’s the 300 H&H…. Makes a nice composed pair when you have both….

My vote would be for the 375 H&H as well.

I did the same thing that you're doing now when prepping for my first safari. Landed on a 375 H&H and don't regret it. Well, actually have one regret. Gun store guy talked me into getting a low power scope because it would be "the only thing that could handle this cannon." BS. It only limited my range for long shots or tiny game.

I've since upgraded to a Trijicon Credo with much more upside. Easily walked it out to 500 yds on steel with 250 gr Barnes handloads and would feel comfortable taking that shot if it were all I had (like on elk).

Invest in a true classic that can do everything, put quality glass on top that can give you reach, and you won't be disappointed. Enjoy your trip, you only get one first safari. I'm a little jealous.

The 30-06 is the best one of the bunch IMHO. More versatility with bullets than the 308, very handy if you happen to want to go after eland, and practically the same weight of rifles and less recoil than the 300 WM while still capable of 300+ yd shots. I know the 375 is "classic Africa", but I think it's too much for just kudu and smaller and as you say, years of PG hunting until you can go for buffalo.

But it ain't my rifle or my hunt so get whatever tickles your fancy.

You didn't mention budget, so I'm going to break the budget that wasn't mentioned with my dream set up.

Get a "Traveler" style rifle. One receiver, two (or more) barrels, as long as the base of the cartridge is the same. Get the .300 H&H barrel now. When you go back, get the .375 H&H barrel to go with it and take both. In the future, if you really want to explore hand loading, get another in .275 H&H. Now you're all set for anything.

I am with @YancyW and @mdwest ... all will not only work but work well, bullet type is more important, and the strong likelihood is that all of your shots will be under 300.

Hi gents,

I'm new here, and recently booked my first safari (Aug. 2023) and needless to say - I'M STOKED!!

To mark the occasion (and my 30th birthday in July 2022), I'm picking up a new rifle. I'm torn between the below, and would love any thoughts! As an aside, I'll exclusively be hunting PG Kudu and smaller for the next few years until I can afford to dance with buffalo. I'll be hunting in SA.
  • .308 - classic, low recoil, shorter barrels with lighter platforms = maneuverability and comfort
  • .30-06 - I know it's great, but I don't want one
  • .300 Win Mag - flatter trajectory and more energy out to 500 (I do not shoot past 500, and rarely even that). I'm not recoil sensitive, but it's double .308.
  • .373 H&H - It's just Africa, baby!
Any thoughts and feedback on a decision between the three, or particular platforms (other than the usual suspects) that you've had success with would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
To me simple answer based on you. If you can only afford one rifle yet will one day hunt Buff then the 375 is your gun for both PG and DG up to Elephant. However, I took my Kudu at 378 yards which is really stretching it for a 375… a 300 WM was the trick. If it was me I would have two guns…the 300 WM for any and all PG and the 375 for DG

Hi gents,

I'm new here, and recently booked my first safari (Aug. 2023) and needless to say - I'M STOKED!!

To mark the occasion (and my 30th birthday in July 2022), I'm picking up a new rifle. I'm torn between the below, and would love any thoughts! As an aside, I'll exclusively be hunting PG Kudu and smaller for the next few years until I can afford to dance with buffalo. I'll be hunting in SA.
  • .308 - classic, low recoil, shorter barrels with lighter platforms = maneuverability and comfort
  • .30-06 - I know it's great, but I don't want one
  • .300 Win Mag - flatter trajectory and more energy out to 500 (I do not shoot past 500, and rarely even that). I'm not recoil sensitive, but it's double .308.
  • .373 H&H - It's just Africa, baby!
Any thoughts and feedback on a decision between the three, or particular platforms (other than the usual suspects) that you've had success with would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Fellow South Carolinian:

Go for the "three-seven-five". Since I bought one for my first safari, I have used it exclusively on South Carolina whitetails, pigs, and even a coyote. With Swift A frames and some good solids, there is nothing that walks this planet that it cannot stop. I have a Ruger RMS and love it.

Shoot it often and get used to it. Go Cocks.

What are you currently shooting and what is your ability - especially shooting from tripod "sticks"? Are you budgeting for ample practice?

Unless your skill level is already way up there, you should budget for (IMO) 1k and preferably 2k practice rounds over the next year+. Mostly from the sticks. Doesn't have to be from the new rifle if something in similar configuration already exists of course.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that everyone should have at least one good 30-06. (My most used practice rifle is a very plain-jane 308.)

For your "PG Only" first safari, get the 300 winmag. Plenty of stopping power for all the African PG. In a few years when you book your buffalo hunt, get a 375 or 416 and take both rifles.
My two gun battery for two hunts in 2018 and 2019 was a M70 Super Grade 300 winmag and a 375 H&H double. I took a buffalo and a nyala with the 375 and used the 300 winmag on everything else including a nice eland bull, kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, water buck, bush buck, impala, etc.
I used the 375 double on the nyala because he was in thick cover and close quarters.

Fellow South Carolinian:

Go for the "three-seven-five". Since I bought one for my first safari, I have used it exclusively on South Carolina whitetails, pigs, and even a coyote. With Swift A frames and some good solids, there is nothing that walks this planet that it cannot stop. I have a Ruger RMS and love it.

Shoot it often and get used to it. Go Cocks.
Right on! What part of the state are you in? I am down in Charleston.

Surprised you have started using it over other cartridges here. What led you to that?

To me simple answer based on you. If you can only afford one rifle yet will one day hunt Buff then the 375 is your gun for both PG and DG up to Elephant. However, I took my Kudu at 378 yards which is really stretching it for a 375… a 300 WM was the trick. If it was me I would have two guns…the 300 WM for any and all PG and the 375 for DG
So what you're saying is.... I need both ha!

375 H&H all day. Got one for Christmas and can’t believe I waited this long. Mine is a browning x-bolt. Under 8pounds. 338 federal in a kimber is my second choice. I have shot most everything including and eland with mine.

STOP….a 30 06 will suffice…looose ammo…everywhere....stoppinin* power. On plains game..absoluetly. Buffalo….later….375 h h and above, if you can shoot heavier go for It… the 06 is The plains game killer…ask me how I know?

I would roll with 30.06 (or .308) or .300.

Now obviously I’m a fan of a .375H&H, but one of the others would be more versatile for plains game and stuff back home. It also depends on where you will be hunting. Some places are thick and shots are generally under 100. Other places are open and allow longer shots. The Area you will be hunting also impacts your choice.

300wm, when you start getting to the bigger animals it's nice to have the extra energy. [Thinking Eland, Roan, Blue wildebeest]

That said, I used a 375h&h on all my PG. I had it has a backup to my 416REM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.